How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is all very interesting to read. In my former Bolt, I very often got way above the EPA rating in summer just doing city driving (stop n go, almost never above 45mph) but doing highway speeds of 70 to 80mph, MUCH less than EPA rating and winter was the worst. I got as good as 310mile range (EPA rating was 239 btw) and as bad as 140miles in extreme winter cold and highway use was around 190 mile range.

So is anyone doing all city driving seeing way above the EPA rating yet?

I don’t think the car can “learn” to provide better range… at least not until the car can drive itself. Presumably it can learn to provide more accurate range estimates for individual drivers based on past results.

Regen settings is a very good point. I assume the most “aggressive” setting is used for EPA because that yields the best result. Likewise the EPA testing would have used “smooth” drive setting.

I think when comparing range experiences it’s important to know what settings were used.

I spoke to a service technician today about this possible break in period. He commented that there isn't a break in period at all - it just takes the car some time to learn driving habits. And that there is no magically update. He did not have an answer as to why m/kwh seem to improve over time. He did say that the car testers are instructed to ride the car hard before delivery. I had 30 miles on the car when I picked it up and he said half of those were probably at a very low m/kwh.
I would be very interested if there is any truth to the range improving over a period of time. This is opposite from everything I have known related to the battery performance. The battery range is best on day one with battery degradation leading to reduced range over time. The range reduces quickly during the early years then levels off. My Tesla is a 2016 90D and started with a range of 292. It is approaching six years of use with 60K miles and 272 miles of range.

It is hard to believe the Lucid range improves over time when battery degradation is occurring. If this is true, Lucid must have placed a software limitation on the system that affects range during the early days. Batteries degrade, they do not improve.

If anyone knows a Lucid engineer, it would be nice to hear his/her comments.

I would be very interested if there is any truth to the range improving over a period of time. This is opposite from everything I have known related to the battery performance. The battery range is best on day one with battery degradation leading to reduced range over time. The range reduces quickly during the early years then levels off. My Tesla is a 2016 90D and started with a range of 292. It is approaching six years of use with 60K miles and 272 miles of range.

It is hard to believe the Lucid range improves over time when battery degradation is occurring. If this is true, Lucid must have placed a software limitation on the system that affects range during the early days. Batteries degrade, they do not improve.

If anyone knows a Lucid engineer, it would be nice to hear his/her comments.
The technician’s point was that the range you see will change over time as the car learns your driving habits. And that the range you see when you pick up your car might be artificially low since the testers are aggressive when driving your car before you get it. It has nothing to do with battery improvement or degradation.

The technician’s point was that the range you see will change over time as the car learns your driving habits. And that the range you see when you pick up your car might be artificially low since the testers are aggressive when driving your car before you get it. It has nothing to do with battery improvement or degradation.
Funnily enough, when I picked up my car the range showed at 541 miles. Now at full charge it only shows 445.

That's because you only had 7 miles on car if I remember correctly!!:D I do remember a number of people (me included) who had way less than predicted range when picking up car.

So this is the opposite of walking to school in the snow uphill both ways...but yea I think driving habits will definitely be a very large determine factor of efficiency
So, you had alot of snow growing up in Beverly Hills?

So, you had alot of snow growing up in Beverly Hills?
Sure...there is lots of that white powdery stuff in Beverly Hills😈

Sure...there is lots of that white powdery stuff in Beverly Hills😈
Not one to favor stereotypes, but as the doc diagnosed sleep apnea, I can say I didn't inhale.

I think range improves as you learn your car (and if that is what you are after). Having my first EV be an i3 that only got 70 miles on a full charge, I was obsessed with getting the most range out of that car. I could drop my kids at school (a 14 mi round trip) and come back with only a couple mile loss - most on hilly roads at 55 mph. I didn't care with my Tesla, except when going down mountains, because the regen is so low, but it is fun to play aound with the Air and figure out how to coast down hllls and off exit ramps and up to stops to get the most out of it. Another thing that is an important factor is whether you are truly using one pedal driving or if you use the brake a lot. One pedal driving will up your range.

I have yet to use ACC, so I know my style of driving is not for everyone. The car is so fun to drive, I have no desire to try it.

So 3821.1 Miles in a week of ownership 1321 kWh used 2.9 mi/kWh was my average mostly highway.
This morning no wind 44 degrees just off the charger I drove 47 miles never going over 55 mostly, 45 and under driving SUPER conservative, no heat, radio no heated seats or A/C
I got 3.1 mi/kWh which i think is unacceptable. If the battery were full it would be an equivalent range of 347 which is 26% less the the stated range.

I see videos of Lucid motors and other youtubers getting with in 20 miles of the stated max range. Almost 4000 miles of driving and with a lot effort, trying to get close to the max range I'm ALWAYS SHORT by at least 120 miles... Something is wrong with this car.

My tesla if I drove under 50 could easily exceed the max range stated by tesla

So 3821.1 Miles in a week of ownership 1321 kWh used 2.9 mi/kWh was my average mostly highway.
This morning no wind 44 degrees just off the charger I drove 47 miles never going over 55 mostly, 45 and under driving SUPER conservative, no heat, radio no heated seats or A/C
I got 3.1 mi/kWh which i think is unacceptable. If the battery were full it would be an equivalent range of 347 which is 26% less the the stated range.

I see videos of Lucid motors and other youtubers getting with in 20 miles of the stated max range. Almost 4000 miles of driving and with a lot effort, trying to get close to the max range I'm ALWAYS SHORT by at least 120 miles... Something is wrong with this car.

My tesla if I drove under 50 could easily exceed the max range stated by tesla

Using that tool, and since they don't have the Lucid data included, I used the 2019 Model S as a comparison. At 44 F, the Model S was achieving 69% of it's stated range. You are getting 74% so it's within reason that what you are experiencing is "normal" given conditions you were driving. At least that's my take! Otherwise, report it to CS and have them pull the data logs out of your car (which they can do remotely)

Using that tool, and since they don't have the Lucid data included, I used the 2019 Model S as a comparison. At 44 F, the Model S was achieving 69% of it's stated range. You are getting 74% so it's within reason that what you are experiencing is "normal" given conditions you were driving. At least that's my take! Otherwise, report it to CS and have them pull the data logs out of your car (which they can do remotely)
I was loosing that amount in 70 degrees on a flat surface . Lucid agreed it should be getting much better after looking at the data and will me picking up the car next week .

I was loosing that amount in 70 degrees on a flat surface . Lucid agreed it should be getting much better after looking at the data and will me picking up the car next week .
Oh sorry I must've misread your post, I thought you said 44F for your whole drive.

I am curious what they find since many of us seem to be getting worse efficiency that expected and no I am not expecting to meet the EPA numbers.

This might sound stupid but how is your battery drain overnight? I lose about 2 miles of range every night

I am curious what they find since many of us seem to be getting worse efficiency that expected and no I am not expecting to meet the EPA numbers.
I am expecting something better the 26 % loss in perfect conditions.
And can some one explain to me why they have EPA Numbers for EV'S are not a Achievable?

I am expecting something better the 26 % loss in perfect conditions.
And can some one explain to me why they have EPA Numbers for EV'S are not a Achievable?
Because every car has to have them? The real question is why there are 2 different tests instead of a standard test. Plus ideal conditions yadda yadda

Back