How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well...considering you drove in the real world, I would say it was! Also a strong headwind will mess with your range by a lot.
Yesterday’s wind was the pits

almost stranded me in the back end of what I’d call LA, but I am sure is something like San Bernardino at 2am :(

saying that I ended up with an average of 6.4 miles/kWh over the Tejon Pass !!

LA to Lake Havasu with a charge stop in Palm Springs I averaged 3.1 Mile/kilowatt
I was told from Lucid Customer care that the Batteries and electric motors need a 2000 miles break in period. I'm hoping that is true because no matter what I have tried I can not get the stated range:(

It is a virtual impossibility to achieve the stated range. You will be able to for stretches of road on trips, but there are far too many variables in everyday weather and driving to achieve closed loop ratings like the EPA gets. You will be able to make some improvements, but don’t expect to get the RR. A battery break-in isn’t going to magically make you achieve ~4.5 mi/kWh. Are you on 19”, or 21”?

LA to Lake Havasu with a charge stop in Palm Springs I averaged 3.1 Mile/kilowatt
I was told from Lucid Customer care that the Batteries and electric motors need a 2000 miles break in period. I'm hoping that is true because no matter what I have tried I can not get the stated range:(
Didn’t know that. Am starting my 1,000 mile trip with probably around 500 miles. Guess I’ll figure in some extra stops.

It is a virtual impossibility to achieve the stated range. You will be able to for stretches of road on trips, but there are far too many variables in everyday weather and driving to achieve closed loop ratings like the EPA gets. You will be able to make some improvements, but don’t expect to get the RR. A battery break-in isn’t going to magically make you achieve ~4.5 mi/kWh. Are you on 19”, or 21”?
I'm Driving on 21" I don't expect to get 4.5 mi/kWh but I also don't feel 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh is acceptable driving 70 mph with the cruise on for 200 miles.
I have driven 1500 miles in the last 5 days and have averaged 2.8 mi/kWh 95% highway.

This youtuber got the stated range on a 500 mile trip please watch.

Lots of variables when you drive I will agree with that I'm getting nearly 1/2 the stated range with conservative driving . With that said I have owned a Tesla and have NEVER gotten 1/2 the stated range in summer driving conditions and I have done multi cross country Trips in a Tesla.

I was updated yesterday to 3000 Mile break in period from Lucid Customer care

I'm Driving on 21" I don't expect to get 4.5 mi/kWh but I also don't feel 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh is acceptable driving 70 mph with the cruise on for 200 miles.
I have driven 1500 miles in the last 5 days and have averaged 2.8 mi/kWh 95% highway.

Lots of variables when you drive I will agree with that I'm getting nearly 1/2 the stated range with conservative driving . With that said I have owned a Tesla and have NEVER gotten 1/2 the stated range in summer driving conditions and I have done multi cross country Trips in a Tesla.
You actually kept cruise at 70? You must be a saint!

Already watched that video. He drove the same loop, back and forth. He controlled every single variable he could, including altitude and speed checked by GPS. That’s not a good indicator of range unless you plan on repeating the identical stretch of road back and forth. In your case, you got 74% of your stated EPA range. I have no issues achieving more than 50% stated range in my MS for a trip like that..can’t speak to the Air yet.

You actually kept cruise at 70? You must be a saint!
I did I Wanted to see a better mile/kWh Number I even tried 55 mph for 25 miles after a charge and only got 3.2 mile/kWh in a loop back to the charger.

Strangely, noticed this morning that I was getting between 5.1 and 4.5 on my morning commute. It had been closer to 3.1-3.2 prior. Not sure if it was a 1 off or this mythical break-in period ended.

Strangely, noticed this morning that I was getting between 5.1 and 4.5 on my morning commute. It had been closer to 3.1-3.2 prior. Not sure if it was a 1 off or this mythical break-in period ended.
How many miles are on your car?

Well...considering you drove in the real world, I would say it was! Also a strong headwind will mess with your range by a lot.
I’m guessing a 15mph headwind would have a similar* detrimental effect as cruising at 85 (instead of 70) in still conditions would. (*not exactly the same because the higher road speed would probably introduce other losses due to increased rolling resistance and drivetrain losses to heat)

Last edited:
I did I Wanted to see a better mile/kWh Number I even tried 55 mph for 25 miles after a charge and only got 3.2 mile/kWh in a loop back to the charger.
That does seem a little “off” if this is over flat roads and no/little wind.

I have never heard of a “break-in” period with an EV before. A little strange

Did you happen to have a software update before you noticed the improved efficiency?

Good thing I’ll only need the extra range on road trips, which I only take a few times a year! For 90% of my driving I only need 100 miles of range.

That does seem a little “off” if this is over flat roads and no/little wind.

I have never heard of a “break-in” period with an EV before. A little strange
I’m curious about this too. Possibly a software defined setting to allow enough cycles to charge/discharge before allowing full performance. Maybe related to the different batteries between the DE and GT?

On my shopping run today, 4 markets in and out, mixed street and freeway, I averaged 3.2 mi/kwh over 22 miles without thinking and just driving normal

Does the car have a sensor that tells you if you're driving into a head wind or with a tail wind?

Back