How is creep mode supposed to work?

For example, if i back up a very slight uphill, stop, put it in park, enable creep, put it in reverse, a quick tap on the accelerator, and the car moves forward with gear in reverse!
I'm having a little trouble understanding what's going on here, as I'm also on 2.0.18 and I find it works exactly as bobofat said. Some points:
  1. I think there might be some confusion in this thread when people say they "enable" creep (by turning it on in the settings) vs. "activate" creep (by tapping on the accelerator lightly). There is only ever a need to enable creep in the settings once, and then just leave it. It will only be activated after you are stopped and then lightly tap the accelerator.
  2. When creep is actually activated after tapping the accelerator, it will show a warning message on the control panel to the left of the speedometer. If that warning message isn't shown then you aren't currently in creep mode.
Thus, from your post, it sounds like for some reason you didn't actually have creep mode activated - again, if you don't see the warning message on the dash, you're not in creep mode. Also, though, depending on the angle of the incline you were on, it's possible that the creep wasn't "strong enough" to overcome the force of gravity. My garage entrance has a slight lip so there are garage threshold ramps at the entrance - creep is just barely strong enough to get over those ramps. In this sense it works exactly how an ICE car with automatic transmission works.

Mine has never worked that way. Im now on 2.0.18. For example, if i back up a very slight uphill, stop, put it in park, enable creep, put it in reverse, a quick tap on the accelerator, and the car moves forward with gear in reverse!!! Also, cant regulate reverse (speed) with brake pedal but only with accelerator and regulate not only for desired speed but also according to slope of hill!! Guaranteed to cause mishaps and not how ice works. For example, stop at crosswalk, do reverse creep to help someone in wheel chair through pot holes and run him/her over instead.
I didn't understand the wheelchair creep example you gave.

But for the first half, I think that whole slope detection thing and the Lucid moving in opposite direction than what's intended is a known bug and is being investigated by the Lucid team.

I will comment and concur with all those folks saying that the car will roll opposite of what you intend if you are on a slope. I was playing with some scenarios, and I found a sizable slope to practice. I drove up the slope and came to a stop by letting off the accelerator and have the car on hold, without touching the brake. Then I initiated creep mode by gently touching the accelerator.

Now, if I didn't do anything, the car would follow the rules of gravity and go down the hill while I was still in drive. But if I push the accelerator down, then I had control and could move forward. Just note, the moment I let go of the accelerator, the car would again roll with gravity down the hill. Much like a manual car with the clutch pushed in.

Now if this was my first time using the car, this would be alarming, but I've learned how to overcome it and can guage how much pressure on the accelerator is needed to overcome gravity. Obviously this will change based on the slope you are on, but by no means do I think this is a major issue. I think this is just part of learning the car.

I will comment and concur with all those folks saying that the car will roll opposite of what you intend if you are on a slope. I was playing with some scenarios, and I found a sizable slope to practice. I drove up the slope and came to a stop by letting off the accelerator and have the car on hold, without touching the brake. Then I initiated creep mode by gently touching the accelerator.

Now, if I didn't do anything, the car would follow the rules of gravity and go down the hill while I was still in drive. But if I push the accelerator down, then I had control and could move forward. Just note, the moment I let go of the accelerator, the car would again roll with gravity down the hill. Much like a manual car with the clutch pushed in.

Now if this was my first time using the car, this would be alarming, but I've learned how to overcome it and can guage how much pressure on the accelerator is needed to overcome gravity. Obviously this will change based on the slope you are on, but by no means do I think this is a major issue. I think this is just part of learning the car.
Thats exactly what happens and may lead to fender benders and not what youd expect and not how a gas car works. Try to parallel park with creep on a gentle slope let alone on a decent slope and you may hit something. The first time i tried creep was when backing out of the garage almost hitting a door post. I thought creep meant extra slow or more than double the resolution of the accelerator or limit of max speed but it doesnt. Also stopipng at a light uphill, release brake to get going again and if youre not fast enough on the accelerator you roll into the car or pedestrian behind you. In my case, my drive way is curved and has a decent slope and i would end up in the yard once in while if i always had it in creep.

I think it should probably be like this:

1. hold and creep enabled: works as does now.
2. creep enabled, hold disabled: works like an ICE car in drive or reverse (without accelerator "tap")
3. ability to enable #2 for drive or reverse separately.

I think as this system matures. It is important to have options that the user can customize. This is a good example.

For the settings I was using, creep on, hold on, no roll, and when the car is on a sizeable slope, I'd liken the behavior to a car with manual transmission and the clutch pushed in. Once you release the clutch pedal, or in this case, step on the accelerator, the car engages the motor and works like you'd expect in the direction you expect. If you're slow on the clutch release and giving gas in a manual transmission, or in this case, slow to get your foot onto the accelerator, you'll roll.

may lead to fender benders and not what youd expect and not how a gas car works.
Not how an automatic transmission gas car works. It's exactly how a manual transmission gas car works.

Thats exactly what happens and may lead to fender benders and not what youd expect and not how a gas car works. Try to parallel park with creep on a gentle slope let alone on a decent slope and you may hit something. The first time i tried creep was when backing out of the garage almost hitting a door post. I thought creep meant extra slow or more than double the resolution of the accelerator or limit of max speed but it doesnt. Also stopipng at a light uphill, release brake to get going again and if youre not fast enough on the accelerator you roll into the car or pedestrian behind you. In my case, my drive way is curved and has a decent slope and i would end up in the yard once in while if i always had it in creep.
Creep mode in the EQS actually works well. Behaves just like and ICE car.

Not how an automatic transmission gas car works. It's exactly how a manual transmission gas car works.
Not so. Ive had many more years with stick than automatic. For stick and gentle uphill, you release the clutch gently, and not as not to stall the engine, and you dont roll backwards, and quickly move from brake to acc pedal to get going. On very step uphill, and having an object very close behind you, you first pull the hand parking brake and hold but not lock and then rev the engine a little and then simultaneously release clutch, release park brake, and press acc pedal. (Advanced people use the one foot toe and heel method and get going every time.) For either case, if you stall the engine by mistake releasing the clutch too fast youd be in first gear helping to prevent the car from back rolling, at all or too fast or too much, while you scramble to press the brake pedal or alternatively youre already on the parking brake. Unlikely will you roll into something behind you. Obviously, all of the aforementioned are well-known facts -- in my universe. I fly out of state weekly about three months of the year, and have done so for fifteen yesrs and rent a car every time. I rent full size sedan and occasionally they give me luxuary or suv. Sometimes hybrids. And they all drive the the same. I dont bother getting free upgrade but get on the road as soon as i can. I and my agt must live in a different universe because my lucid creep doesnt behave a like stick or automatic gas car, but its more likely than gas cars to roll into objects behind it, still being in forward drive selection, exactly as intentionally being programmed and this isnt my paradise, but perhaps how lucid have figured to get most sales for the buck.

Not so. Ive had many more years with stick than automatic. For stick and gentle uphill, you release the clutch gently, and not as not to stall the engine, and you dont roll backwards, and quickly move from brake to acc pedal to get going. On very step uphill, and having an object very close behind you, you first pull the hand parking brake and hold but not lock and then rev the engine a little and then simultaneously release clutch, release park brake, and press acc pedal. (Advanced people use the one foot toe and heel method and get going every time.) For either case, if you stall the engine by mistake releasing the clutch too fast youd be in first gear helping to prevent the car from back rolling, at all or too fast or too much, while you scramble to press the brake pedal or alternatively youre already on the parking brake. Unlikely will you roll into something behind you. Obviously, all of the aforementioned are well-known facts -- in my universe. I fly out of state weekly about three months of the year, and have done so for fifteen yesrs and rent a car every time. I rent full size sedan and occasionally they give me luxuary or suv. Sometimes hybrids. And they all drive the the same. I dont bother getting free upgrade but get on the road as soon as i can. I and my agt must live in a different universe because my lucid creep doesnt behave a like stick or automatic gas car, but its more likely than gas cars to roll into objects behind it, still being in forward drive selection, exactly as intentionally being programmed and this isnt my paradise, but perhaps how lucid have figured to get most sales for the buck.
I agree with you re: the parking brake; so many people don’t do that, tho, and always roll back on these SF hills, heh

Creep emode in the EQS actually works well. Behaves just like and ICE car.
Agree! Also, the EQE/ EQS have what I think is a very helpful feature, and that is the "Hold" mode. If you have stopped on a hill, depressing the brake pedal sharply will preventing the car from rolling until the accelerator is pressed. Be nice if Lucid Air had that feature.

Agree! Also, the EQE/ EQS have what I think is a very helpful feature, and that is the "Hold" mode. If you have stopped on a hill, depressing the brake pedal sharply will preventing the car from rolling until the accelerator is pressed. Be nice if Lucid Air had that feature.
The Air automatically does this. No need to press the brake at all.

Just thought I'd follow up since I've had the car about a year since this thread started. Creep mode doesn't work like an ICE car, but now that I'm used to it, I think it's fine and I totally understand why it's implemented the way it was. That is, I love one pedal driving now with "Hold" and "High regen" enabled, so I wouldn't want the car to creep all the time - I literally often go days without touching the brakes. So the "tap accelerator to creep" makes sense to me now, and I use it all the time when parking. So if anything just a misunderstanding on my part based on ICE expectations. Maybe some better doc could help, or even just renaming this "Tap-to-creep" mode or something.

Sometimes I can get the car into the “creep” mode and other times, for no apparent reason, I can’t. The first time I use “creep” in the morning, for backing out of the garage, it always works fine. Other times, no so much Wondering if there is some logic associated with the “creep” mode that I don’t understand.

Sometimes I can get the car into the “creep” mode and other times, for no apparent reason, I can’t. The first time I use “creep” in the morning, for backing out of the garage, it always works fine. Other times, no so much Wondering if there is some logic associated with the “creep” mode that I don’t understand.
You need to press the accelerator to engage creep to start.

Thanks, and yes, I know that. My problem is that sometimes I can engage creep when I am stopped, press the brake and tap the accelerator, and sometimes (maybe most of the time) not.

Thanks, and yes, I know that. My problem is that sometimes I can engage creep when I am stopped, press the brake and tap the accelerator, and sometimes (maybe most of the time) not.
I think I had this problem when I just got my car and was getting used to it. It turns out that you need to lightly tap the accelerator and then almost immediately release all of the pressure off of the accelerator. Even the slightest bit of pressure left over after the tap will not activate creep mode. I can activate creep mode almost all of the time now when backing into a parking spot, but there are some haphazard moments when I forget to release the pressure and it didn't transition into creep mode. At that point, I just repeat the process and has worked just fine without fail.

In all honesty though, I wish there was an option to automatically turn creep mode on as soon as I put it into reverse (with the brake pedal held down of course).

Back