Put in reverse mode, car move forward instead

micky2023

Cars
Lucid Air Turing
I was in a parking lot and tried to readjust the car in a slight decline parking space. Put Lucid Air in reverse and tapping the accelerator pedal The car moved forward instead. The car was in hold mode with creep mode turned off. This is fairly scary situation. Moving the car forward further can cause damage by hitting the wall. We had to wait for a few minutes and then activate auto park out mode. The car automatically back out.

What could go wrong here? And how to avoid this from happening? Is this a known problem with Lucid Air?

A similar problem happened to my family member where roll mode was chosen (not sure how this happened as we all chose the default) with creep mode disabled. When trying to adjust the car position at home garage with flat ground. Put the car in Drive, the car went backward for no reasons.

Something seems to be very wrong with the design. The car should never move in the opposite direction to the chosen gear. This could cause accident to hit pedestrian or cars nearby.

Last edited:
Someone else also posted a similar situation on Youtube. The only difference here is that he was in an incline position and was able to moved the car backward when switching to neutral. Though I don't know how he eventually back out the car. Not sure if it was after he adjusted the direction of the wheel (at the end of the video).

He also log a NHTSA complaint: NHTSA ID Number: 11490194. Not sure if Lucid figured out where the problem is and find resolution for it.

October 20, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11490194
Components: POWER TRAIN

NHTSA ID Number: 11490194
Incident Date October 18, 2022
Consumer Location SAN DIEGO, CA
Vehicle Identification Number 50EA1GBAXNA****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
Summary: Vehicle sometimes drives in the OPPOSITE direction of selected Gear Detail: When changing drive direction in a very specific inclined position, the Lucid Air might drive in the opposite direction to what the driver has selected. Youtube video demonstrating this issue:
What component or system failed or malfunctioned, and is it available for inspection upon request? Drive system malfunctioned. Vehicle drives forward when in Reverse. How was your safety or the safety of others put at risk? Blocked the sidewalk, 9 inches from a wall. Expected the car to move backwards when it moved forward instead. Despite being in the correct gear. We could have easily hit a pedestrian. Has the problem been reproduced or confirmed by a dealer or independent service center? I have reported it to Lucid on all available channels. Have not heard back from them. Has the vehicle or component been inspected by the manufacturer, police, insurance representatives or others? No. Were there any warning lamps, messages or other symptoms of the problem prior to the failure, and when did they first appear? No.
1 Affected Product

Someone else also posted a similar situation on Youtube. The only difference here is that he was in an incline position and was able to moved the car backward when switching to neutral. Though I don't know how he eventually back out the car. Not sure if it was after he adjusted the direction of the wheel (at the end of the video).

He also log a NHTSA complaint: NHTSA ID Number: 11490194. Not sure if Lucid figured out where the problem is and find resolution for it.

October 20, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11490194
Components: POWER TRAIN
NHTSA ID Number: 11490194
Incident Date October 18, 2022
Consumer Location SAN DIEGO, CA
Vehicle Identification Number 50EA1GBAXNA****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
Summary: Vehicle sometimes drives in the OPPOSITE direction of selected Gear Detail: When changing drive direction in a very specific inclined position, the Lucid Air might drive in the opposite direction to what the driver has selected. Youtube video demonstrating this issue:
What component or system failed or malfunctioned, and is it available for inspection upon request? Drive system malfunctioned. Vehicle drives forward when in Reverse. How was your safety or the safety of others put at risk? Blocked the sidewalk, 9 inches from a wall. Expected the car to move backwards when it moved forward instead. Despite being in the correct gear. We could have easily hit a pedestrian. Has the problem been reproduced or confirmed by a dealer or independent service center? I have reported it to Lucid on all available channels. Have not heard back from them. Has the vehicle or component been inspected by the manufacturer, police, insurance representatives or others? No. Were there any warning lamps, messages or other symptoms of the problem prior to the failure, and when did they first appear? No.
1 Affected Product
I just picked up my car today and when I was going in reverse it did the samerhing, going forward!!! I wonder if you have it resolved. I will call the service center as well. Hope it doesnt happen again. It made a huge scretch on my bottom plastic on day 1. Not happy about that

Were you on a Forward incline? Make sure the roll function is not engaged.

I just picked up my car today and when I was going in reverse it did the samerhing, going forward!!! I wonder if you have it resolved. I will call the service center as well. Hope it doesnt happen again. It made a huge scretch on my bottom plastic on day 1. Not happy about that

The service department responded and mentioned that there are known software issue when user steps on brake while tapping on acceleration pedal. I don't think I did that and I was using the hold mode. I check all profiles on the car. I did find one of the user profiles was set to Roll mode which I am not sure why. Anyway, I switch all profiles to Hold mode and disable the creep mode. Also, I bring the key fob with me. In case when something weird happens, I can hard reset the car.

I think that will fix it. I have had 3 instances where the Roll got engaged and had a panic attack as it rolled in tight places. Almost put it on rocks at one point. It has always happened while turning around with some back and forth action. Get rid of Roll function Lucid!!

I have noticed that in this situation sometimes the little green hold light does not display on the dashboard like it does under normal stopping circumstances. This is despite it being properly set to hold mode.

The service department responded and mentioned that there are known software issue when user steps on brake while tapping on acceleration pedal. I don't think I did that and I was using the hold mode. Later when I checked, one of the user profile was set to Roll mode which I am not sure why. Anyway, I switch all profiles to Hold mode and disable the creep mode. Also, I bring the key fob with me. In case when something weird happens, I can hard reset the car.

I have noticed that in this situation sometimes the little green hold light does not display on the dashboard like it does under normal stopping circumstances. This is despite it being properly set to hold mode.
Would you recommend to reset the car when this happens? As I mentioned, the auto park out saved me last time. But I hate to be in this situation again!

Would you recommend to reset the car when this happens? As I mentioned, the auto park out saved me last time. But I hate to be in this situation again!
I’m not sure a reset solves this because the “Hold” system does seem to work after its initial absence when reversing. Someone else told me that this is by design but I can’t imagine why… and I think that he is incorrect since Hold does sometimes come on. I’ve reported this to CS but did not get a response.

I've seen the Hold light not showing up, too. Maybe once every 10 days or so.

This roll business needs work I think. Today exiting the Costco parking lot on a steep incline and had to apply break instead of usual hold as the car in front of me stopped abruptly. The I had a roll backwards situation while in D mode. Hold was previously selected with regen braking..I think each time this has happened, it occurs on incline after a formal brake. But rolling back into a car is poor form. Eventually it engaged and I lurched forward, almost shooting across the intersection. Embarrassing…

This roll business needs work I think. Today exiting the Costco parking lot on a steep incline and had to apply break instead of usual hold as the car in front of me stopped abruptly. The I had a roll backwards situation while in D mode. Hold was previously selected with regen braking..I think each time this has happened, it occurs on incline after a formal brake. But rolling back into a car is poor form. Eventually it engaged and I lurched forward, almost shooting across the intersection. Embarrassing…
Agree, most important bug in my opinion. Did you at least get a rotisserie chicken?

I just had the same thing happen to me. Parked with the trunk facing in at a slight incline. Engaged in Drive and hit the accelerator and the car lurched backwards. Tried multiple times and logged out then in. Same result. The tow truck operator came and tried with the same result on the first try. At this point the car was within 12 inches of hitting a concrete pillar that is at the edge of the driveway. He tried once more and got it to drive. Has there been a solution to this issue released? Is it in software or is it some combination of settings that need to be avoided?

Sounds dangerous. Wonder if theyve gotten to the bottom of it. Or if they'll pay for damages if the car gets dinged because it goes the wrong way due to this issue.

I just had the same thing happen to me. Parked with the trunk facing in at a slight incline. Engaged in Drive and hit the accelerator and the car lurched backwards. Tried multiple times and logged out then in. Same result. The tow truck operator came and tried with the same result on the first try. At this point the car was within 12 inches of hitting a concrete pillar that is at the edge of the driveway. He tried once more and got it to drive. Has there been a solution to this issue released? Is it in software or is it some combination of settings that need to be avoided?
My problem relating to this seems to have improved by avoiding the brake when on inclines - rely on the regen to stop you and then avoid the brake. There is some motion between the brake and accelerator that seems to release hold. Otherwise hitting the accelerator seems to get it back on track in the proper direction. But it is screwy.

I know its crazy. I talked to multiple people and came to conclusion.

1. Lucid makes creep option for drivers used to gas car... this is what the tech guy literally said word to word. I guess sorme evs dont have creep option. And lucid creep option is not string at all so at down hill it wont work but follow the gravity instead. You have to watch for it. You have to press on the accel to move the direction you want it to go

2. For the solution to this, try turn off the creep option and actually it will hold no matter how strong the gravity is.

I am using creep and i ve got used to it. And up or down hill i just press on accel

Hope this helps

I had almost the same problem. I just picked up my car today, drove home and parked in my driveway (slight uphill incline). I got out and went into the house for a few minutes, then opened the garage door, got back in the car, put it in drive and pressed the accelerator. The car lurched backwards. I thought I was just being dumb having just picked up the car, put it in drive (again), made sure that it was in drive, pressed the accelerator, and the car lurched backwards. I put the car in reverse, tapped the accelerator and the car moved backwards. After that I could put the car in drive and move forward as expected.
Scary enough in my driveway. I hate to think what would happen if this occurs elsewhere.

I had almost the same problem. I just picked up my car today, drove home and parked in my driveway (slight uphill incline). I got out and went into the house for a few minutes, then opened the garage door, got back in the car, put it in drive and pressed the accelerator. The car lurched backwards. I thought I was just being dumb having just picked up the car, put it in drive (again), made sure that it was in drive, pressed the accelerator, and the car lurched backwards. I put the car in reverse, tapped the accelerator and the car moved backwards. After that I could put the car in drive and move forward as expected.
Scary enough in my driveway. I hate to think what would happen if this occurs elsewhere.
Turn off creep.

Back