Holes in headlight beams?

tuccur

Cars
Lucid Air Dream Edition P
DE Number
Here's a weird one... Driving around last night I noticed the headlights...duh, they are awesome. They seem to cast a wide band of light, but there were two distinct but small holes in the light beams. If I shine the light on a wall it looks like small silver dollar sized dark circles. Maybe one of the microns arrays has a flaw, or one of the LED's is out? Am I alone on this?

Here's a weird one... Driving around last night I noticed the headlights...duh, they are awesome. They seem to cast a wide band of light, but there were two distinct but small holes in the light beams. If I shine the light on a wall it looks like small silver dollar sized dark circles. Maybe one of the microns arrays has a flaw, or one of the LED's is out? Am I alone on this?
All the cars have this, and I think it's more like two squares. It's supposed to be there to not blind oncoming traffic.

oh dang, that’s awesome, thank you

All the cars have this, and I think it's more like two squares. It's supposed to be there to not blind oncoming traffic.
Sorry for the thread resurrection ... I just noticed these squares for the first time tonight and thought I would investigate here. At first I thought they were "dead pixels". I started reading about these being intentionally there to prevent blinding drivers and this is the oldest post that mentioned this purpose. Do you have a source for the purpose?

I only ask because I find it unlikely that two tiny dark spots will make a difference to oncoming traffic or even to rear view mirrors of cars I am following. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a manufacturing issue with early headlight units. TIA

Sorry for the thread resurrection ... I just noticed these squares for the first time tonight and thought I would investigate here. At first I thought they were "dead pixels". I started reading about these being intentionally there to prevent blinding drivers and this is the oldest post that mentioned this purpose. Do you have a source for the purpose?

I only ask because I find it unlikely that two tiny dark spots will make a difference to oncoming traffic or even to rear view mirrors of cars I am following. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a manufacturing issue with early headlight units. TIA
Source: Lucid

. . . I find it unlikely that two tiny dark spots will make a difference to oncoming traffic . . .

The dark rectangles in our car are not that tiny. Even when the lights are shining on the garage wall as we back the car out, they are pretty sizable (maybe 3" x 9"?), and I'm sure they get larger with distance.

The Lucid headlights are the brightest of any car I have ever driven, including our 2021 Tesla Model S. Last night coming home late from a party, I accidentally engaged the brights while meaning to engage the auto-dim function. I met several cars before noticing my mistake, and none of them flashed me to indicate they were being blinded. These blacked-out spots may actually work pretty well.

I would think headlight elevation might make more of a difference then 2 spots? Especially if both cars are approaching each other at highways speeds?

I would think headlight elevation might make more of a difference then 2 spots? Especially if both cars are approaching each other at highways speeds?
If you Google it, it looks like most manufacturers are doing this.

So is the whole automotive industry wrong?

This is one of those areas where you spend thirty seconds using good old-fashioned logic. Why would any auto manufacturer, at their own expense, create these spots if it didn’t actually work?

I just did that and found that, from the driver's perspective, these spots look separate when reflected from nearby surfaces. However, seen from a distance they converge on the driver's side of the car creating a dimmer area for oncoming drivers. These spots disappear when high beams are engaged in order to illuminate the road more fully . . . which leaves me wondering whether I was, in fact, blinding other drivers last night when I inadvertently engaged high beams instead of auto-dim. (Fortunately, it was late and traffic was very light.)

I also found auto forums for Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Kia, Ford, and other brands discussing the same issue of dark spots with their headlights. It does, indeed, seem to be an industry-wide approach to protecting oncoming drivers from today's much more powerful headlights.

So is the whole automotive industry wrong?
I did Google it. Most articles talk about dead spots in HID bulbs which is what I have in my Lexus. On an HID, there is a huge cut off zone on each bulb which is why HID bulbs have an installation orientation. I don't think there are many manufacturers out there that have the same LED projector headlights as Lucid.

I wanted to read up on Lucid's technology and how it works which is why I asked for a link to the source.

I wanted to read up on Lucid's technology and how it works which is why I asked for a link to the source.

I asked our mobile service tech about the dark spots on an early visit. He did not know much about the technology but say he had had the same question from many customers, and Lucid told him they were there to reduce blinding oncoming drivers.

Those lights are a patented Lucid design, and there will probably be some patent filings that can shed light (cough, cough . . . ahem) on the matter.

I did Google it. Most articles talk about dead spots in HID bulbs which is what I have in my Lexus. On an HID, there is a huge cut off zone on each bulb which is why HID bulbs have an installation orientation. I don't think there are many manufacturers out there that have the same LED projector headlights as Lucid.

Lucid, unfortunately, is not super great at documenting these things. I’d be shouting it from the rooftops if I came up with headlights this cool. But I think they lean towards being somewhat secretive for competitive reasons.

I would love it if they did one of their tech videos on the light blade and headlights. Like they did on the drive train, the space concept. Etc. they seem to have halted that series.

HIDs are not the same as LED arrays.

which leaves me wondering whether I was, in fact, blinding other drivers last night when I inadvertently engaged high beams instead of auto-dim.
Yes, you were.

Source: my wife and I were curious and tested this with her in her Ioniq 5 while I was facing her on the other side of the road.

It was insanely impressive how it illuminated everything except basically her seat.

I noticed them in the 2023 GT I test drove, but not the 2024 AT I own. Is there a difference between trims?

A question about these dark quadrangles... I understand their stated purpose, but if I am driving on a flat stretch of road, their shadow is cast on the road surface about 20-30 or so feet in front of me. Unless my headlamps need adjustment, I don't see how that could possibly work. Am I missing something?

A question about these dark quadrangles... I understand their stated purpose, but if I am driving on a flat stretch of road, their shadow is cast on the road surface about 20-30 or so feet in front of me. Unless my headlamps need adjustment, I don't see how that could possibly work. Am I missing something?
Yes. From where you are sitting, you don't have the right angle to understand how these work. It confused the heck out of me, too. But they definitely do the job.

Back