Dark spot in headlights

smead

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT - Grey/Mojave/19"
Does anyone have a dark spot in lighted area when your low beams are on? I have one that shows up right in the middle of the on-coming lane but it is rather big (and annoying). It doesn't look like I have any big bugs or blockages on the exterior of the headlamps that would cause the issue. (See attached photo.)

Attachments

• PXL_20220818_024134694.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220818_024134694.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 401
Yes, I believe they're there for oncoming traffic and to not blind drivers. I've seen 2 dark spots on mine

Our GV80 has the same thing.

So is this a permanent spot that is never illuminated? The systems I've seen adjust the lighting in realtime to oncoming traffic. But this photo and thread make it seems like that spot is always darkened.

So is this a permanent spot that is never illuminated? The systems I've seen adjust the lighting in realtime to oncoming traffic. But this photo and thread make it seems like that spot is always darkened.
Yes - it is a dark spot that never goes away. It dims slightly when the high beams are on, but I think that is mainly because the high beams emit more light over that area, rather than the dark spot actually fading.

I'd imagine that it has the ability to be altered, but the NTSB would need to finally approve adaptive headlights for the US

Does anyone have a dark spot in lighted area when your low beams are on? I have one that shows up right in the middle of the on-coming lane but it is rather big (and annoying). It doesn't look like I have any big bugs or blockages on the exterior of the headlamps that would cause the issue. (See attached photo.)
I noticed the same last night & just got schooled it is a 'feature/function'.

Never seen it in the cars I have owned and I thought I had a blown bulb or something.

Thx @Thinjake

Attachments

• Lucid Shadow 2.png
    Lucid Shadow 2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
  • Lucid Shadow 1.png
    Lucid Shadow 1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 239
I noticed the same last night & just got schooled it is a 'feature/function'.

Never seen it in the cars I have owned and I thought I had a blown bulb or something.

Thx @Thinjake
In your photos, it look it might be a shadowy dark figurine as in the Most Haunted TV show.

I bet most of people in this forum don’t know how smart the Lucid Air head lamps are. These light beams are not just stationary to where the car is heading. If you are parked not moving the car, you can move the light beam by moving your steering wheel just as an organic living thing moving eyeballs without moving its head.

I bet most of people in this forum don’t know how smart the Lucid Air head lamps are. These light beams are not just stationary to where the car is heading. If you are parked not moving the car, you can move the light beam by moving your steering wheel just as an organic living thing moving eyeballs without moving its head.
Ok. Just reading this & I did not know about this function/feature earlier. Cool.

From website "ledinside.com":
Moreover, headlamps of Lucid Air deploy Micro Lens Array system comprised of literally thousands of light pixels, which are called as “light channel.” Lucid Motors said that “digital steering of light direction is possible by digitally switching light channels in different directions,” indicating that the headlamps are based on adaptive driving beam (ADB) technology, providing precise and advanced lighting solution. The lighting system is developed in-house by Lucid Motors.

While it's a very effective feature, the technology has been around for a while. I have it on my 2011 BMW X6M.

I noticed I have those dark sports as well last night... they are not as bad as yours but definitely there and on the driver side.

Back