Headlight question

Wolfman

Cars
BMW M8
I have looked at various threads but am going getting an d exact answer and wanted to confirm if the Lucid has matrix-type headlights or not.

In the US, most advanced lighting systems have been dumbed down due to outdated regulations. Those regulations have finally been updated but for most pricier Euro models owner will have to code the headlights to activate the advanced features. Usually called anti-dazzle. I am not sure if Lucid has the features but just not enabled in the US.

Since we are getting a Lucid in Europe I am trying to find out what these headlights can actually do. Not referring to auto high-beam or corner lighting but actually illuminating signs, mapping out on coming traffic, highlighting pedestrians, etc. Not looking for fancy Digital lights that can project images onto the road ahead like lane markings, pedestrian crossings, etc...

Tesla just introduced matrix lights in the new Model 3. If not, is Lucid going the same route?

I revisited many headlight related posts (although older ones) and it's clear that they are not matrix headlights.
Given that there is such a low number of European deliveries ultimately I am curious of how the headlights stack up to European competitors especially when running at higher speeds in Germany.
There is a day and night comparison between the same BMW laser lights in the US vs Europe (apart from illuminating a moose ;) ) due to the aforementioned US regulations.
Just hoping they are working well enough.

Given that the Model 3 seems to get them (even as an option) perhaps it's a future update or perhaps when the Gravity shows up? Better yet, digital light.

Given that there is such a low number of European deliveries ultimately I am curious of how the headlights stack up to European competitors especially when running at higher speeds in Germany.
There is a day and night comparison between the same BMW laser lights in the US vs Europe (apart from illuminating a moose ;) ) due to the aforementioned US regulations.
Just hoping they are working well enough.

Given that the Model 3 seems to get them (even as an option) perhaps it's a future update or perhaps when the Gravity shows up? Better yet, digital light.
I opted for the laser light upgrade on my BMW i4, anticipating what looked like an impending change to the lighting regulations in 2022. Apparently that change in regulations didn’t quite go the way some were expecting. So, still waiting. :(

I opted for the laser light upgrade on my BMW i4, anticipating what looked like an impending change to the lighting regulations in 2022. Apparently that change in regulations didn’t quite go the way some were expecting. So, still waiting. :(
Don't expect this to happen as the new US regulations don't match the rest of the world.

But the i4 can be coded to enable the features, usually referred to as anti-dazzle. You can find pros on Bimmerpost that can code this for you for you can get the Bimmer Utility and do it yourself although there is a learn curve.

Don't expect this to happen as the new US regulations don't match the rest of the world.

But the i4 can be coded to enable the features, usually referred to as anti-dazzle. You can find pros on Bimmerpost that can code this for you for you can get the Bimmer Utility and do it yourself although there is a learn curve.
If this done, is there a question of legality? I’m thinking if there’s an accident that occurs at night, does this then become an issue?

If this done, is there a question of legality? I’m thinking if there’s an accident that occurs at night, does this then become an issue?
I couldn't imagine. Why would there be? It's simply managing the lighting better and reducing any blinding of oncoming traffic and cars in front of you.

You are also not hacking the car, you are simply turning on options already build into the car. Lots of friends, even conservative ones (anti-modders) have enabled the anti-dazzle because it makes things safer at night.

But if your BMW is a March 2023 or later build it may not be coded due to the new encryption in SC2. BMW dealers can code it of course but they don't until it becomes an official option.

I couldn't imagine. Why would there be? It's simply managing the lighting better and reducing any blinding of oncoming traffic and cars in front of you.

You are also not hacking the car, you are simply turning on options already build into the car. Lots of friends, even conservative ones (anti-modders) have enabled the anti-dazzle because it makes things safer at night.

But if your BMW is a March 2023 or later build it may not be coded due to the new encryption in SC2. BMW dealers can code it of course but they don't until it becomes an official option.
Mine is an early build (I reserved early), so no issue there. Thanks for the info.

Not sure if legal or not, but it’s an absolutely valid point regarding an accident. We live in the most litigious place on earth. You can be certain if a headlight hack came to light (pun intended), even if it had no material affect causing the accident, there would be attorneys jumping all over that!

Not sure if legal or not, but it’s an absolutely valid point regarding an accident. We live in the most litigious place on earth. You can be certain if a headlight hack came to light (pun intended), even if it had no material affect causing the accident, there would be attorneys jumping all over that!
My concern exactly.

Not really. The attorneys want to go after the big corporations, not the individuals. The last thing the plaintiff attorneys want is to have the corporation successfully blame the owner/driver.

I think these are misplaced concerns. This wouldn't even have an impact on the cars or component warranty.
Nor could I imagine a litigation scenario.
People blind me regularly because they forget to turn off their manual high-beams in time. In case of an accident, sadly the person at fault would be the one that is blinded, not the one causing it.
Now, intelligent lighting lowers that risk, not increasing it.

Back