Strange Light Behavior Recently

Last ICE

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-P, R1S, Defender 110
DE Number
Since the last update to 2.1.47 I've noticed some strange behavior with my lighting. Specifically, the Side/Position Lights Active and Low Beam Headlights Active indicators lights will continuously toggle between on and off despite no change in the outside lighting conditions. Seems like they toggle back and forth every few seconds. I am running the headlights on Auto and typically turn on the lights manually for a second and then back to Auto and it that fixes it. I am not sure what's happening outside the car - if the lights are actually illuminating. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

Since the last update to 2.1.47 I've noticed some strange behavior with my lighting. Specifically, the Side/Position Lights Active and Low Beam Headlights Active indicators lights will continuously toggle between on and off despite no change in the outside lighting conditions. Seems like they toggle back and forth every few seconds. I am running the headlights on Auto and typically turn on the lights manually for a second and then back to Auto and it that fixes it. I am not sure what's happening outside the car - if the lights are actually illuminating. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?
Can you take a video and post it on youtube/vimeo?

I have had this problem also, and have contacted customer care and the service center. They say that no one else has reported this, but I did have this problem after the 2.1.47 update.

I was able to reproduce the problem: It happens to me when facing mostly into sunlight. The last two days it was overcast and the problem went away. Today the auto-headlights would come on when facing the sun. Depending on the angle and other factors, such as trees, the lights would wink on/off. I took a 200 mile trip which was all in the northernly direction and the the auto-headlights operated normally during the day. On the way back, in the southernly direction the auto-headlights came on and would wink on/off multiple times during the day. I decided to press the parking light button next to the auto button to force the headlights off.

I took a video of this behavior in my driveway earlier in the week, showing how the auto lights would come on/off. I sent this to customer care and service and requested they resend the software update, but they insisted on going the slow route and trying to diagnose this remotely (which they haven't started yet). In the video, I am facing west initially and then north at the end (not the best video and I should have been commenting while recording this, but wanted to quickly send this to customer care):

Can you take a video and post it on youtube/vimeo?

As a follow up on my Auto-High Beam problem:
After lengthy remote testing by Lucid, they determined that it was probably not a software problem, but something to do with the Light/Rain Sensor. They have scheduled a mobile visit next week to replace the sensor. If that still does not solve the problem, they may try to reload the software. It's interesting, however, that this problem manifested itself after the software update.

As a follow up on my Auto-High Beam problem:
After lengthy remote testing by Lucid, they determined that it was probably not a software problem, but something to do with the Light/Rain Sensor. They have scheduled a mobile visit next week to replace the sensor. If that still does not solve the problem, they may try to reload the software. It's interesting, however, that this problem manifested itself after the software update.

Ask to take a picture of the sensor after they remove it..... I bet the flex cable in the sensor is bent...

Ive also noticed this. Especially if I drive under a bridge on the highway. The auto-beams turn on and off consistently.

Ask to take a picture of the sensor after they remove it..... I bet the flex cable in the sensor is bent...
I have never accessed this location. The auto-light behavior seems that the A/D conversion overflows and wraps around. Could be a problem with the A/D converter or software. I don’t think a bent cable would cause this behavior.

Ive also noticed this. Especially if I drive under a bridge on the highway. The auto-beams turn on and off consistently.
The auto-beams are supposed to come on in shaded areas, especially in tunnels or overhangs.

The problem I have is that they come on in bright sunlight light, but not on overcast days or when the car is not facing the sun.

The auto-beams are supposed to come on in shaded areas, especially in tunnels or overhangs.

The problem I have is that they come on in bright sunlight light, but not on overcast days or when the car is not facing the sun.
Did you get the auto low beam issue resolved? I have started to notice this behavior of the lights repeatedly turning on and then off when there is no change in the outside light. Yesterday, it was happening while I was stopped at a stoplight around noon on a clear day

The lighting-control sensors in the Lucid seem to be very sensitive. When driving down our unlit street at night, our Lucid reacts to gatepost lamps on a neighboring house as if they were headlights. Our other two cars do not.

Even in what we humans perceive as steady lighting conditions, electronics can pick up variances we don't see. For instance, the laser detectors we have in our cars sometimes go off when driving into sunlight even though I sense no change in light and there is no laser signal present.

I have also noticed that the standard beams come on later in the Air than in most other cars on the road at dusk. I assume they were programmed that way to reduce power consumption, as the daytime running lights are very prominent and keep the car visible to other drivers in low-light conditions.

Did you get the auto low beam issue resolved? I have started to notice this behavior of the lights repeatedly turning on and then off when there is no change in the outside light. Yesterday, it was happening while I was stopped at a stoplight around noon on a clear day
I would call Lucid Customer Care and report your problem.

My issue has not been resolved. Last week, they came out and replaced the light/rain sensor. I had shown them how to reproduce the problem and they claimed it was fixed, but I drove the car right after they left and the problem reappeared - same symptoms. In addition now, the auto-windshield wipers are coming on too, when there is no rain. I got tired of trying to debug their issues and turned off the wipers. Lucid engineering is aware of the issues and they are scheduled to come back tomorrow. I have no idea what they will attempt to fix.

They are still refusing to reload the software, claiming that would make no difference. The ‘fact’ that no one else has reported this problem to them, makes them think it’s unique to my vehicle.

I would call Lucid Customer Care and report your problem.

My issue has not been resolved. Last week, they came out and replaced the light/rain sensor. I had shown them how to reproduce the problem and they claimed it was fixed, but I drove the car right after they left and the problem reappeared - same symptoms. In addition now, the auto-windshield wipers are coming on too, when there is no rain. I got tired of trying to debug their issues and turned off the wipers. Lucid engineering is aware of the issues and they are scheduled to come back tomorrow. I have no idea what they will attempt to fix.

They are still refusing to reload the software, claiming that would make no difference. The ‘fact’ that no one else has reported this problem to them, makes them think it’s unique to my vehicle.
Thanks for the update, I will send it to Customoer Care also.

I got a call today regarding my appointment tomorrow for the Auto-Headlight problem: The service center got a call from Lucid Engineering informing them that they determined that this is a software problem related to calibration for "early" Lucid Airs, primarily Dream Editions. They will have a fix "soon", but it may be 1 or 2 software cycles before it is incorporated and pushed to the fleet.

They thanked me in "helping" track this down. I was expecting a free T-Shirt, but there was no mention of that....

I got a call today regarding my appointment tomorrow for the Auto-Headlight problem: The service center got a call from Lucid Engineering informing them that they determined that this is a software problem related to calibration for "early" Lucid Airs, primarily Dream Editions. They will have a fix "soon", but it may be 1 or 2 software cycles before it is incorporated and pushed to the fleet.

They thanked me in "helping" track this down. I was expecting a free T-Shirt, but there was no mention of that....
say what? Please don't push the fix to me, my lights are working great!

The least they can do that right :)

I just got an email back from Customer Care with the same information.

say what? Please don't push the fix to me, my lights are working great!
Since they replaced my Light/Rain sensor already, I can’t think of what needs calibrating and what is different from my car vs other Dream Editions that don’t have the problem. It may be the windshield, since I have the early one with small cut-out on the lower right corner. In any case, they obviously made a change in the 2.1.47 update that affected my car. I think the Auto-Lights were working fine for most people before their software change, maybe their solution would be to go back to the way things were or tweak it so that it works for all cars.

Actually, it sounds to me like an overflow rounding error, where their sensor value wrapped around when the light was too bright. Maybe they reduced the precision/bits for their calculation using this rounding error. Maybe my windshield allows more light to reach the sensor thus giving a super high number.

Last edited:
It looks like the 2.1.52 update fixed the auto light problem. The windshield wipers are also functioning normally now.

Thanks for info. My auto headlights never seem to work very well. I just had car in for HV battery replacement and they checked the lights and said they worked fine. I guess I’ll see if upcoming software updates help.

Back