My first unscheduled service: AT thinks it's charging

Vette2Lucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
My AT is just under four weeks old and has a little over 1200 miles on it.
Anticipating its first trip, I went to EA on Friday and charged up to 80 percent, and then had plenty of time to top up at home. But when charging at home, it gained another 30-ish miles of range before an unexpected stopping of the charging process. I came out to the garage to find the left headlight on and while the charge cable was still connected, the charging lights were off. The car was still responsive to me, and I disconnected the cable, but the right headlight remained on even when I toggled through the headlight settings, and I had to manually close the charging door, and the mirrors would not unfold when the doors unlocked. I tried the turn-signal reboot and things didn't improve It won't shift out of Park, and only recognizes the key fob when it's clicked, so the car doesn't stay awake for long. The friendly guy in Customer Care toggled headlight settings remotely but that didn't affect the right headlight, and he noted the car couldn't leave Park because it thinks it's still charging, despite the cable being unplugged. We couldn't get the car back to normal, so Lucid is planning to tow the car to Scottsdale for in-person diagnosis. I wonder how they'll get it out of my garage--hopefully they have plenty of override capability for situations like this. My experience working with Lucid has been quite pleasant and I'm not in a hurry. I hope it turns out to be minor, because aside from this and a few minor things, this car is just spectacular.

Did you try one of the other resets? Profile switch (set profile to guest and then back to you) or the Air Logo reset (Settings -> About touch and hold the Air logo for 20 second until you see the power down message).

Did you try one of the other resets? Profile switch (set profile to guest and then back to you) or the Air Logo reset (Settings -> About touch and hold the Air logo for 20 second until you see the power down message).
I didn't know about those-- thank you. I wonder if those do deeper resets or reset different systems? Anyway, no, I can't try them at this point, because the Pilot Panel doesn't get past the starry sky display before the car goes back to sleep.

There's the hard reset, but I'm guessing they want the car in scottsdale to download the right info to see why it happened. The hard reset isn't suggested because it can delete the needed diagnostic info.

After we returned from Kingman, Lucid's technical support team, their roadside assist partner, and Allan's Automotive Services (towing) partnered to try to extract the car from the garage on Wednesday. The car was completely unresponsive-- I couldn't get into it. Lucid guided us on how to jump-start the car, which enabled me to get into the vehicle. Next goal was to get it into neutral... but the computer wouldn't get far enough in the boot process to allow that. We ended Wednesday unsuccessfully, but left the window open to get back in easily the next day. Thursday, Allan had an additional guy with him, fully-charged jump-starters, and "skates" in case we needed them. We got to both 12v batteries and tried the jumpers again, but got no further with them. So we lifted the car enough to get skates under the rear tires, and lifted the front only to discover that, even though the car's front wheels are driven, they rotate freely when the car is in park. So no need to put skates there. The tow truck was then able to retrieve the car. What a relief. Through all of this, everyone was super-friendly and a pleasure to work with as we were problem-solving.
So, should your car need to be towed when the computer is completely disabled, I think a pair of skates should be mandatory equipment for the tow operator, since we couldn't find a way to disengage the parking brake on the rear wheels.
What I'm gathering about the car's electircal architecture is that the main computer is driven by at least one of the 12v batteries, and whatever fault the car experienced must have disabled the high-voltage system from being able to charge the 12v system, resulting in rapid, complete discharge. I'll post more as I hear back from Lucid.

Got my car back today! Yes, it's been awhile, but that's not a negative reflection on the Lucid team. I told them that they could take whatever time they needed to get as much useful information as possible and then get it back to me. So Lucid's engineering team benefitted from my car's situation. In the end, they would up replacing two "modules", one of which I gather was basically the communications hub for the car. It certainly seems to be back in great shape. It was quite a treat to be driving it again.

Just wanted to thank the Lucid service crew in Scottsdale. My car is better than new, thanks to them. Previously I was seeing phantom drain of 4 miles per day and now it's about two. I also used to get a fair number of camera faults and so far I haven't gotten a fault of any kind. Too early to say it's cured since I haven't driven it much in the last week, but promising signs. Great attention to detail!

Just wanted to thank the Lucid service crew in Scottsdale. My car is better than new, thanks to them. Previously I was seeing phantom drain of 4 miles per day and now it's about two. I also used to get a fair number of camera faults and so far I haven't gotten a fault of any kind. Too early to say it's cured since I haven't driven it much in the last week, but promising signs. Great attention to detail!
What exactly did they do or replace?

What exactly did they do or replace?
They replaced the Body Control Module, and after that, the Telematics Control Module. Then they were able to gather data from the car, and they directly loaded each module with the latest software. I reported an additional issue with the right rear window regulator and they replaced that too. And they noticed a scratch on the back of the driver's seat and replaced that too. I never noticed a scratch there but they didn't worry about it and just wanted to give the car back to me in perfect shape.

Back