Highway Assist compatible roads in Westchester county NY area?

EricM

Verified Owner
Lucid is still attempting to troubleshoot highway assist on my car (it does not engage despite having the cameras and LiDAR calibrated). They have been testing the car on the highways around White Plains (I-287, Taconic Parkway, etc.). The service advisor suspects these may not be highway assist enabled roadways. Can anyone on here confirm that highway assist does or does not work on these roads? Thanks in advance.

Lucid is still attempting to troubleshoot highway assist on my car (it does not engage despite having the cameras and LiDAR calibrated). They have been testing the car on the highways around White Plains (I-287, Taconic Parkway, etc.). The service advisor suspects these may not be highway assist enabled roadways. Can anyone on here confirm that highway assist does or does not work on these roads? Thanks in advance.

It would be nice if Lucid explained how its system works.

For example, Tesla says it is a generalized system designed to work everywhere.

On the other hand, GM says its Super Cruise and the coming Ultra Cruise only work on an area that has been HD mapped. Thus, if they don't work in the city streets, we can assume that they have not been HD mapped.

So, which system is Lucid subscribing to get its Highway Assist working?

On the other hand, GM says its Super Cruise and the coming Ultra Cruise only work on an area that has been HD mapped. Thus, if they don't work in the city streets, we can assume that they have not been HD mapped.

The latter. It is GPS-limited to streets that have already been HD mapped, which at the moment only include highways.

...highway assist does or does not work on these roads?...
Now that I got the explanation above from @borski, I wouldn't be concerned if yours work on some stretches of Highways and not others because that's applicable with GM Super Cruise' HD mapping as well.

It might take some time but hopefully those Highways will be HD mapped soon or a few years as well.

I would be worried if yours doesn't work in any Highway at all.

Now that I got the explanation above from @borski, I wouldn't be concerned if yours work on some stretches of Highways and not others because that's applicable with GM Super Cruise' HD mapping as well.

It might take some time but hopefully those Highways will be HD mapped soon or a few years as well.

I would be worried if yours doesn't work in any Highway at all.
Yeah mine has never worked on ANY highway and I’ve been on a lot of them in my first 1,500 miles. Lucid has been working on it for several weeks. If anyone here knows a stretch of highway in that area where highway assist definitely works, that would help rule out a non-mapped highway.

Yeah mine has never worked on ANY highway and I’ve been on a lot of them in my first 1,500 miles. Lucid has been working on it for several weeks. If anyone here knows a stretch of highway in that area where highway assist definitely works, that would help rule out a non-mapped highway.
Now that I know, I also share concerns. You should follow up with the service center, and they should find out which areas are covered so you can test drive in those areas.

Lucid should have a similar searchable map like the one that @MorganB pointed out for GM. This should prevent unnecessary anxiety and needless service center queries.

The EQS system works on more roads than the Lucid does. Not sure what system Mercedes uses but it works well.

I have used highway assist on 95 north from Rye up to New Haven and it worked as expected. Hope that helps.

I have used highway assist on the Palisades and on 287 going up to white plains but not sure if I used it going through white plains or not. When I get my car back I’ll check it out

Well...that's good for Lucid then because Lucid uses HERE maps for the nav.
I only find TomTom as Lucid's partner:

This is one of my biggest complaints that Highway Assist only works on selected roads. None of my local highways except I95 seems to allow the feature to activate. Tesla and even my son's Hyundai works on all the roads in my area. It should work on any road that has clear lines in the road.

This is one of my biggest complaints that Highway Assist only works on selected roads. None of my local highways except I95 seems to allow the feature to activate. Tesla and even my son's Hyundai works on all the roads in my area. It should work on any road that has clear lines in the road.
I think it's because of different philosophies. Tesla and Hyundai are based on a generalized system that needs no pre-mapping or preparation. In the short term, they work more places than Lucid can.

However, I think it is safer to do homework and pre-mapping even though it may take some time.

I guess it's faster if Lucid partners with HERE Technologies from the Mercedes consortium, but my guess is it might be less expensive to choose other slower ones.

Life is not perfect: There are pros and cons and tradeoffs.

I only find TomTom as Lucid's partner:

This is old. They may still be partnered with TomTom, but the maps and nav data definitely come from HERE.

I know this because I have reverse engineered some of the communication in the car.

Have been using HA for past 3 months in CT and Westchester County. Can say it works without interruption on Merritt, Hutch, Cross County and Cross Westchester. However - with those winding roads and with no margin on Hutch, you can't go fast- little scary - doesn't take curves well- drifts over line. On 95 and 684 much better- but also much straighter. But yes - HA is programmed for those stretches.

Back