Why did Lucid choose TomTom over google maps

xtsla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Coming from a Tesla I have to say the navigation in the Lucid is a huge step back. I have no idea why they chose TomTom as a Nav provider when google is way more responsive, smooth and accurate. I really wish they don't continue to use TomTom and switch to google maps.

probably because it's cheaper than google maps? Apple built their own maps and one of the reasons that was listed during the transition period was cost - how much Apple was paying Google for their maps' data. I believe Tesla also switched away from Google maps.

If I'm paying around $100K for a car (or well above), I'd expect the navigation to be first rate, Google maps and nav, as on our $60K Volvo. It's one of the car's strongest points. Maybe I'm petty or misguided, but for me this is frankly the #1 drawback for the Air, and one of the few reasons I've thought of skipping it and getting a Polestar 3 instead. Second-rate navigation is a cheap decision where it counts, and makes me wonder what other shortcomings are baked in.

Last edited:
AFAIK Tesla is still using Google maps data, but has their own home-grown navigation software, and it was one of the reasons we were happy to sell our Model 3 after coming back to the best (Google Nav) on our Volvo.

probably because it's cheaper than google maps? Apple built their own maps and one of the reasons that was listed during the transition period was cost - how much Apple was paying Google for their maps' data. I believe Tesla also switched away from Google maps.
And we all remember how crap Apple Maps was when it first came out

If I'm paying around $100K for a car (or well above), I'd expect the navigation to be first rate, Google maps and nav, as on our $60K Volvo. It's one of the car's strongest points. Maybe I'm petty or misguided, but for me this is frankly the #1 drawback for the Air, and one of the few reasons I've thought of skipping it and getting a Polestar 3 instead. Second-rate navigation is a cheap decision where it counts, and makes me wonder what other shortcomings are baked in.
Since the latest update, what's wrong with the maps? I don't think the data is the issue but more Lucid playing catch up with the software development and adding the available features. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. don't use Google, they use HERE maps so I suspect the costs Google is asking for licensing are probably outrageous.

... Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. don't use Google, they use HERE maps so I suspect the costs Google is asking for licensing are probably outrageous.
All new Volvo, Polestar, and Cadillac models going forward are using Google Maps and navigation, so it can't be too expensive. As I mentioned, I have it on my $60K AAOS-powered Volvo now. It's an absolute pleasure to use.

All new Volvo, Polestar, and Cadillac models going forward are using Google Maps and navigation, so it can't be too expensive. As I mentioned, I have it on my $60K AAOS-powered Volvo now. It's an absolute pleasure to use.
Uber paid almost $60 million to use Google Maps from 2016 to 2018. It might be an acceptable cost when you can spread that across many models you make but Lucid isn’t in that position.

Keep in mind also that Lucid faced money troubles until the PIF kicked in so $30,40,50 million at the time may have been a lot of money to drop on licensing when they had a car to get to market. The TomTom announcement was made in 2017 and the Saudi funding came 2018 so whilst it may se like a drop in the bucket to some it may have been a case of Lucid simply didn’t have that money to waste on mapping software at the time. GM can waste money as they’ll simply get bailed out by the government….

My tesla uses google. The logo is displayed bottom right of nav. I did talk to a service tech today and he said apple carplay is being worked on.

I think this car is well worth the 140k. Aside from the nav the interior design, comfort, audio system and performance are next level. I have a performance model 3 and tesla model X to compare to. Lucid is superior in the hardware. The software will be updated just like my Model X software did I have confidence in that.

My tesla uses google. The logo is displayed bottom right of nav. I did talk to a service tech today and he said apple carplay is being worked on.
Apple CarPlay in the Tesla? Good luck, Elon has been saying that for years. Last I heard was Apple Music is coming but that’s about it. “FSD next year” “Apple CarPlay next year” “Robo taxis next year”

My understanding is that Tesla uses Google maps data but their own navigation/routing software.

Back