Has anyone replaced tires on Lucid Air?

Has anyone replaced their pirelli’s with a different type of tire yet? And if so, notice any impact on range, noise, handling, and/or ride comfort?
Good evening,

Last night, I tried to order the following 21" All-season tires: 245/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT and 265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL. The tire company refused to sell them to me with the statement: "Based on the vehicle you have listed on the order, the tire itself you does not meet the load requirement for your vehicle and could lead to blowouts and safety issues on your vehicle." In fact, the company didn't have any All-season tires that would work. As a result, I could not obtain all-season tires. I have the AGT. Does anyone know which company has 21" All-season tires? If I had known the 21" were only summer tires, I would not have purchased them.

Last night, I tried to order the following 21" All-season tires: 245/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT and 265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL. The tire company refused to sell them to me with the statement: "Based on the vehicle you have listed on the order, the tire itself you does not meet the load requirement for your vehicle and could lead to blowouts and safety issues on your vehicle."
Strange, TireRack.com indicates load ratings of 1565 & 1819 for the ft & rear on those, which would seem to be ok for the Air (which is less than the 6768lbs that pair would provide, or perhaps more importantly less than the 6260 that 4 at the lower load would provide) and their guide to "choose by vehicle" offers these tires up too). Not sure what company you tried, but perhaps another source is indicated.

Last night, I tried to order the following 21" All-season tires: 245/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT and 265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL. The tire company refused to sell them to me with the statement: "Based on the vehicle you have listed on the order, the tire itself you does not meet the load requirement for your vehicle and could lead to blowouts and safety issues on your vehicle."

I had to replace the rear tires on my Dream Edition Performance w/ 21" wheels. (My brother was driving the car and confused a turn using the Nav system. He turned around at a construction site . . . and the rest is history.)

I found the OE Pirelli PZeros with the Lucid-specific "LM1" stamp on them on the TireRack website, but when I tried to order them online I got a warning similar to the one you got -- that the tire was not rated for the car's load. I then called TireRack and was told that was an error on the website and that the tires they were offering were, in fact, OE tires for the car. And, indeed, when they arrived they had the "LM1" molded stamp on them.

I'd suggest you actually talk to someone in sales instead of relying on the website. And TireRack would be a good bet. I've used them for years, and they are the best internet sales operation I've ever encountered. They have never steered me wrong.

Strange, TireRack.com indicates load ratings of 1565 & 1819 for the ft & rear on those, which would seem to be ok for the Air (which is less than the 6768lbs that pair would provide, or perhaps more importantly less than the 6260 that 4 at the lower load would provide) and their guide to "choose by vehicle" offers these tires up too). Not sure what company you tried, but perhaps another source is indicated.
I ordered the 21" Michelin Pilot 4S all season tires from Tire Rack, however I had to do it by NOT providing the car they would be used for. Otherwise they will not sell them to you. You can just order the tires on their own. I have been happy with them. Changed from the summer performance ones in November 2021.

Look, putting a 5,200 lb. vehicle on a 21 inch 35 aspect ratio tire is quite frankly asking for trouble. Insane might be another word. Yes the 21 inch wheels look great but the laws of physics are working against you. Too much weight on a super narrow sidewalk tire that usually is used on 2,000 lb. sports cars.

Look, putting a 5,200 lb. vehicle on a 21 inch 35 aspect ratio tire is quite frankly asking for trouble. Insane might be another word. Yes the 21 inch wheels look great but the laws of physics are working against you. Too much weight on a super narrow sidewalk tire that usually is used on 2,000 lb. sports cars.
These are specifically custom built to support the additional weight. I’ve had no issues with my 21s, though I do know others have.

These are specifically custom built to support the additional weight.

And that's exactly why people should be absolutely sure they replace the OE tires with tires that are load rated for this car. Just getting the size and weather compound right is not enough.

Found this interesting online calculator... found it interesting that the 19" Air GT tires are actually 0.8" taller sidewall than what I am currently running on my VW GTI (225/40R18)... I'll let others play with the 21" measures & comparison with other cars... as has been noted, the Air is a heavy car and EV torque loads also stress tires more than on an ICE...

My current thinking is that if I have problems w/ the 19" having a blow out, then I may replace that axle's tires with a pair of the Mich Pilot Sport, giving me 3 PZeros for the other axle (and two more blow outs before needing to replace that axle's tires)... it would be a way to spread out the cost of conversion as well as of getting as much out of the PZeros as I could... and as long as I'm not (planning on) pushing the car, this mix of tires might be ok (lol... or not). Counter arguments appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey all. I hate to repeat any work but I've created a sheet for anyone with the sidewall bubble problem. Please fill it out to help me help you. I'm hoping to send the data to LUCID in a more objective/ statistical fashion and hopefully they can reevaluate there position on the tires. Thanks!
This seems to be missing the key info of if the tires in question are 19" or 21"...

I had to replace the rear tires on my Dream Edition Performance w/ 21" wheels. (My brother was driving the car and confused a turn using the Nav system. He turned around at a construction site . . . and the rest is history.)

I found the OE Pirelli PZeros with the Lucid-specific "LM1" stamp on them on the TireRack website, but when I tried to order them online I got a warning similar to the one you got -- that the tire was not rated for the car's load. I then called TireRack and was told that was an error on the website and that the tires they were offering were, in fact, OE tires for the car. And, indeed, when they arrived they had the "LM1" molded stamp on them.

I'd suggest you actually talk to someone in sales instead of relying on the website. And TireRack would be a good bet. I've used them for years, and they are the best internet sales operation I've ever encountered. They have never steered me wrong.
Good afternoon,

I ordered the tires online. Then, Tire Rack sent me an email saying they couldn't sell me the tires. After reading on this forum that the tires should definitely work for my car, I called Tire Rack and spoke to an employee. The Tire Rack employee confirmed that the tires were not rated for my specific car and Tire Rack would not sell them to me. I did not solely rely on the website.

Good afternoon,

I ordered the tires online. Then, Tire Rack sent me an email saying they couldn't sell me the tires. After reading on this forum that the tires should definitely work for my car, I called Tire Rack and spoke to an employee. The Tire Rack employee confirmed that the tires were not rated for my specific car and Tire Rack would not sell them to me. I did not solely rely on the website.

If you are unable to find the tires elsewhere, Lucid will sell them to you (I think). However, it might be worth pushing back with a manager at Tire Rack. The tires Tire Rack shipped to me had the "LM1" stamp on them and were definitely the tires Pirelli engineered for Lucid Motors. I think your salesperson just read what was on the website. My salesperson put me on hold while he checked, and he got back to me with an okay to ship the tires.

If you are unable to find the tires elsewhere, Lucid will sell them to you (I think). However, it might be worth pushing back with a manager at Tire Rack. The tires Tire Rack shipped to me had the "LM1" stamp on them and were definitely the tires Pirelli engineered for Lucid Motors. I think your salesperson just read what was on the website. My salesperson put me on hold while he checked, and he got back to me with an okay to ship the tires.
His issue is he's trying to order the Michelin Pilots, not the OE Pirelli's. And his point about not being able to find all-seasons rated for the 21" is an important one, though not surprising. Most folks that have a real need for multi-season tires seem to be planning to swap out 19's when the time comes.

I think @Dreamed was able to order the Michelins from tire rack but you can’t select Lucid as the car. If you manually select the tires with no car selected, they might sell it to you.

I just checked and the Pilot Sport weight rating is 96, whereas the Pirellis are 102. The Michelins don't leave enough headroom vs. the weight of the car.

I just checked and the Pilot Sport weight rating is 96, whereas the Pirellis are 102. The Michelins don't leave enough headroom vs. the weight of the car.

The Sapphire is going to use a Michelin Pilot Sport that is specially engineered for that application. So it would seem at least some of the Pilot Sport lineup can support the weight of the car. But maybe not in the size needed by Brown Eyes?

Good afternoon,

17B79145-5E56-403D-ADA9-0F2EF9D41535.jpeg

I ordered the 21" Michelin Pilot 4S all season tires from Tire Rack, however I had to do it by NOT providing the car they would be used for. Otherwise they will not sell them to you. You can just order the tires on their own. I have been happy with them. Changed from the summer performance ones in November 2021.
Have you noticed any difference at all in range between the two tires?

Poster with the issue was looking at 21s. But yes, 19 definitely has some options available.
Oops. At least Tire Rack identifies which are original equipment tires.

Back