How does anyone pop these tires?

What… how is it even physically possible to pop a tire on that? Genuinely confused! What speed were you going?
I was going about 45, maybe 50 at max. I actually found the road exactly. It isnt a round about, I would say its more of a curved median which now has a concrete barrier but at the time of this picture on google maps there wasn't a median. Here is the picture though:
1720228354289.webp

The dots are much more raised over here then what they normally are on highways and stuff.

Thanks to those who report happiness with the factory stock 21" summer tires.

I share this joy.

I was going about 45, maybe 50 at max. I actually found the road exactly. It isnt a round about, I would say its more of a curved median which now has a concrete barrier but at the time of this picture on google maps there wasn't a median. Here is the picture though: View attachment 21684

The dots are much more raised over here then what they normally are on highways and stuff.
In the photo you posted the one just left of center appears to have a small pothole right in front of it. So your tire hits the hole and then bangs into the raised yellow "dot". I can imagine that would cause your tire quite a bit of stress. If you had been traveling at high speeds for a while prior to hitting that location your tires could have been at a pretty high pressure. I keep mine around 45 psi cold and in the recent heat when traveling at 75 mph on the freeway my tires rise quickly up to the high forties.

I'm not sure if this matters to you or not, but ...

View attachment 21683
Yeah, I know :\

Those damn rivets pop out all the time. Car is going in for service (two year annual, plus a few other random items) so I figure they'll just fix it then.

In the photo you posted the one just left of center appears to have a small pothole right in front of it. So your tire hits the hole and then bangs into the raised yellow "dot". I can imagine that would cause your tire quite a bit of stress. If you had been traveling at high speeds for a while prior to hitting that location your tires could have been at a pretty high pressure. I keep mine around 45 psi cold and in the recent heat when traveling at 75 mph on the freeway my tires rise quickly up to the high forties.
Well the problem is that the yellow ones would have been on my driver side. My passenger tire was the one that exploded.

1720241175855.webp

1720241196933.webp

Some of them are cracked. It wasn't the bump that did you in, but the sharp plastic shards the bumps are made of, I bet. :\

So I was at an Airbnb, driving from it to my house, along Skyline Dr - one of my favorite fun twisty roads. On the way home to bake bread, zero issues. Had a blast.

Two hours later, turned a corner and massive rockslide where there wasn’t one on my way out on the same road. I hit it pretty hard, and am going to have both my right wheels refinished. The tires got pretty torn up, but held up completely.

I just had it checked out by America’s Tire, pumped up to 60psi, did the dunk test and inspect both interior and exterior visually, and zero leaks or bubbles.

I don’t know, maybe a tire fairy follows me around. But how anyone is able to pop 8-10 of these things is completely beyond me. I know it happens. I know nobody is lying. I just, genuinely, do not understand it. If anything should have popped these tires, it was this rockslide. (The car handled like a champ, btw - I was in Sprint and it was very compliant; zero damage to the vehicle itself other than the wheels and tires)

In case you’re wondering, I do have the tire certs, so even if they had popped or leaked I’d get them replaced, but nevertheless, there’s nothing to replace. They’re fine, aside from some cosmetic damage.

Also, 18k miles in and the fronts are at 6/32” and the backs are at 5/32”. So plenty of tire life left, too.

View attachment 21604View attachment 21605View attachment 21606View attachment 21607View attachment 21608View attachment 21609View attachment 21610View attachment 21611View attachment 21612
My guess is potholes that are deep / sharp enough more likely to cause a pinch flat than what you ran into. Rocks off skyline IIRC are relatively soft a crumbly (still harder than aluminum), so probably the effect was more like curbing your wheels than diving into a pothole with 5000 lbs crashing down on the rubber bands. Just a guess though since i wasn't there.

Well the problem is that the yellow ones would have been on my driver side. My passenger tire was the one that exploded.
Wow. While I have likely not driven over your exact route, I have driven thousands and thousands of miles around the Valley and driven over many of these. It is true that the sidewall on the Lucid tires is very thin however but there are many Lucid drivers here in the Valley and this is the first I have read about this happening.

I am thinking that there must be a spike at the bottom that is driven into the ground to fix the bump to the street and that it came up somehow and pierced your tire just like a nail. That would have been a very good day to NOT purchase a lottery ticket.

These bumps are made of painted ceramic, like clay or plaster or something similar. They have no metal parts inside. They are hot-glued to the road. They can have a sharp edge when substantially broken.
Keep in mind that a tire may be internally damaged at one time, and actually fail much later with some new trauma or just more miles.

That is not a pothole. That is a sinkhole. You are lucky the car didn't get stuck in it.
I know, I was joking. Ironically, I did search up images of sinkholes! 🤣

But really, I’m shocked that the rim could have that much damage. It looks like it got bent by at least 1 inch, while @borski did his best impression of Group B rallying on 21s and only had cosmetic issues! @pyle112 , what speed were you going at?

The pothole in question: 🤣
View attachment 21784
You too?!
I know, I was joking. Ironically, I did search up images of sinkholes! 🤣

But really, I’m shocked that the rim could have that much damage. It looks like it got bent by at least 1 inch, while @borski did his best impression of Group B rallying on 21s and only had cosmetic issues! @pyle112 , what speed were you going at?
It was on a highway merge onto the van wyck. Raining and didn't know how deep. There were three other cars pulled over. Next day drove by and there were at least 20 hubcaps piled on the side of the road and 3 more vehicles in various states of tire adjustment.

You too?!

It was on a highway merge onto the van wyck. Raining and didn't know how deep. There were three other cars pulled over. Next day drove by and there were at least 20 hubcaps piled on the side of the road and 3 more vehicles in various states of tire adjustment.
Wild.

I don't miss driving in NYC. The belt pkwy with its lanes made wide enough for horses and a 50mph speed limit. Kill me.

Back