How does anyone pop these tires?

Somewhat out of practice (mostly use mass transit now) but never bothered me. Piloted cars, bikes and motorcycles in and around all five boros. I drove the Lucid twice the second week I owned it to The Bronx. Some of the local street traffic and the tight on-street parking (no 360 on the Pure) was annoying. But the rest was fine.
Taking delivery after taking the LIRR and local bus to Plainview, drove the new car Grand Central over the Triboro up Harlem River Drive and over the GW and home. It's all a mindset of just relaxing and going with the flow.

A pot hole is what did it in for me, and I hear that Florida pot holes are particularly forgiving compared to other places.

Somewhat out of practice (mostly use mass transit now) but never bothered me. Piloted cars, bikes and motorcycles in and around all five boros. I drove the Lucid twice the second week I owned it to The Bronx. Some of the local street traffic and the tight on-street parking (no 360 on the Pure) was annoying. But the rest was fine.
Taking delivery after taking the LIRR and local bus to Plainview, drove the new car Grand Central over the Triboro up Harlem River Drive and over the GW and home. It's all a mindset of just relaxing and going with the flow.
It’s not that I can’t do it. I did it for many years and still do (my whole family lives in Brooklyn).

It’s that it’s not particularly enjoyable, whereas driving in CA is great. Wide lanes, great roads (compared to NYC), and so on.

Lots of great things about NYC. The subway is chief among them. Driving is not. :)

Yeah, I was really really impressed given how bad the damage was. And he got 3 wheels done in about an hour. The next closest place that had a refinishing machine (he refinishes by hand) both cost more and quoted me 6-8 hours.

Highly recommend him. He was a recommendation from @SaratogaLefty (and other folks) and they will come out to you for a fee also; otherwise, his home shop is in Morgan Hill.

If you text them photos, they'll respond with whether they think they can repair it and what the cost would be.

Yelp reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wheel-guys-san-jose-2
Google reviews: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Wheel+Guys/@-35.2643897,-45,9z/data=!4m8!3m7!1s0x8091df74a71f19df:0x51d7c15583f71c86!8m2!3d37.073824!4d-121.9358852!9m1!1b1!16s/g/11f2wm_mxm?hl=en-US&entry=ttu
Can I take these rims to any tire shop or does it have to be a shop that does refinishing?

Yeah, the rears are available but the fronts are backordered. How did you pop this one? And same tire both times, huh? You storing a pile of bricks in the frunk by any chance? haha
Was tough to see it drive off to the service center sending constant “being towed notifications”, but getting good service and updates from the Costa Mesa Service Center. I was sent a pic of the blown tire which had a nice gash. Now getting the nose lamp assembly replaced which was damaged by the misaligned frunk.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.webp
    IMG_0128.webp
    586.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 367A4C6939446D4C592E2D3159306A412D7A505877344B6C5A4A.webp
    367A4C6939446D4C592E2D3159306A412D7A505877344B6C5A4A.webp
    193.1 KB · Views: 51
It’s that it’s not particularly enjoyable, whereas driving in CA is great. Wide lanes, great roads (compared to NYC), and so on.

Lots of great things about NYC. The subway is chief among them. Driving is not. :)
With the crime on NYC subways these days, not so much. ;)

It’s not that I can’t do it. I did it for many years and still do (my whole family lives in Brooklyn).

Completely agree. In 1973 I moved to the City (West Village). I sold my car and didn't purchase another one until I moved out seven years later. I rented when I wanted/needed a car. Sometimes my wife and I would grab a cab to go uptown. By the time we got to Herald Square (a short distance north from my apartment) we would usually pay off the cab and jump in the subway. The Subway was a way better way to travel.

I moved back in 1982 to Park Slope in Brooklyn. There I did keep a car but I had a garaged parking space at work. But when I wanted to put my one year old to sleep, who didn't go to sleep easily, I couldn't put her in the car to drive her around because I would never find a space again. So I had to put her in the front pack and run around the block to get her to sleep. And the neighborhood is called PARK SLOPE for a reason. Good thing I was young then.

Definitely a huge difference in driving between places like California and Arizona and northeastern cities. I grew up in New Haven and we considered a trip to Hartford a big trip. That is about 40 miles. I do 40 miles out here without thinking twice to play golf, go to a store, etc.

With the crime on NYC subways these days, not so much. ;)
Or you could stop reading the news and remember that millions of riders ride the subway every day and are completely fine.

Can I take these rims to any tire shop or does it have to be a shop that does refinishing?
That depends on what you want done. Refinishing looks better, but is more expensive, and fewer places can do it. But it's as close as it will get to OEM.

Other guys will grind and polish, and some can make it look *damn* good (for example, the guy I used does it all my hand, no CNC machine), but others can only make it look good, but not factory.

So just depends.

Or you could stop reading the news and remember that millions of riders ride the subway every day and are completely fine.
Fortunately I don’t have to make that risk management decision as I don’t frequent the city much anymore. My son lives in the city but fortunately walks to work and rarely has need for the subway.

Yes:

Calculate the odds of being subject to subway crime: 1 per million equals .0001%. Try calculating the chance of getting injured in an auto accident (I don't have the data but I suspect it is higher).

Yes:

Calculate the odds of being subject to subway crime: 1 per million equals .0001%. Try calculating the chance of getting injured in an auto accident (I don't have the data but I suspect it is higher).
0.682539682%. Much, much higher.

Source: https://www.valuepenguin.com/car-accident-statistics

People are notorious for being terrible at threat assessment. The media doesn't help.

I relied on the NYC subway for almost a decade with zero incidents. There were definitely days where I had my guard up due to what I sensed going on around me. But generally speaking, it's fast, reliable, and very safe.

But that means nothing to the one person in a million who does have something happen to them, I guess.

Beyond the fact that “dangers” in most area are more exaggerative than not when referencing any cities, I’m having a hard time understanding how the thread devolved into defending New York (which I would not defend).

People are notorious for being terrible at threat assessment. The media doesn't help.

I relied on the NYC subway for almost a decade with zero incidents. There were definitely days where I had my guard up due to what I sensed going on around me. But generally speaking, it's fast, reliable, and very safe.

But that means nothing to the one person in a million who does have something happen to them, I guess.
The last time I was in NY I got out of my hotel in Times Square (Marriott) and went to cross the street at a corner. As I stood there a bicyclist drove into the folks standing at the corner waiting to cross knocking down a woman.

My point is that low risk incidents do happen even if they are in the one hundredth of one percent category but one shouldn't live one's life in fear of these.

The last time I was in NY I got out of my hotel in Times Square (Marriott) and went to cross the street at a corner. As I stood there a bicyclist drove into the folks standing at the corner waiting to cross knocking down a woman.

My point is that low risk incidents do happen even if they are in the one hundredth of one percent category but one shouldn't live one's life in fear of these.
Ever seen a car crash while driving?

Of course incidents happen. Sometimes you might get unlucky and see one. Sometimes you might get even unluckier snd be part of one.

But on average, you’ll live the rest of your life without ever being part of one or seeing one.

I can't believe none of you on this thread know or acknowledge the dilemma with the combination of an extremely heavy car, worsening road surface upkeep, and the 21" wheels/ 35 low-profile performance tires. There are so many comments elsewhere on this forum attesting to this. I'm on my third front tire replacement now and our AGT has only 8K miles. I'm changing setup to the 20"- 40 sidewall profile. Has anyone heard of any problems with that setup? I think that it will be ok.

...I'm changing setup to the 20"- 40 sidewall profile. Has anyone heard of any problems with that setup? I think that it will be ok.
It'll certainly be much better.

I can't believe none of you on this thread know or acknowledge the dilemma with the combination of an extremely heavy car, worsening road surface upkeep, and the 21" wheels/ 35 low-profile performance tires. There are so many comments elsewhere on this forum attesting to this. I'm on my third front tire replacement now and our AGT has only 8K miles. I'm changing setup to the 20"- 40 sidewall profile. Has anyone heard of any problems with that setup? I think that it will be ok.
I have 20" wheels and in almost 20K miles, only one blowout. Had sustained torrential rains in the spring which caused record potholes. Hit one and it tore my sidewall. Actually didn't realize it until the low pressure light came on. Car drives remarkably well on a completely flat tire...

Back