• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Has anyone replaced tires on Lucid Air?

Call customer care for your options; but typically:

If you want it done at a Lucid service center, at least a two-week wait everywhere besides the northeast.

Your best bet is Discount Tire and America's tire

As of July, the tire warranty has been modified and now MOST likely it will be out of pocket.

Discount tire and America's tire are helpful with filing Pirelli claims however; let me know if you'd like me to send a copy of your Pirelli warranty for your reference.

Dose any one know where to replace Pirelli tires?

The front tires on my Lucid Air had bulges within a year and 7000 miles. Lucid mobile service changed it last month. I have to pay full price. The service didn't response for worrenty.

Now, one of the new tires side wall cracked. It only runs 100 miles.

I can't believe Lucid choose such poor brand tires for $180k cars.

1677431939935.jpeg

Dose any one know where to replace Pirelli tires?

Tire Rack has the exact tire in stock with the LM1 stamp on it indicating it is the original equipment tire for the Air.

I can't believe Lucid choose such poor brand tires for $180k cars.

i don't think that sidewall just "cracked". There is clearly damage to the wheel rim just above the tire failure, indicating that wheel was run up against a curb or other object.

Pirelli is not a "poor" tire brand. It's been a premium brand for decades, with its tires being original equipment on many premium and high performance cars. It has also received consistently high ratings from numerous tire reviewers over the years.

Tire Rack has the exact tire in stock with the LM1 stamp on it indicating it is the original equipment tire for the Air.

i don't think that sidewall just "cracked". There is clearly damage to the wheel rim just above the tire failure, indicating that wheel was run up against a curb or other object.

Pirelli is not a "poor" tire brand. It's been a premium brand for decades, with its tires being original equipment on many premium and high performance cars. It has also received consistently high ratings from numerous tire reviewers over the years.
So, I am a poor guy. Within 8000 miles, I have replaced 3 tires. Within 100 miles, I'll have to replace another one. No one take care of warranty. Even no one likes to repair this tire. One of my tires had a nail hole. The Lucid mobile service came and said it can be patched but he cannot do it on mobile service. I needed to go any local tire service, he said. I run into Costco, Mavis Discounts. They all refused to repair it because of their "policy" for Pirelli tires. I had to replace a new tire with my own cost.

I had other cars with other brands tires. Every time I get any problem on the tires, just drive to Costco, it takes care of anything within an hour. I just like to drive a car with peace of mind. I really want to avoid Pirelli tires now.

So, I am a poor guy. Within 8000 miles, I have replaced 3 tires. Within 100 miles, I'll have to replace another one. No one take care of warranty. Even no one likes to repair this tire. One of my tires had a nail hole. The Lucid mobile service came and said it can be patched but he cannot do it on mobile service. I needed to go any local tire service, he said. I run into Costco, Mavis Discounts. They all refused to repair it because of their "policy" for Pirelli tires. I had to replace a new tire with my own cost.

I had other cars with other brands tires. Every time I get any problem on the tires, just drive to Costco, it takes care of anything within an hour. I just like to drive a car with peace of mind. I really want to avoid Pirelli tires now.

It doesn't appear you have much experience with high-end cars and tires. High-speed-rated tires generally cannot be repaired due to safety concerns. This is actually by law in some states (as it now is in Florida). We've picked up nails in our Honda Odyssey all-season tires, and the tire can be patched as long as the penetration is in the tread and not on the sidewall. (Sidewall punctures generally cannot be repaired, due to the intense flexing of the sidewall in use.) However, we have been unable to get nail punctures repaired in either our Lucid Air or our Model S Plaid due to the speed rating of the tire. In fact, we've had to replace both tires on the same axles in such an event, as with high-powered performance cars it is not safe to have different levels of tread wear on each side of the car. And, if you're nearing the life of the tread overall, all four tires should be replaced when one is damaged beyond repair, especially on high-performance cars.

There was an earlier method of puncture repair by which a plug covered in rubber cement could be inserted into the hole from outside the tire and then trimmed level with the tread once the cement set. This had the convenience of not requiring that the tire be removed from the wheel. In most regions that repair has been replaced by the sturdier method of removing the tire to cement a patch over the hole from the inside. Even if that method were still allowed for speed-rated tires, you could not do it on either Pirelli or Michelin EV tires, as they have large foam blocks inside the tire to suppress resonance frequencies to keep the tires quieter, thus preventing the application of a patch.

All that aside, there is no patch that would work on the long slit in your photograph both by virtue of its size and location, I don't care whether it is Costco or anywhere else. If someone tells you they can, you're putting your life in their hands.

If you buy replacement tires from Tire Rack, they come with a complimentary puncture warranty. The unfortunate fact is that the photo makes it apparent you curbed your wheel against an object hard enough to damage the wheel itself. You really cannot blame Lucid or the tire manufacturer for tire failure in such an event.

And me within 10k miles, I've had to replace these damn 19" Pirelli's twice now. One was an astonishing tire blowout with hardly 300 miles and another recently after hitting a kinda bad-ish pothole. Was nothing major but of course pulled over to notice a tire bubble on the front left. Wow. Seriously these tires

It doesn't appear you have much experience with high-end cars and tires. High-speed-rated tires generally cannot be repaired due to safety concerns. This is actually by law in some states (as it now is in Florida). We've picked up nails in our Honda Odyssey all-season tires, and the tire can be patched as long as the penetration is in the tread and not on the sidewall. (Sidewall punctures generally cannot be repaired, due to the intense flexing of the sidewall in use.) However, we have been unable to get nail punctures repaired in either our Lucid Air or our Model S Plaid due to the speed rating of the tire. In fact, we've had to replace both tires on the same axles in such an event, as with high-powered performance cars it is not safe to have different levels of tread wear on each side of the car. And, if you're nearing the life of the tread overall, all four tires should be replaced when one is damaged beyond repair, especially on high-performance cars.

There was an earlier method of puncture repair by which a plug covered in rubber cement could be inserted into the hole from outside the tire and then trimmed level with the tread once the cement set. This had the convenience of not requiring that the tire be removed from the wheel. In most regions that repair has been replaced by the sturdier method of removing the tire to cement a patch over the hole from the inside. Even if that method were still allowed for speed-rated tires, you could not do it on either Pirelli or Michelin EV tires, as they have large foam blocks inside the tire to suppress resonance frequencies to keep the tires quieter, thus preventing the application of a patch.

All that aside, there is no patch that would work on the long slit in your photograph both by virtue of its size and location, I don't care whether it is Costco or anywhere else. If someone tells you they can, you're putting your life in their hands.

If you buy replacement tires from Tire Rack, they come with a complimentary puncture warranty. The unfortunate fact is that the photo makes it apparent you curbed your wheel against an object hard enough to damage the wheel itself. You really cannot blame Lucid or the tire manufacturer for tire failure in such an event.
This is all 100% correct.

Thank you for your time to tell me so much knowledge about High-speed-rated tires 👍! However, I've only driven that car 4 times and parked in private garage since the new tires replaced last month. I even don't remember any hitting event happened. Maybe the tire has good silence feature😃. Just now, I checked other tires and find a bulge on the rear-left tire, which is a new tire changed last month too. Isn't it a quality issue? Do you think that should be covered by a warranty?

The basic function for a car is "driving on road". A high-end car should have better performance on basic function first, I think and expect. I don't want to complain anyone, just like to use this high-end car with peace of mind.

1677442977518.jpeg

Like to know if any one needed to replace their tires on their cars ? If so,

1. Why it was replaced?
Pothole
2. Did the Tire Warranty cover?
No
3. If they have to pay, what was the total price per tire for installation?
$530
4. Was it done by Lucid Service or otherwise?
Lucid @ Millbrae
5. Was it done on roadside or at home?
N/A
6. Was the tire balanced?
Yes
Appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Thank you for your time to tell me so much knowledge about High-speed-rated tires 👍! However, I've only driven that car 4 times and parked in private garage since the new tires replaced last month. I even don't remember any hitting event happened. Maybe the tire has good silence feature😃. Just now, I checked other tires and find a bulge on the rear-left tire, which is a new tire changed last month too. Isn't it a quality issue? Do you think that should be covered by a warranty?

The basic function for a car is "driving on road". A high-end car should have better performance on basic function first, I think and expect. I don't want to complain anyone, just like to use this high-end car with peace of mind.
You should switch to 19" wheels and tires. You'll have far fewer problems. This is not an issue unique to the tires on the 21" wheels. It's a well-known and common problem with low-aspect-ratio tires in general.

View attachment 10109
Something to consider with the Lucid vs other cars you may have had before: it’s heavy. Like, really heavy.

If a toddler falls while running, it gets back up and brushes off no problem. If I fall while running, I likely end up with cracked ribs or a broken wrist.

Hitting a pothole at speed is going to do a lot more damage to a tire holding up 5,000 lbs than a tire holding up 3,000.

You should switch to 19" wheels and tires. You'll have far fewer problems. This is not an issue unique to the tires on the 21" wheels. It's a well-known and common problem with low-aspect-ratio tires in general.
Thanks for your suggestion. My previous car was BMW M5, which equipped similar low-aspect-ratio Michelin tires. I drove it for about 5 years without any big issue. I've experienced a punctures problem and a bulge problem. Costco took care of tires and warranty very quickly. Unfortunately, Costco has no tires for Lucid Air so far. Do you know any brand other than Pirelli as replacement? Thanks again.

Something to consider with the Lucid vs other cars you may have had before: it’s heavy. Like, really heavy.

If a toddler falls while running, it gets back up and brushes off no problem. If I fall while running, I likely end up with cracked ribs or a broken wrist.

Hitting a pothole at speed is going to do a lot more damage to a tire holding up 5,000 lbs than a tire holding up 3,000.
Agree! That means Pirelli is not ready to support so heavy Lucid Air. Maybe no one is ready to. If so, Lucid needs to recall this kind of weel and tires. However, Lucid even didn't take care of warranty. I have to pay full amount in front to the mobile service.

Agree! That means Pirelli is not ready to support so heavy Lucid Air. Maybe no one is ready to. If so, Lucid needs to recall this kind of weel and tires. However, Lucid even didn't take care of warranty. I have to pay full amount in front to the mobile service.
I’ve got 10k miles on my 19” wheels and tires, no issues whatsoever

There have been enough reports from others of bulges on the Pirelli LM1's to indicate there is an engineering/manufacturing problem with this tire. A bulge should definitely be covered by the tire warranty, but the tire warranty is issued by the manufacturer, not by Lucid. Have you pursued a warranty claim with Pirelli?

However, the slit on the sidewall you pictured would seem to be the result of curbing the wheel, and that would not normally be covered by manufacturers warranty. (This is why retailer warranties such as Tire Rack provides can be helpful.)

Building tires for EVs is new ground for the manufacturers that are attempting it. All tire design involves balancing competing demands. Higher grip usually means shorter tread life. Run-flat capability usually means stiffer sidewalls and a harsher ride. Low rolling resistance can mean less precise handling. Optimizing tread design for water dispersion can mean higher trie noise. Etc.

EVs up the ante. They are heavier than ICE cars, they produce more torque at the wheels, their weight increases braking demands on the tire, range imperatives dictate lower rolling resistance. The lack of drivetrain noise accentuates the presence of tire noise in the cabin, so sound suppression becomes another heightened demand. On top of all this, the handling aims and the suspension sophistication of the Lucid require a tire with especially responsive handling dynamics.

We have had eight Pirelli LM1 21" tires on our Lucid, and we have been lucky in not encountering the bulging issue. We replaced both rear tires when one of them picked up a sheet metal screw in the road. We replaced both front tires due to a blowout on the right tire at about 50 mph caused by hitting a piece of metal in the road as we passed a large construction site. While the tire lost pressure instantly, we were able to brake safely and drive the car about a mile until we could make a U-turn to get to a service station with a safe place to park. (This happened on a curbed 6-lane roadway with no pull-off shoulder.) To my astonishment, the deflated tire protected the rim, which had no damage at all.

While I am worried about the reports of bulging on the LM1, my own experience is that the tire meets the challenging demands put on its design. It's reasonably quiet, it has very good grip in the wet and the dry, it stays planted under hard acceleration and brakes aggressively with good control, it handles the prodigious torque our Dream P puts down under my heavy foot, and its tread wear is not bad given the fairly skinny rubber for a car of the Lucid's weight and power.

Low aspect-ratio tires and a very heavy car. Not a good combination.

Low aspect-ratio tires and a very heavy car. Not a good combination.
Friends have had flats on 30/35 series tires on Porsche 911-series cars. I'm sure more weight doesn't help.

You must have been driving a fairly common car or were willing to accept any tire of the right size. I have almost always used Costco but the quality tires for my BMW were never in stock so I had to wait a few days.

Friends have had flats on 30/35 series tires on Porsche 911-series cars. I'm sure more weight doesn't help.

Low-aspect ratios definitely don't help. Neither does the sorry state of many of our roads. My brother has bent two of the 19" wheels on his Tesla Model 3 on Atlanta's potholed streets.

We don't have much in the way of potholes in Naples, FL, but the explosion of commercial and residential building down here leaves our roadways littered with screws, nails, and such. There are three houses under construction on our once-rural street, and we've had to repair an Odyssey tire, while our neighbor has lost two tires on his Range Rover to punctures. And the Lucid tire we lost to a cut was along a construction site for a huge apartment complex on a nearby roadway.

I had to replace five times … once a bulge

Twice I ran over potholes on freeway with highway assist

I have 21 inch wheels so tires are pretty weak I would say

I am planning to switch to 20 inch soon

Back