• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gravity Launch

I don’t think that it’s redundant to have a glove compartment. The bare minimum for a 3-row SUV is storage storage storage! And with Lucid’s packaging prowess, they delivered (including the glove compartment). Actually, considering the current vehicle design evolution, lack of a glove compartment, would denote terrible packaging. And as long as the Rivian R1S still offers a glove compartment, Gravity should do the same. I’d bet that most 3-row EV SUV purchases will narrow down to between R1S and Gravity.

R1S has no glove compartment, but it has 2 tiny drawers under each front row seats and a center console storage.

It’s kind of funny because while there’s features other cars have the Lucid doesn’t, I don’t mind. The way the car handles the basics, like charging, climate, driving, adjusting seats, choosing gears, changing lanes, adjusting wipers, parking sensors, I’m pretty much happy with all of them except I wish the wipers had more variable speeds. Literally the only thing I wish the Lucid had that a cheaper car does better is the navigation. The Volvo/Polestar integration of GoogleMaps is really the best way to do it, it’s just so much better than every other car’s navigation by a mile, although when it comes to waypoint management it’s easier and more intuitive to do that in the Lucid. I don’t need Sentry mode or dog mode or camping mode or fart mode or blinding bling bling lights or back seat screens or screens in the doors or lights on the ground or even a heads up display. I think I’m either too easy to please or Lucid happened to make the right car for me. Also the Lucid app is really good, way more features than most car apps. Being able to adjust your charging % or stop it on the fly via the app is great, and frunk and trunk controls are something missing from most other EV apps.

Yes, GoogleMap on Polestar instrument cluster is very sweet implementation. But personally, I like Tesla/Rivian and bunch of Chinese EV’s (Nio/XPeng/BYD/Li) share the same format in instrument cluster —- left side map, center traffic visualization and right side drivetrain info. It just make a lot of sense. I’m sure Lucid will keep enhancing instrument cluster.

And I really the new sanctuary group apps. It makes Gravity looks classy. I suppose Lucid won’t implement games or video streaming for youngsters until much later when all the higher priorities are ironed out.

R1S has no glove compartment, but it has 2 tiny drawers under each front row seats and a center console storage.
Oops…I stand corrected about the R1S’s missing glove compartment. Even better that Gravity has one; no reason to take away from buyers’ expectations.

If a car is MORE expensive than the AIR and has a function, then there is a supposition that its that greater expense which MAY be preventing Lucid from adding it where as the opposite in price is opposite in supposition so I don't think its "irrelevant". Maybe "irreverent" but not "irrelevant" IMHO
Nah - it means that lucid didn’t prioritize that feature, not that it was too expensive. Like a HUD - I wanted a HUD on the Air so bad. Cheaper cars have it. More expensive cars have it.

The Air doesn’t because… it doesn’t, and because they prioritized other features. It has absolutely nothing to do with cost, in either direction.

There have been many positions where I had to remain objective even in the face of slings and arrows BUT I always invited more slings and arrows so that I could be inclusive, steer those who shoot in a different way and ultimately maybe learn things as well. So suit up and let the good times roll! 😇
I have no problems with slings and arrows. :) As you may be able to tell, we invite feedback, which is why I’m responding. :)

In fact, we’re considering how to reword the guidelines (well, I am, I haven’t spoken to the others yet) based on the feedback from you and others; it’s clear that our intent isn’t coming across, so we will change that.

But just as us dismissing any complaint from you or anyone else is annoying, so is our opinion being dismissed with the oft-lobbed “fanboy” jab; we just want everyone to have a good time here, that’s all.

Next round’s on me, I guess.

So don’t get the max range Air if it’s $125k.

I am hoping they prove us wrong and get the price of the longest range Gravity in a range that is competitive with the R1S Max Pack.

Sorry to bring up yet another company, but it seems relevant. I have been thinking about Cadillac's strategy: who do they think will pay $175k for an electric Escalade? I think they are pricing it to be profitable (on a marginal basis) and they don't care how many people buy it. So if they sell 100 of them, it is a drop in the bucket as far as GM goes. But they can market it and brag about it. I don't think Lucid is able to do that, so they have to price the Gravity low enough to generate decent sales volume. There are not a lot of people buying $125k vehicles.

On the other hand, if Lucid is cheaper than the equivalent Escalade, Cadillac will have an even harder time selling theirs.

I really want this to be a home run for Lucid.

1701001329482.png

And I really the new sanctuary group apps. It makes Gravity looks classy. I suppose Lucid won’t implement games or video streaming for youngsters until much later when all the higher priorities are ironed out.
As a kid, I can say that I do not give a f$&k about video games in a car, unless they involve the steering wheel/the actual car itself. Some options might be nice for charging stops like streaming, as you said.

I don’t think that it’s redundant to have a glove compartment. The bare minimum for a 3-row SUV is storage storage storage! And with Lucid’s packaging prowess, they delivered (including the glove compartment). Actually, considering the current vehicle design evolution, lack of a glove compartment, would denote terrible packaging. And as long as the Rivian R1S still offers a glove compartment, Gravity should do the same. I’d bet that most 3-row EV SUV purchases will narrow down to between R1S and Gravity.
My thinking is that if the glove compartment was removed, you can have much more knee room on the front row, which would enable the brand to move the front seats forward along with other seats if needed, giving drastically more cargo space and second/third row legroom.

The gravity’s console already has a lot of space, you could easily just add a glovebox sized lockable compartment in the there and still have storage! In addition, you would have more cargo space and a thin platform replacing the dashboard that could be used as a retractable table.

Maybe the issue is airbag placement? Got some ideas for that too..

I am hoping they prove us wrong and get the price of the longest range Gravity in a range that is competitive with the R1S Max Pack.

Sorry to bring up yet another company, but it seems relevant. I have been thinking about Cadillac's strategy: who do they think will pay $175k for an electric Escalade? I think they are pricing it to be profitable (on a marginal basis) and they don't care how many people buy it. So if they sell 100 of them, it is a drop in the bucket as far as GM goes. But they can market it and brag about it. I don't think Lucid is able to do that, so they have to price the Gravity low enough to generate decent sales volume. There are not a lot of people buying $125k vehicles.

On the other hand, if Lucid is cheaper than the equivalent Escalade, Cadillac will have an even harder time selling theirs.

View attachment 16665
Battery in this will be 40% larger, and of course much less efficient, heavier, poor handling. The base price is 130k, going up to 175k.

Gravity should beat them on all specs except price.

Battery in this will be 40% larger, and of course much less efficient, heavier, poor handling. The base price is 130k, going up to 175k.

Gravity should beat them on all specs except price.
Actually, the Escalade IQ is well over 100k. Gravity has it beat on everything!

View attachment 16665

It’s not hideous, but it isn’t even in the same league as the Gravity. The biggest advantage for Cadillac will be the impression that because it’s from a legacy automaker, support during and after the sale will be superior. Otherwise, meh. Looks like any other boxy inefficient SUV.

Those people tend not to stay rich for very long, on average
I once met a person who lives near my house attempt to justify his purchase of a brand new Maybach GLS. His answer to my inquiry("cool car! how did you get it?) was "I can just write off the entire car's cost anyways... its basically free and I get more status!"

Yes, it was 100 percent personal use. Yes, he got audited. Suffice to say, he didn't have that GLS(or the house) for much longer, considering thats a gross violation of section 179 which even I know.

Don't buy something just because its more expensive and status, buy it if its ACTUALLY BETTER than something thats cheaper and don't spend your money like an idiot.

Last edited:
The max range Air is allmost $119k. So I think the max range Gravity will cost at least $125k. That will cut a lot of buyers out, including me. I am not looking to spend more than $100k on a vehicle.
The thing with the air is that they gave us a variety of ranges (406-520 miles) but here they just gave us 440 miles which might indicate that the 80k base model might have 440 miles. I think it is needed since it goes head-to-head with the 80k model x (which also gets tax credit). It is essential for them to beat it in order to turn the corner on their current financials.

The thing with the air is that they gave us a variety of ranges (406-520 miles) but here they just gave us 440 miles which might indicate that the 80k base model might have 440 miles. I think it is needed since it goes head-to-head with the 80k model x (which also gets tax credit). It is essential for them to beat it in order to turn the corner on their current financials.
Actually, the Air was advertised as simply "520 miles of range," as they would understandably show top models. I also expect a smaller battery version, if it even happens, to handily beat the X.

Highly doubtful. When the Air was just a concept, they said over 400 miles of range and price starting under $70k. They didn't announce the trim differences for years, and even then didn't give the range of the Pure trims until later on.

I would be floored if an 80k Gravity had 440 miles of range.

As I said in a different post somewhere, I'm guessing the sub $80k Gravity will have a similar battery to the base Air (around 92 kWh). This would give a range of 330ish miles, which is still damn good compared to the competition.

Back