Getting Android Auto into the Lucid

I am afraid if you want to keep your Twraps phone charger on that USB C plug, you are out of luck. Unfortunately, that is the USB port that is tied to the onboard CarPlay.

There may be some way to connect more than one plug to the same USB plug...I have never tried it, but you can most likely find one on Amazon. Android Auto trumps anything else I could think of using.

Good luck and if plugging two into one C plug works, drop me a note...I would be interested to know.
That’s not true. You can use either of the front two USB ports for CarPlay. I have personally used both.

Do these CarlinKit boxes only plug into the smaller USB C plug in the armrest or can it also use the larger USB A plug? I'm currently using my USB C plug for the Twraps phone charger and don't want to give that up.
I just installed my Carlinkit, and I'm so far successfully using the A outlet, preserving the C outlet for phone charging.

I am afraid if you want to keep your Twraps phone charger on that USB C plug, you are out of luck. Unfortunately, that is the USB port that is tied to the onboard CarPlay.

There may be some way to connect more than one plug to the same USB plug...I have never tried it, but you can most likely find one on Amazon. Android Auto trumps anything else I could think of using.

Good luck and if plugging two into one C plug works, drop me a note...I would be interested to know.
Not true. The other USB plug works just fine.

Just fiddled with the video resolution settings on the app I downloaded from the carlinkit site and it has improved the image sizing on my screen.
I ended up trying out the same less expensive Carlinkit 4.0 device, mainly because I'm fairly happy with the integrated Spotify / Tidal / Nav but occasionally need Google Maps nav. Integrated is poor in certain situations, for instance I can't find any way to tell it to avoid tolls and it always tries sending me on a toll road even if it doesn't save any time.

Just curious what video resolution setting ended up working best to not cut off much of the top of the screen?

I ended up trying out the same less expensive Carlinkit 4.0 device, mainly because I'm fairly happy with the integrated Spotify / Tidal / Nav but occasionally need Google Maps nav. Integrated is poor in certain situations, for instance I can't find any way to tell it to avoid tolls and it always tries sending me on a toll road even if it doesn't save any time.

Just curious what video resolution setting ended up working best to not cut off much of the top of the screen?
Did the less expensive device work for giving basic Android Auto functionality? I would prefer not to spend $200 if the $100 option works. All I want to do is have very basic app access on the car's screen - Waze, a podcast app, and Spotify (though I'm fine using Spotify through the car if the quality is better).

Did you like the device if it worked at all?
With the AI box, you get access to video streaming apps but I think it will not be worth the upgrade for watching videos on a small pilot screen.
I am contemplating between the 4.0 or getting an AI box with Android 11. There is an additional $30 off sale on Carlink's website.

I saw a couple of these reviews online. Anyone concerned about it?

Review on Amazon: Buyer beware! Malicious code embedded in firmware!
I'd like a lot more info. Plenty of false alarms are possible when you have to grant communication permissions to the device. But certainly a concern and I appreciate you posting this!

Did the less expensive device work for giving basic Android Auto functionality? I would prefer not to spend $200 if the $100 option works. All I want to do is have very basic app access on the car's screen - Waze, a podcast app, and Spotify (though I'm fine using Spotify through the car if the quality is better).
Actually it's not even near a $100 option, I'm using the CP2A Carlinkit 4.0 off Aliexpress for around 30 bucks from this seller:

For the price I'm happy with it, see attached screenshot. It's not perfect certainly - to navigate on Maps/Waze, I have to touch the mic and say "navigate to home" etc because the screen cuts off the quick buttons that show up with frequent destinations, and it's slightly "squished" in appearance. For my needs (Waze/Maps for navigation with avoiding tolls, Audible) it's definitely adequate and the device is really pretty stable - seems to consistently connect quickly every time I get in the car and stay connected. For music / podcasts I've stayed using the car's integrated Tidal and Spotify apps, and those work well even using the Maps or Waze nav through CarPlay via wireless Android Auto.

I'd say though if you want to do everything 100% Android Auto and don't want to deal with even small annoyances probably worth paying more for the AI box the others are using which handles scaling the screen size appropriately.

Attachments

• PXL_20240502_112308930.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240502_112308930.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
Would be fun if others tried a malware scan. I love Google's clean Android on our Pixel phones, but would never buy something like this and load my account credentials on it. If it doesn't have my accounts active, it's not the experience I want, have in our other EV, and will get in my next car.

I have this working wonderfully with this box https://a.co/d/0kSzihf but I can't figure out how to get the steering wheel mic button to trigger Google instead of the car's Alexa. Any tips?
I just say Hey Google and that works instead

Has anyone with the carlinkit had random Bluetooth drop outs when on phone calls? Over the past week, I've had a few instances where the Bluetooth disconnects while on a call for about 10-15 seconds before reconnecting. It happens multiple times during the call, including earlier today. Hadn't happened before last Thursday, so not sure if the unit is broken or just being weird...

Back