Getting Android Auto into the Lucid

I now have Android Auto in the car!!! The device @hydbob recommended originally didn't work, I couldn't get it to size correctly. I returned it and got this one, recommended by someone else. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CMXHMGZ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. For some reason, when I pulled it up on Amazon last weekend, there was a $110 off coupon for it, which made it a bit more affordable. I installed it today, and it's working great. It works a bit differently than the AA I had in my Honda, an extra button to push on the screen before it fully works, but I guess that makes sense since it's wireless and not native to the car.
As for the button on the steering wheel, mine had stopped working for Alexa. It now triggers Google. And I can say "Alexa" for car commands if I want to use that for car commands.
Thanks much to @hydbob for the investigation into this and the write-up.

I have a 20+ hour drive coming up to my second home in Montana. I'm giving up on AA and going this route.

Just to be clear, the recommendation is now the unit @Amster linked to above? @hydbob agree?

I have a 20+ hour drive coming up to my second home in Montana. I'm giving up on AA and going this route.

Just to be clear, the recommendation is now the unit @Amster linked to above? @hydbob agree?
The unit @hydbob is using is cheaper, and it's working great for him and some others. But it didn't for me and a few different people. Leave yourself time to order one or the other and make sure they work. The great thing is that Amazon has free returns. BTW, after going into settings and switching it to start automatically, it is on when I start up the car without doing anything on the screen.

Starting now, I'd get the device @Amster linked as it's more up to date with more RAM as well. Setup should be the same.

I now have AA in my Air! Set up was super simple Overall, the user experience is OK, but not fantastic. Certainly worth the ~$200, but I still eagerly await native AA in the Air.

I now have AA in my Air! Set up was super simple Overall, the user experience is OK, but not fantastic. Certainly worth the ~$200, but I still eagerly await native AA in the Air.
It's been a while since I used it in another car. What are you missing?

That's my initial reaction -- gimme more time to get acclimated before I try to respond with specifics.

I'm comparing to the AA implementation in my wife's Ioniq 5 -- the UI with the "AutoKit" just seemed a bit clunky.

So on these after market units...I'd presume that our Google data also routes through some server in China? I'm hesitant as it doesn't seem data secure to me...does one have to login to this unit by providing our Google account credentials? Sorry I'm not trying to make it political here but cybersecurity is a real thing we're dealing with..and I've gone through a stolen identity mini-crisis before thus, a bit more sensitive to this topic...

So on these after market units...I'd presume that our Google data also routes through some server in China? I'm hesitant as it doesn't seem data secure to me...does one have to login to this unit by providing our Google account credentials? Sorry I'm not trying to make it political here but cybersecurity is a real thing we're dealing with..and I've gone through a stolen identity mini-crisis before thus, a bit more sensitive to this topic...
Correct me if I'm wrong @hydbob and others (I don't have one), but my understanding is: this thing runs Android itself and has its own apps, but it also lets you hook up Android Auto with your actual phone. I think this means you can set this device up with a fresh new google account that doesn't have access to all your data, then just project your actual phone through it. Then the list of things to worry about becomes much smaller.

Correct me if I'm wrong @hydbob and others (I don't have one), but my understanding is: this thing runs Android itself and has its own apps, but it also lets you hook up Android Auto with your actual phone. I think this means you can set this device up with a fresh new google account that doesn't have access to all your data, then just project your actual phone through it. Then the list of things to worry about becomes much smaller.
But why would I want to hookup a new Google account to it as the whole point is to use my own older account of 20 years as it has all my favorite locations, emails, contacts etc.?

But why would I want to hookup a new Google account to it as the whole point is to use my own older account of 20 years as it has all my favorite locations, emails, contacts etc.?
The point was you can use your regular phone, with all its contacts and favorites and whatnot, through this device rather than logging in to your real account directly on the device. Your phone basically just uses it as an extra screen. That way the device should only have access to what you’re actually looking at in the car, not all of your emails and photos, etc. Assuming I’m understanding it correctly.

It comes up in a generic Android Auto screen with Google Maps. There is a button on the screen to link it to your phone, or you set it to link automatically. If you don't link it, you could still use the maps for Navigation. But that does take away some of the effectiveness of having AA to being with. I didn't even think about security issues. Actually, I don't really know how it works or what risks would be involved. I'm sure others on the forum have more knowledge about that..

I thought about cyber-security for the first time as i was about to connect. But by then I was already committed and the cynical side of me said the Chinese probably had all my data anyway.

In the implementation I'm using, AA Runs on my phone and unit just passes it to the car to look like Car Play.

Cyber-security is a legit concern, but honestly... if I spent too much time worrying about it, I'd just go back to a circa 1999 Miata, paper maps, and FM radio.

Your mileage may vary.

You can use the device without every logging into it with your Google credentials. @segbrk is correct that it would just mirror your screen and use the settings from your phone via AA like any other instance of AA in any other car. The only reason there is a way to login to your google account is that if you WANT to sync it, you can and you can also use other things like Netflix, etc.

So, my main grips are really just two. I was hoping that AA would use up more of the screen so that map would be bigger, the icons bigger, etc. Using my Wife's phone, the native Car Play looks good.

My other grip is one I think you figured out....? Getting the "AutoKit" app to start automagically. Any insight you could share would be appreciated.

So, my main grips are really just two. I was hoping that AA would use up more of the screen so that map would be bigger, the icons bigger, etc. Using my Wife's phone, the native Car Play looks good.

My other grip is one I think you figured out....? Getting the "AutoKit" app to start automagically. Any insight you could share would be appreciated.
When you load autokit, click on the settings icon in autokit, and select auto load.

Post in thread 'Getting Android Auto into the Lucid' https://lucidowners.com/threads/getting-android-auto-into-the-lucid.8258/post-193007

When you load autokit, click on the settings icon in autokit, and select auto load.

Post in thread 'Getting Android Auto into the Lucid' https://lucidowners.com/threads/getting-android-auto-into-the-lucid.8258/post-193007
Maybe I'm thick. In effort to establish my thickness, here goes.

I found this right away "Start Android Auto automatically." I had set this up initially. Maybe I expected too much?
PXL_20240609_174706659.jpg

Now a few moments after I get in the car, this splash screen pops up automatically. We're off to a good start!
PXL_20240609_204245300.MP.jpg

Then this screen pops up. That may be Android Auto I'm looking at,but it isn't my phone. To get phone mirroring via AA on my phone, I now have to click "AutoKit" in the lower right hand of the screen. This is the step I am wanting to skip. I've looked through the settings -- nada
PXL_20240609_204254793.jpg

Is it possible to skip that last step of clicking the "AutoKit" icon?

Attachments

• PXL_20240609_204252897.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240609_204252897.MP.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 7
Maybe I'm thick. In effort to establish my thickness, here goes.

I found this right away "Start Android Auto automatically." I had set this up initially. Maybe I expected too much?
View attachment 21199

Now a few moments after I get in the car, this splash screen pops up automatically. We're off to a good start!
View attachment 21198

Then this screen pops up. That may be Android Auto I'm looking at,but it isn't my phone. To get phone mirroring via AA on my phone, I now have to click "AutoKit" in the lower right hand of the screen. This is the step I am wanting to skip. I've looked through the settings -- nada
View attachment 21196

Is it possible to skip that last step of clicking the "AutoKit" icon?
Hit autokit, then push this button when it's loading.
AA loading.jpg

Back