Engineering company

dsherris

Cars
Grand Turing
Does anyone know of.any engineering companies in MA that could hire an intern? My son is a 2nd year engineering student looking for an internship.

My son is in an engineering program at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. It is a 3 year program where they cram four years into three years.

Likely the wrong place for solicitations of internships. This is a car forum after all, and the field of engineering is quite wide even within sub-disciplines. There are typically career fairs hosted by the school.

Does anyone know of.any engineering companies in MA that could hire an intern? My son is a 2nd year engineering student looking for an internship.
Boston Dynamics in Waltham?

Likely the wrong place for solicitations of internships. This is a car forum after all, and the field of engineering is quite wide even within sub-disciplines. There are typically career fairs hosted by the school.
Or, if your school has a career services department, which likely has some connections to other companies, your son could get into contact with them.

Some advice from a fellow student (not in college, though), don't forget to ask smaller companies that may not be as well known (if the purpose for an internship is gathering field experience), even if they don't have an official intern program! For reference, I've got a spreadsheet of smaller companies for my intended field, and even just shooting some employees/executives from those companies a quick email or asking to have a coffee chat with them can go a long way in terms of networking and gathering some insight (and possibly spiral towards an internship). These smaller companies are generally willing to hire interns, even more so considering your son is fine with an unpaid internship (think about that from the perspective of those companies, which may not have much staff). It did take a LOT of searching, but eventually I got an internship (not in engineering) using that tactic. None of the places I asked had official intern programs (as those dont exist in my field at my level).

It did take a LOT of searching, but eventually I got an internship (not in engineering) using that tactic. None of the places I asked had official intern programs (as those dont exist in my field at my level).

Isn't hiring 14-year-olds illegal in the U.S. . . . or have I lost track of how long it's been since you were 13?

But I'm curious, though. Just what "field" is a young teenager in?

He is 20 years old, end of second year engineering study at University of Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. They scram a four year program into a three year program. His area is mechanical, electric and electronic engineering.

Attachments

• Michael_Sherris_Resume_12.6.pdf
    143 KB · Views: 67
I think you will need to look out of state. Where my husband works has interns and while this summer's positions are already filled, the intern assigned to him this time is a sophomore (2nd year) in the engineering program. We are in Illinois though (not MA)

Isn't hiring 14-year-olds illegal in the U.S. . . . or have I lost track of how long it's been since you were 13?

But I'm curious, though. Just what "field" is a young teenager in?
I'm not "in" a field, I meant I was interning for a field. To my knowledge, it is perfectly legal to have a 14 year old as an intern. This will also be in the summer, by which time I’ll be 15. The field in which I’m interning for is finance, and I’m doing it specifically to learn more about financial modeling and conducting proper general market research, both of which are among the things I’ll need to be proficient at for my career (investment banking). One more thing I want to only see is how much algorithms are used (probably not much) and where they could potentially be implemented by me for my role in the future. Although it’s called an “internship”, I’m pretty sure I’ll just be a excel and PowerPoint monkey, which is fine by me as I can still shadow other employees and get to learn more, which is the main reason I’m going. Doing actual impactful work will sadly probably be reserved until I’m doing college internships, since there’s a pretty low chance a company trusts a teenager with any kind of impactful work (in the field of finance specifically).

Last edited:
Sometimes I can't decide whether you're 14 going on 40, or 40 going on 14. 🧐

I do enjoy your posts, though.
I consider both parts of that a compliment, so thanks 🤣

Anyways, not to hijack the thread. Perhaps this thread would be better placed in the "off-topic" section(although that could limit visibility, maybe keep it here for some time), or maybe post this in the North East Lucid regional group (https://lucidowners.com/groups/northeast-lucid-regional-area.9/)!

I'm not "in" a field, I meant I was interning for a field. To my knowledge, it is perfectly legal to have a 14 year old as an intern. This will also be in the summer, by which time I’ll be 15. The field in which I’m interning for is finance, and I’m doing it specifically to learn more about financial modeling and conducting proper general market research, both of which are among the things I’ll need to be proficient at for my career (investment banking). One more thing I want to only see is how much algorithms are used (probably not much) and where they could potentially be implemented by me for my role in the future. Although it’s called an “internship”, I’m pretty sure I’ll just be a excel and PowerPoint monkey, which is fine by me as I can still shadow other employees and get to learn more, which is the main reason I’m going. Doing actual impactful work will sadly probably be reserved until I’m doing college internships, since there’s a pretty low chance a company trusts a teenager with any kind of impactful work (in the field of finance specifically).
If you're planning to go into investment banking, you'll be an Excel and PowerPoint monkey for your first several years as an associate .... And get to stay up all night with the young law firm associates, senior associates and junior partners working with your investment bank ....

If you're planning to go into investment banking, you'll be an Excel and PowerPoint monkey for your first several years as an associate .... And get to stay up all night with the young law firm associates, senior associates and junior partners working with your investment bank ....
Add analysts to that, and you are pretty much spot on lol. Associates are getting more involvement these days though, and the "90 hour weeks" portrayed in the media are EXTREMELY rare (normal hours are still high at about 60-80 a hour depending on your firm, but oh well).

Back