Camera failures - repeat issues

GregoryKnight

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I have owned the Lucid Grand Touring since August 2022. I regretted it until the 2.0 software upgrade. Let me be clear, my comparison is 20+ years of Audi ownership so the bar is high. At first, the service was kindergarten compared to post graduate. They have improved and are now up to high school level. This is all ok - it’s a young company.
What is bothering me is how often I need things fixed. I have 22,000+ miles and have at least 10 loaner days. I had that in 300,000+ miles with Audi (probably less often than that). What is frustrating is nothing is ever serious. It’s little hardware and software things - over and over and over.
I love this car but if they can’t address the constant failures I will go back to Audi.
As a side note - the Lucid team in Natick, MA is awesome - corporate engineering is letting them down.

You said it yourself- a new growing company. How can you expect it to be on par with companies making cars for over half a century? Its always a compromise. So you want to go back to Audi for an EV? More cramped, less range, less performance? Same deal with the Taycan, the Mercs. The traditional German manufacturers are wel behind Lucid in EV technology. Guess why Aston Martin dumped Mercedes and went with Lucid for their EV engineering?

I wanted the best EV technology! Lucid has that. Everything else can be fixed. Add to the fact that the Lucid looks better than any German EV currently being sold.

Just decide what you want to compromise on.

Defensive. Read and digest before commenting. As someone who paid $140,000 cash (aka target market), I would think my views matter:

My point is the small stuff needs the attention. How many EV miles have you driven with Lucid? More than 20,000? I’m at 24,642. Enough to really comment about the use of proceeds for this car.

The mileage is fantastic. Top of the class. Fit and finish - not bad but not close to on par with others in the $140k class (design is there - poor manufacturing maturity). Performance - best in class. Reliability - bottom.

That’s the key. I’ve taken it in for service every 5,000 or so miles due to issues you would never see from Audi, Ford, Kia or BYD.

Oh, and by the way, I’ve had service cars fail as well. Talk about something memorable for the wrong reason.

Drive more, read with intent and then give me your comments.

Defensive. Read and digest before commenting. As someone who paid $140,000 cash (aka target market), I would think my views matter:

My point is the small stuff needs the attention. How many EV miles have you driven with Lucid? More than 20,000? I’m at 24,642. Enough to really comment about the use of proceeds for this car.

The mileage is fantastic. Top of the class. Fit and finish - not bad but not close to on par with others in the $140k class (design is there - poor manufacturing maturity). Performance - best in class. Reliability - bottom.

That’s the key. I’ve taken it in for service every 5,000 or so miles due to issues you would never see from Audi, Ford, Kia or BYD.

Oh, and by the way, I’ve had service cars fail as well. Talk about something memorable for the wrong reason.

Could you elaborate on your issues? Also, I believe it's luck of the draw. The previous Porsche,Mercedes and BMW I've owned prior to the Air have given me more issues than the Lucid.

I have owned the Lucid Grand Touring since August 2022. I regretted it until the 2.0 software upgrade. Let me be clear, my comparison is 20+ years of Audi ownership so the bar is high. At first, the service was kindergarten compared to post graduate. They have improved and are now up to high school level. This is all ok - it’s a young company.
What is bothering me is how often I need things fixed. I have 22,000+ miles and have at least 10 loaner days. I had that in 300,000+ miles with Audi (probably less often than that). What is frustrating is nothing is ever serious. It’s little hardware and software things - over and over and over.
I love this car but if they can’t address the constant failures I will go back to Audi.
As a side note - the Lucid team in Natick, MA is awesome - corporate engineering is letting them down.
You said it yourself- a new growing company. How can you expect it to be on par with companies making cars for over half a century? Its always a compromise. So you want to go back to Audi for an EV? More cramped, less range, less performance? Same deal with the Taycan, the Mercs. The traditional German manufacturers are wel behind Lucid in EV technology. Guess why Aston Martin dumped Mercedes and went with Lucid for their EV engineering?

I wanted the best EV technology! Lucid has that. Everything else can be fixed. Add to the fact that the Lucid looks better than any German EV currently being sold.

Just decide what you want to compromise on.

Could you elaborate on your issues? Also, I believe it's luck of the draw. The previous Porsche,Mercedes and BMW I've owned prior to the Air have given me more issues than the Lucid.
I won’t elaborate here. The current issue is the full camera system has failed. It will go for service this week. Before that it was the braking system. Prior to that, it was issues with identifying the FOB. Prior to that, it was fit and finish causing leaks in the trunk. Prior to that, it needed a new frunk latch. I’m sure I’m missing other issues.

Unfortunate your car had those problems, but its a new car company. And like you said, not serious issues.

Cost should not have a bearing on whether a car is reliable. Its the experience in manufacturing. Toyota that costs 25k, more reliable than a 100k German car. Reliability does not increase just because a car is worth 140k. How can you compare to those manufacturing for decades?

I bought mine 10 months ago. I've had a few trim issues which have been addressed. Other than that, its been great. Of course, software is always in need of improvement and Lucid seems to be working on that.

I'm expecting reliability to improve as they manufacture more cars and address issues as they come up.

At 6000 miles, I've had car in for repairs once.

Just an update to my posts.... 3 cameras failed causing the full system failure. It was 2 initially, then it was repaired, and then the 3rd failed. All is working well now.
The day I was supposed to pick it up, engineering in Arizona received an alert from my car for a level 1 battery issue (there are levels 1 to 5 depending on severity with 5 being dead). They ended up replacing my HV battery and the upstream cabling. 3 weeks in the shop but in the end I have 3 new cameras and a new / updated battery.
As the head service said, at 25,000 miles, they just replaced the heart of the car.
I do love this car but they need to figure this all out - even a Saudi PIF backed company can only burn cash for so long. Free service for costly repairs will consume cash at a remarkable rate as service is supposed to be your 50% margin part of the business in time.

Unfortunate your car had those problems, but its a new car company. And like you said, not serious issues.

Cost should not have a bearing on whether a car is reliable. Its the experience in manufacturing. Toyota that costs 25k, more reliable than a 100k German car. Reliability does not increase just because a car is worth 140k. How can you compare to those manufacturing for decades?

I bought mine 10 months ago. I've had a few trim issues which have been addressed. Other than that, its been great. Of course, software is always in need of improvement and Lucid seems to be working on that.

I'm expecting reliability to improve as they manufacture more cars and address issues as they come up.

At 6000 miles, I've had car in for repairs once.
I had it in for service once at 6,000 miles as well. Now I'm almost at 30,000 and it's been 5. Ratio seems to hold.

Back