hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Sandy Munro, a popular video host of technology teardowns and reviews of auto products, said in a recent interview that Lucid will probably be dead by year end and that the Gravity will do nothing to fend of its demise. This is the same man who earlier has said that Lucid is the first company to move ahead of Tesla in drivetrain technology, that Tesla needs to study what Lucid has done with interior space packaging, and the Lucid has some of the best engineers in the auto industry.

From predicting Lucid's final death throes, Munro then segued into hawking a toy Cybertruck model made in China that he says will be selling for thousands of dollars in a couple of years.

So, has anything changed?

Well, one thing: Munro's long-time chief lieutenant and the man that Munro once credited with saving his company, Corey Steuben, recently left him to join Lucid.

Boy, that must have stung.

Sandy Munro, a popular video host of technology teardowns and reviews of auto products, said in a recent interview that Lucid will probably be dead by year end and that the Gravity will do nothing to fend of its demise. This is the same man who earlier has said that Lucid is the first company to move ahead of Tesla in drivetrain technology, that Tesla needs to study what Lucid has done with interior space packaging, and the Lucid has some of the best engineers in the auto industry.

From predicting Lucid's final death throes, Munro then segued into hawking a toy Cybertruck model made in China that he says will be selling for thousands of dollars in a couple of years.

Well, one thing: Munro's long-time chief lieutenant and the man that Munro once credited with saving his company, Corey Steuben, recently left him to join Lucid.

Munro is a Tesla supporter and even once sweared about Rawlinson In an interview with a YouTuber. Rawlinson rightfully predicted that Tesla 4680 batteries are much about nothing. Well, guess what, that has been proven. Glock at the cybertruck range. No magical range increase. Munro didn’t like that comment.
Tesla made Munro famous, so he will kiss up to Tesla and hate on Lucid.

Also, in the video above he said he hates predicting, but that is what he exactly does.

His success has gotten to his head!

I saw this when it first came out, back before I quit watching Alex Guberman's channel after Guberman quit reporting on EV developments and tried to rebrand himself as the guy who catches every company at some misdeed. This is not the only video in which Munro has been drunk.

I didn't watch it but I think there are people who don't believe that good products always win over bad ones.

That means I don't think his praise about Lucid drive unit has changed. He still thinks it's much better than Tesla's.

However, history reminded that good products didn't always mean marketing survival: AC Tesla was better than DC Edison but Edison got rich and Tesla died in poverty.

Good cars like Tucker and DeLorean went out of business...

Lucid YouTube has become as bad as Apple YouTube. For every good video like what @Bobby produces, there are at least ten dumb dumb takes. Mostly from Tesla stans.

And then there are the “influencers” like Munro who have conflicts of interest but pretend not to.

When you’ve built your YouTube algorithm bias on Tesla fans, saying what they want to hear has a direct impact on your bottom line. These creators won’t admit that, but it’s just how the YouTube lifestyle goes.

There are just way more views in “Lucid is doomed” than anything positive you could say about Lucid right now. That could change over time. And if it does, Munro will just sing a different tune. And no one will remember this video by then.

Views are what makes the entire YouTube economy go ‘round.

I didn't watch it but I think there are people who don't believe that good products always win over bad ones.

That means I don't think his praise about Lucid drive unit has changed. He still thinks it's much better than Tesla's.

However, history reminded that good products didn't always mean marketing survival: AC Tesla was better than DC Edison but Edison got rich and Tesla died in poverty.

Good cars like Tucker and DeLorean went out of business...

I agree that technological superiority doesn't always survive in the marketplace, and I've had my own worries about Lucid's survival.

However, Munro went much further than saying Lucid's long-term prospects are shaky. He predicted that Lucid is not going to make it to year end and that the Gravity will do nothing to boost its prospects. This flies in the face of too many other indicators. The Saudi PIF shows every indication that they still view Lucid as the anchor of their bet to stake out a major position in EV technology for the future. Lucid just completed a tripling of its manufacturing capacity in Casa Grande and is bringing a factory in Saudi Arabia on line. The Gravity was easily the most-visited and most-reviewed new product at the L. A. Auto Show, and those reviews have been almost uniformly complimentary.

Munro's business was on the brink of failure several years ago until Corey Steuben, the President of Munro & Associates, developed the video platform strategy that brought the company back from the brink. Although Steuben had been with Munro for 17 years and had been credited by Munro for saving his company, Munro has issued not one word publicly about why Steuben left or wishing him well for the future. Steuben actually left Munro without having a job lined up and was only later hired by Lucid as Assistant Chief Engineer for Mid-Size Product.

Munro has long been in thrall to Elon Musk. To have his key lieutenant leave and end up at the company Musk most hates and constantly bashes must sting. It will probably never become clear to the public why Steuben left Munro. I only know that in the months leading up to Steuben's departure, Steuben had to intercede more than once on camera to try to cover for Munro's increasing gaffes.

It's his opinion, doesn't necessarily mean he has an agenda. He could be right or wrong, but saying Lucid is shaky and may not make it til the end of the year is not 100% without merit, even if I am hoping he's wrong and he didn't present enough info to justify his prediction

Having an opinion is one thing. Delivering it with derision and smirking says more than just the words. Have you actually watched the opening segments of the video?

Having an opinion is one thing. Delivering it with derision and smirking says more than just the words. Have you actually watched the opening segments of the video?
And no concrete evidence to back that opinion up, otherwise it can be insinuated that you are just doing that opinion to trash the company.

It's his opinion, doesn't necessarily mean he has an agenda. He could be right or wrong, but saying Lucid is shaky and may not make it til the end of the year is not 100% without merit, even if I am hoping he's wrong and he didn't present enough info to justify his prediction
I mean, even doing nothing, Lucid has enough cash to last until the middle of 2025, so his opinion is just wrong based on facts. Numbers are numbers.

Lucid YouTube has become as bad as Apple YouTube. For every good video like what @Bobby produces, there are at least ten dumb dumb takes. Mostly from Tesla stans.

And then there are the “influencers” like Munro who have conflicts of interest but pretend not to.

When you’ve built your YouTube algorithm bias on Tesla fans, saying what they want to hear has a direct impact on your bottom line. These creators won’t admit that, but it’s just how the YouTube lifestyle goes.

There are just way more views in “Lucid is doomed” than anything positive you could say about Lucid right now. That could change over time. And if it does, Munro will just sing a different tune. And no one will remember this video by then.

Views are what makes the entire YouTube economy go ‘round.
Joe is 100% correct here. On YouTube, Munroe’s motivation is to get clicks and views, and therefore money. My motivation is to inform the Lucid community about facts, and occasionally my own personal opinions. I have no intention to monetize the channel or make one dime from it. Just want to try to help out the group is a whole. I am not particularly negative or positive about Lucid. no hidden agenda. While I do love my own car, my videos try to be even-handed and factual

I agree with xponents and others - just opinion with no facts. It is possible that Munro holds a grudge due to Steuben just as Elon takes every opportunity to criticize Rawlinson. As he himself said, he is not a big picture guy which does not lend itself to long term predictions. Here's a tweet predicting the demise of all EV companies except Tesla due to EA's poor performance.

A year later, almost all companies are moving to NACS, EA is doing much better and the Tesla network be made available to other EV manufacturer's cars.

Have another drink Sandy!

I agree with xponents and others - just opinion with no facts. It is possible that Munro holds a grudge due to Steuben just as Elon takes every opportunity to criticize Rawlinson. As he himself said, he is not a big picture guy which does not lend itself to long term predictions. Here's a tweet predicting the demise of all EV companies except Tesla due to EA's poor performance.

A year later, almost all companies are moving to NACS, EA is doing much better and the Tesla network be made available to other EV manufacturer's cars.

Have another drink Sandy!
In my world, Munro lost credibility a long time ago…..time for him to hand over the company to someone else more honestr, realistic and supportive of the push to EV’s. No need to go around social media hating on non-Tesla EV companies for clicks from tesla fanboys…he sold his soul….

I agree that technological superiority doesn't always survive in the marketplace, and I've had my own worries about Lucid's survival.

However, Munro went much further than saying Lucid's long-term prospects are shaky. He predicted that Lucid is not going to make it to year end and that the Gravity will do nothing to boost its prospects. This flies in the face of too many other indicators. The Saudi PIF shows every indication that they still view Lucid as the anchor of their bet to stake out a major position in EV technology for the future. Lucid just completed a tripling of its manufacturing capacity in Casa Grande and is bringing a factory in Saudi Arabia on line. The Gravity was easily the most-visited and most-reviewed new product at the L. A. Auto Show, and those reviews have been almost uniformly complimentary.

Munro's business was on the brink of failure several years ago until Corey Steuben, the President of Munro & Associates, developed the video platform strategy that brought the company back from the brink. Although Steuben had been with Munro for 17 years and had been credited by Munro for saving his company, Munro has issued not one word publicly about why Steuben left or wishing him well for the future. Steuben actually left Munro without having a job lined up and was only later hired by Lucid as Assistant Chief Engineer for Mid-Size Product.

Munro has long been in thrall to Elon Musk. To have his key lieutenant leave and end up at the company Musk most hates and constantly bashes must sting. It will probably never become clear to the public why Steuben left Munro. I only know that in the months leading up to Steuben's departure, Steuben had to intercede more than once on camera to try to cover for Munro's increasing gaffes.

You made me watch the whole thing, and he disparaged the Tesla CEO for not knowing about the McDonald's toy.

For 10 minutes, the only few relevant words are:

Munro: Ford is either going to stay the same.

Maybe there'll be a couple of upticks or whatever but I think that they'll be the least affected by the by the way 2025.

If Lucid makes it to the end of the year, I'll be extremely surprised.

Okay. I don't think that I think that Rivan will just keep plotting along and they'll go up. No, no problem there.

Question: But does the Lucid Gravity move the needle?

Munro: No, no. Gravity does move needles, but not that “gravity.” [Chuckles]

The interviewer then directs to sales trends in the automobile industry in general.

This 10-minute video is about asking Munro's opinion on sales, but the interviewer failed to expand what is the basis for the opinion.

I watched Muno in the past, and he appreciates good engineering. He did praise Lucid Engineering and even said it's better than Tesla's.

This video is not about engineering but about sales.

Please don't mix up between the engineer in Munro and the salesman in Munro.

In my world, Munro lost credibility a long time ago…..time for him to hand over the company to someone else more honestr, realistic and supportive of the push to EV’s. No need to go around social media hating on non-Tesla EV companies for clicks from tesla fanboys…he sold his soul….

He is still correct about the faulty Electrify America that creates charger anxiety.

8 days ago, before I drove to the EA at 6AM Saturday, I looked at the app saying 2/4 available:

45Bzuqr.jpg

When I arrived, 2 were charging, 2 were broken, none were available, and the line of 4 and above started to form.

By 7:18 AM, the condition had not changed, 4 were still in line to wait for 2 working ones and 2 broken ones:

uGkS3Ct.jpg

People in line told me they called to report the 2 broken ones the day before, but the Electrify America status in the app is still erroneous.

Erroneous available status on the app has happened to me quite a few times since 2022, and that has not improved.

It's not a big deal if drivers reserve enough battery to wait in line or drive to another station, sometimes, in another town (if it's Winslow, AZ, going East on I-40, the next closest one would be Gallup, NM, 128 miles away).

I have used the Tesla Supercharger from 2012 until now in 2024, but I've never encountered a false availability report both in the app and the navigation map. What you see is what you got!

We should appreciate good engineering, and an accurate available status app should not be in doubt in 2024.

He is still correct about the faulty Electrify America that creates charger anxiety.

8 days ago, before I drove to the EA at 6AM Saturday, I looked at the app saying 2/4 available:

45Bzuqr.jpg

When I arrived, 2 were charging, 2 were broken, none were available, and the line of 4 and above started to form.

By 7:18 AM, the condition had not changed, 4 were still in line to wait for 2 working ones and 2 broken ones:

uGkS3Ct.jpg

People in line told me they called to report the 2 broken ones the day before, but the Electrify America status in the app is still erroneous.

Erroneous available status on the app has happened to me quite a few times since 2022, and that has not improved.

It's not a big deal if drivers reserve enough battery to wait in line or drive to another station, sometimes, in another town (if it's Winslow, AZ, going East on I-40, the next closest one would be Gallup, NM, 128 miles away).

I have used the Tesla Supercharger from 2012 until now in 2024, but I've never encountered a false availability report both in the app and the navigation map. What you see is what you got!

We should appreciate good engineering, and an accurate available status app should not be in doubt in 2024.
Maybe, but if you watch the Throttle House Cybertruck video, they went to a SuperCharger Location that was not online but listed as such. But, yes EA has to get better and it will, slowly.

Life is too short to tolerate hubris and that is what Monroe radiates. And, yes, he only seeks clicks with his YT posts.

Back