Electrify America

JerseyStrong

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
Living in the Northeast, I am wondering how difficult It is to find EA charging stations along I-95 and I-81/I-75 as I use both these routes frequently for trips south to visit family. I have A Pure on order and I am wondering how practical it will be to use the Pure rather than my MKZ Hybrid (375 miles to a tank) to take these trips or to attempt another cross-country road-trip like we did in our ‘04 T Bird pre-Covid. I’m concerned about the possible aggravation and time added wandering off the interstate to find charging stations.

Thanks, I appreciate your reports on your Dream experience And your responses to the many questions asked on this forum.

Living in the Northeast, I am wondering how difficult It is to find EA charging stations along I-95 and I-81/I-75 as I use both these routes frequently for trips south to visit family. I have A Pure on order and I am wondering how practical it will be to use the Pure rather than my MKZ Hybrid (375 miles to a tank) to take these trips or to attempt another cross-country road-trip like we did in our ‘04 T Bird pre-Covid. I’m concerned about the possible aggravation and time added wandering off the interstate to find charging stations.
You should be concerned. I’m not on the east coast but EA is not something I would depend on

There are tons of charging stations everywhere, you just might have to pay for them when out and about. A ton of village halls have them, just use the Plug and Share app to find them. Otherwise, charge at home.

So what would you depend on? Do you even have an EV?
I have driven EV’s longer then just about anyone in the world…….since ‘08, a Tesla Roadster VIN 38. We have two cars like most families and we take the gas car. We just took the Lucid GT on a 300 mile trip and it was a close call and it would not connect to EA when I got back very near home. (just wanted to see how fast it would charge and it wound up not charging at all) In my opinion, EV’s are still not ready for travel. Too much range anxiety

Well, there probably isn't anyone around that really drove the first EV's. They have been around since the mid-1800's. There were actually more EV's on the "roads" at the turn of the century (1890-1910) than where were ICE vehicles. Just a bit of semi-worthless history, but interesting nonetheless.

CC780633-F7A6-4C75-82DA-F21B70ED7629.jpeg

Well, there probably isn't anyone around that really drove the first EV's. They have been around since the mid-1800's. There were actually more EV's on the "roads" at the turn of the century (1890-1910) than where were ICE vehicles. Just a bit of semi-worthless history, but interesting nonetheless.

There were 11,000 EVs in New York City before World War I. New York even installed public charging stations on many city streets.

However, EVs were marketed primarily as "ladies' cars", often including such amenities as flower vases, because starting an ICE car with a hand crank was viewed as something beyond the ken of a lady. Real men could crank their cars to get going. (You can see flower vases in a couple of the photos you posted.)

It was the introduction of the electric self-starter that finally tipped the balance in favor of gasoline-powered cars.

There are tons of charging stations everywhere, you just might have to pay for them when out and about. A ton of village halls have them, just use the Plug and Share app to find them. Otherwise, charge at home.
The only problem with PlugShare charging stations is they are all Level 2 chargers- I haven't seen any Level 3 chargers and a few Level 1 chargers. It's great that many/most are free, but you need to have the time to wait around for a full charge. Some hotels have these chargers for free to charge overnight, which is good if you can find one your route. Otherwise the plugshare chargers provide an emergency charge until you can get to a level three charger.

The only problem with PlugShare charging stations is they are all Level 2 chargers- I haven't seen any Level 3 chargers and a few Level 1 chargers. It's great that many/most are free, but you need to have the time to wait around for a full charge. Some hotels have these chargers for free to charge overnight, which is good if you can find one your route. Otherwise the plugshare chargers provide an emergency charge until you can get to a level three charger.
I don’t believe that’s accurate. PlugShare has an option on bottom to specify minimum kilowatts and will show charging stations with that minimum. I just checked and they listed ones at 150 and 350.

Yea I just happened to link the free ones, but you can definitely filter by speed!

The level 2 chargers show as green in the PlugShare app. The level 3 chargers are orange.

Back