• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Dual MagSafe phone charging

The case was purchased on Amazon brand name OtoFly. Similar on both pucks but connects much easier on the right puck. Both pucks are flush.
I just purchased the iPhones this week, so I’m not sure what is normal regarding the magnetic pull.
The case looks fine (just found it on Amazon)... I mean it's not one of these super rugged cases where you can drop your iPhone from an airplane and it may still survive it, so the case shouldn't be an issue. Okay how about that - see if it actually slides during daily driving or it stays secure in place. If it slides by itself then there is something wrong and I will look into it (I can also buy the case to test on my end).

Reactions: Plg
Thank you so much for the feedback, understanding and patience with this! This is a bit rockier start than I was hoping for, although I've seen worse too 😃

Given all the feedback I've seen so far, it would appear (can't verify yet though) that at some point in time Lucid changed the power source. I used a 2021 First Edition Lucid (so I assume that's an earlier version of their USB-C power source) and it worked there with USB-C. USB-A generally should work for everyone but at a slower charge rate - depending on what protocol of USB they use it would be between 5W and 7.5W total power.
The issue could be either firmware incompatibility or input power incompatibility (for USB-C and some Lucids). As mentioned before, I am already working on gen2 MagSafe pucks and I have one prototype that works on pretty much anything you throw at it in terms of firmware and hardware. The downside of this prototype is that the Y connector is rather big due to a lot more circuit boards. I am now waiting for a simplified version that should also theoretically support everything but with a much smaller Y connector (similar size to the current one), but I am yet to verify that it really does support anything I throw at it. For comparison the current gen1 pucks do not support 15V input and some charging protocols. So far they've been good for the other cars we support but it seems going forward gen2 will be much needed.
Furthermore I am planning to go to BestBuy today after I pick up the kids from school and buy a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, and I will test with that too (for the sake of knowing + there is clear demand to support Android too), although at this stage of prototyping and the urgent need to become more widely compatible with input sources I will continue with gen2 and if the Samsung is not working as expected that would be in gen3. Gen2 is expected to be ready to start shipping in about 2 months from now.

With all that said, I just wanted to add this:
* I can't promise this will work with Androids... I see it works for some, and it doesn't for others and I am yet to figure out what's the common denominator.
* With an iPhone, if it does NOT work on USB-A then it's possible you got a faulty unit, just let me know and I will ship a replacement right away.
* With iPhone, if it does NOT work with USB-C but it does work with USB-A, I can offer either a refund or a free replacement when gen2 is ready (about 2 months although I am pushing for faster turnaround but not everything is in my control on this one).
I ordered as well! I have an S22 Ultra and got a "magsafe compatible" case on Amazon. Looking forward to testing it out and hope it works well! Will be nice to free up the cupholder that is currently housing the phone stand.

I ordered as well! I have an S22 Ultra and got a "magsafe compatible" case on Amazon. Looking forward to testing it out and hope it works well! Will be nice to free up the cupholder that is currently housing the phone stand.
I bought a Galaxy S23 Plus a few days ago so I can test with Android too, and my testing shows that this (gen1 pucks) actually works better with the Samsung than my iPhone. I was able to get 14W of power and it paired with more power sources than the iPhone did. All of that will be fixed (hopefully) in gen2 where we can push iPhone power to 10W per puck, but just saying - gen1 seems to actually work pretty great with the Samsung at least.

Hi
i just stumbled on this online. Seems pretty cool. Has anyone tried this? Comments?

Thanks for the link. Just ordered one. Perfect!

Throw myself into the bucket who’s identified their vehicles USBC port will not charge. The USBA port has no issues with the adapter.

Shamefully late to this party, but threads like this are one of many reasons I love this forum. Ordered the charging plate. Probably will get carbon fiber wrap and full set matte screen protectors when back in stock.

Love this transparency! Reminds me of 2008 when Tesla still had yet to deliver the Original Roadster and whenever they had issues they let us deposit holders know right away! Of course, that's when people could not even pronounce Tesla (they'd say Telsa) and not too many people were watching! @TWRAPS may you one day have the same market cap as Tesla (just remember the little guys who helped)!;)
Thank you so much for the feedback, understanding and patience with this! This is a bit rockier start than I was hoping for, although I've seen worse too 😃

Given all the feedback I've seen so far, it would appear (can't verify yet though) that at some point in time Lucid changed the power source. I used a 2021 First Edition Lucid (so I assume that's an earlier version of their USB-C power source) and it worked there with USB-C. USB-A generally should work for everyone but at a slower charge rate - depending on what protocol of USB they use it would be between 5W and 7.5W total power.
The issue could be either firmware incompatibility or input power incompatibility (for USB-C and some Lucids). As mentioned before, I am already working on gen2 MagSafe pucks and I have one prototype that works on pretty much anything you throw at it in terms of firmware and hardware. The downside of this prototype is that the Y connector is rather big due to a lot more circuit boards. I am now waiting for a simplified version that should also theoretically support everything but with a much smaller Y connector (similar size to the current one), but I am yet to verify that it really does support anything I throw at it. For comparison the current gen1 pucks do not support 15V input and some charging protocols. So far they've been good for the other cars we support but it seems going forward gen2 will be much needed.
Furthermore I am planning to go to BestBuy today after I pick up the kids from school and buy a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, and I will test with that too (for the sake of knowing + there is clear demand to support Android too), although at this stage of prototyping and the urgent need to become more widely compatible with input sources I will continue with gen2 and if the Samsung is not working as expected that would be in gen3. Gen2 is expected to be ready to start shipping in about 2 months from now.

With all that said, I just wanted to add this:
* I can't promise this will work with Androids... I see it works for some, and it doesn't for others and I am yet to figure out what's the common denominator.
* With an iPhone, if it does NOT work on USB-A then it's possible you got a faulty unit, just let me know and I will ship a replacement right away.
* With iPhone, if it does NOT work with USB-C but it does work with USB-A, I can offer either a refund or a free replacement when gen2 is ready (about 2 months although I am pushing for faster turnaround but not everything is in my control on this one).

Love this transparency! Reminds me of 2008 when Tesla still had yet to deliver the Original Roadster and whenever they had issues they let us deposit holders know right away! Of course, that's when people could not even pronounce Tesla (they'd say Telsa) and not too many people were watching! @TWRAPS may you one day have the same market cap as Tesla (just remember the little guys who helped)!;)
Thank you so much 🙏🙏🙏

Hopefully things will work out. I am actually thinking of starting a blog on our site to give people a glimpse of the journey it is to do design & manufacturing as a self-funded startup without any prior manufacturing experience /as I am a software engineer & entrepreneur as background/, which is very different from being a well funded startup or experienced company with all the hardware you can wish for. But by the looks of it, I am getting us a new and bigger facility later this summer so we can get some fancy hard-core machines and up our game :)

That's great! Just for my (and everyone else's) info - what year is your Lucid? 2021 by any chance?
First cars were delivered Dec 2021 and were MY 2022. Mine was delivered Jan 2022. There are no MY 2021 cars.

First cars were delivered Dec 2021 and were MY 2022. Mine was delivered Jan 2022. There are no MY 2021 cars.
Hate to correct the master but 1st cars delivered 10/30/21 (true they were MY2022) ;)

That's strange! The owner of the Lucid Air I used told me hers was 2021...maybe she meant she got it in 2021 even though the car is a 2022 model on paper. I will check. I am still waiting for these elephant sized boxes for the screen protectors and once they come I will use the car again to shoot an install video and I will check the VIN or other details that car would be willing to share :)

By the looks of it, the USB-C is hit or miss, and I still can't catch a dependency. USB-A generally works fine (but slower unfortunately). By the way, I should point out that based on my experience people usually write about something when things go south. That gives an incorrect illusion that there are predominantly issues... Most of the people who bought it haven't reached out so I'd assume that it just works + there are several confirmations here that it works on the USB-C. Go figure.
Unfortunately we had a bad setback with the gen2 pucks so there will be additional delay to them. The charging controller is now great, it works with anything you throw at it. But I discovered a flaw in the design of the pucks which would result in pucks not charging as expected at random. Namely - the plate on which the coil sits has smaller diameter compared to the housing that it goes into. Since those are inserted & glued by hand, there is a little variation of where the person making it can position that plate within the housing. Apparently that little variation mixed with the exact diameter of the coils we use can result in inconsistent charging on iPhone (not an issue on Android as the magnets don't need to align to the coils). So we're fixing that now 🤷‍♂️

That's strange! The owner of the Lucid Air I used told me hers was 2021...maybe she meant she got it in 2021 even though the car is a 2022 model on paper. I will check. I am still waiting for these elephant sized boxes for the screen protectors and once they come I will use the car again to shoot an install video and I will check the VIN or other details that car would be willing to share :)

By the looks of it, the USB-C is hit or miss, and I still can't catch a dependency. USB-A generally works fine (but slower unfortunately). By the way, I should point out that based on my experience people usually write about something when things go south. That gives an incorrect illusion that there are predominantly issues... Most of the people who bought it haven't reached out so I'd assume that it just works + there are several confirmations here that it works on the USB-C. Go figure.
Unfortunately we had a bad setback with the gen2 pucks so there will be additional delay to them. The charging controller is now great, it works with anything you throw at it. But I discovered a flaw in the design of the pucks which would result in pucks not charging as expected at random. Namely - the plate on which the coil sits has smaller diameter compared to the housing that it goes into. Since those are inserted & glued by hand, there is a little variation of where the person making it can position that plate within the housing. Apparently that little variation mixed with the exact diameter of the coils we use can result in inconsistent charging on iPhone (not an issue on Android as the magnets don't need to align to the coils). So we're fixing that now 🤷‍♂️
I received my car in 2021, but its listed as a 2022. Definitely a possibility that the hardware is slightly different in multiple models due to parts shortages.

I received my car in 2021, but its listed as a 2022. Definitely a possibility that the hardware is slightly different in multiple models due to parts shortages.
Tru dat 👆

The case looks fine (just found it on Amazon)... I mean it's not one of these super rugged cases where you can drop your iPhone from an airplane and it may still survive it, so the case shouldn't be an issue. Okay how about that - see if it actually slides during daily driving or it stays secure in place. If it slides by itself then there is something wrong and I will look into it (I can also buy the case to test on my end).
I just received another case from Amazon (OtterBox brand) and works so much better with the magnetic pull. I’m very happy with the TWRAPS Dual Wireless Charger and especially the service provided. I highly recommend this to other Lucid owners.

Hi - Just received my Dual MagSafe Phone Charger. Absolutely love it. I haven't read through all the previous posts, but I know from reading some of them there are various charging issues. Not sure what the consensus is on what works and what doesn't, but here is how it is working in my Touring (purchased Dec 2022):
  • Plugged it in using the USB-A adapter, my iPhone 12 in MagSafe Case would only charge on the right side. It would connect via the magnets to the left side but absolutely no charging capability.
  • Removed the USB-A adapter and plugged it into the USB-C port. Using the same iPhone 12 and MagSafe case, it connected and charged on both sides.
I didn't try w/o the iPhone clear case because it has been in this case since the day I purchased the iPhone (can't remember the brand but I think it's a Belkin or something equivalent) and I use many MagSafe-compatible chargers with it. I use a Zeera 5-in-1 charger in the bedroom, a FOVAL for Detachable Magsafe Charger Stand Fast Charging Station with QC3.0 Adapter for iWatch/AirPods in my office, and I previously used a Alkoxy Phone Mount for Car with MagSafe Charger in my previous car. All these devices have worked since day 1 with the case I have.

I found this thread yesterday and ordered the MagSafe charger right away.
TWRAPS emailed me a tracking number this morning already.
I hate the Lucid OEM wireless charger, and couldn't wait for the TWRAPS charger.

I received the charger, but it is not working. o_O
It works for about 102 seconds if I wiggle the USB connector side.
Does anyone have the same problem?

Back