Dryer Plug Adapters

Marzoo

Cars
Lucid Air
Hello,
I have a Lucid car, charges with the NEMA 14-50. My garage has a 3-pronged NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. Is there an adapter so I could charge my car with the dryer plug?

There are adapters which will convert to the NEMA 14-50 plug. HOWEVER, if you are plugging the Lucid Mobile charger into that plug, it will try to pull 40 amps and pop the circuit. Best to get an EVsE thAt comes with a 10-30 plug or one you can hardwire into that outlet and program to pull only 24 amps. Alternatively, rewire the conduit and put in a NEMA 14-50 plug with a 50 amp breaker so that you can use a 40 Amp charger unit.

Hello,
I have a Lucid car, charges with the NEMA 14-50. My garage has a 3-pronged NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. Is there an adapter so I could charge my car with the dryer plug?
The manual for the Lucid portable charging cable shows an adapter for the 30A plug that is not released yet. You may want to contact your local service center to see if it is available. The service centers tend to get access and information before anyone else.

You could for example buy a Chargepoint Home Flex, fit it with a dryer cord from Home Depot, and through its app, tell the Chargepoint that it is connected to a 30 amp circuit. It'll automatically tell the car that it can only offer 24 amps (80% or 30 amps) as per code. The Chargepoint is set up to be easy to swap plug types or alternately hardwire instead. I'm sure there are many other charging adapters (EVSEs) that can be set up the same way.

If you want to both use the dryer and charge your car, but not at the same time, buy a Neocharge splitter: https://www.getneocharge.com/smart-splitter

The manual for the Lucid portable charging cable shows an adapter for the 30A plug that is not released yet. You may want to contact your local service center to see if it is available. The service centers tend to get access and information before anyone else.

I have done this and was told I will be notified when it becomes available by CS. They did not provide a timeline though.

That is to bad since the 30A plug 24A charging would be useful for a lot of people.
Just to let you know, running @40 amps, it takes me over 9 hours to go from about 20 to 80%. If one is using 24 amps, it would take almost 15 hours to do the same.

I thought that I would not need the 80 amp Lucid charger thinking it was overkill on the charging speed, but now, I am leaning towards getting it. I cannot get a full charge during the super off-peak 12-6a overnight and would need to plan for two nights of charging in advance of a trip with the ChargePoint Flex.

Just to let you know, running @40 amps, it takes me over 9 hours to go from about 20 to 80%. If one is using 24 amps, it would take almost 15 hours to do the same.

I thought that I would not need the 80 amp Lucid charger thinking it was overkill on the charging speed, but now, I am leaning towards getting it. I cannot get a full charge during the super off-peak 12-6a overnight and would need to plan for two nights of charging in advance of a trip with the ChargePoint Flex.
That makes sense when you have short off-peak window. In AZ, we have a 21 hr window that is off-peak. I like being able to easily charge overnight so 40 amps is fine for me. 24 amps would do in a pinch.

Nema 15-50 charged agt at about 9kw 35 miles per hr in my garage. 20 to 80% would take little over 10 hrs. I think that is more than enough.

Does the Lucid mobile charging cable need a neutral? In the house where we primarily live, I have a 14-50 outlet in the garage that I use for the mobile cable. It works great. However, we have another house where we stay from time to time. It has 10-50 outlet for the stove that is very close to the garage, I was thinking of unplugging the stove when I need to charge and using a 10-50 to 14-50 adapter. Have others in the forum used one of these or simply skipped the neutral wire when wiring a 14-50 outlet?

Does the Lucid mobile charging cable need a neutral? In the house where we primarily live, I have a 14-50 outlet in the garage that I use for the mobile cable. It works great. However, we have another house where we stay from time to time. It has 10-50 outlet for the stove that is very close to the garage, I was thinking of unplugging the stove when I need to charge and using a 10-50 to 14-50 adapter. Have others in the forum used one of these or simply skipped the neutral wire when wiring a 14-50 outlet?
I don't believe that a neutral is required since the mobile cable is supplying 240V to the car. I have not tried it without a neutral though.

A 10-50 outlet is missing a ground pin, which the mobile charging cable does need. I don't think the charging cable requires a neutral. Charging adapters get around this by using the 10-50 outlet's neutral pin as "ground" on the 14-50 side, without a neutral connection, and should work. Consequentl this EV charging adapter should work but I haven't tried it: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-10-50p-to-14-50r-adapter/#:~:text=The NEMA 10-50 is,not have a neutral connection.

Back