Driving in heavy rain

nathanb8

Cars
15 Hellcat,23 AGT
Is any one concerned in driving in heavy rain?Just got my car yesterday and a huge storm is coming.The car is low and I'm concerned with going thru big puddles, etc.
Should I just park it

Is any one concerned in driving in heavy rain?Just got my car yesterday and a huge storm is coming.The car is low and I'm concerned with going thru big puddles, etc.
Should I just park it
Going thru big puddles should not be a problem as long as there isn't a big pothole hidden by the big puddle. I blew out 2 tires in the last storm in SoCal because of potholes.

Should I just park it

Not a problem. I’ve been driving an Air for 17 months during innumerable torrential south Florida downpours.

Zero problems in rain. Just look out for potholes.

Snow, make sure you’re on the 19s.

Going thru big puddles should not be a problem as long as there isn't a big pothole hidden by the big puddle. I blew out 2 tires in the last storm in SoCal because of potholes.
thanx,what size wheels?

I traveled 400 miles Thursday in heavy rain Chicago to Detroit. As luck would have it, the storm cell was traveling with me the whole way. I found the Lucid to be outstanding in heavy rain (with 19 inchers). I think the weight of the car makes it almost impossible to hydroplane and it gives great confidence. My tires have only 4,000 miles on them and tread depth is of course critical to wet performance. The wipers and HVAC worked fine as well. Not the most pleasant drive but short of a full size truck- based SUV it would be my ride of choice for those conditions.

I traveled 400 miles Thursday in heavy rain Chicago to Detroit. As luck would have it, the storm cell was traveling with me the whole way. I found the Lucid to be outstanding in heavy rain (with 19 inchers). I think the weight of the car makes it almost impossible to hydroplane and it gives great confidence. My tires have only 4,000 miles on them and tread depth is of course critical to wet performance. The wipers and HVAC worked fine as well. Not the most pleasant drive but short of a full size truck- based SUV it would be my ride of choice for those conditions.
That's good to know. If nathanb8 hadn't started this thread, I might have.

They are summer tires and not designed for snow.
Although the 21s are actually better in wet conditions than the 19s, funny enough. But for snow or anything packed or cold you want the 19s.

Although the 21s are actually better in wet conditions than the 19s, funny enough.

That's not as odd as it may sound. All-season tires have to cope with a broader range of conditions (wet and dry traction on pavement, traction on snow, cold temperatures) than high-performance summer tires which can focus on just wet and dry traction on pavement at warmer temperatures.

Easily the best tires for wet performance I have ever driven have been the Continental DW series of high-performance summer tires. If Continental ever comes out with an EV-optimized version of this series, they're the tires that will go on our Lucid.

That's not as odd as it may sound. All-season tires have to cope with a broader range of conditions (wet and dry traction on pavement, traction on snow, cold temperatures) than high-performance summer tires which can focus on just wet and dry traction on pavement at warmer temperatures.

Easily the best tires for wet performance I have ever driven have been the Continental DW series of high-performance summer tires. If Continental ever comes out with an EV-optimized version of this series, they're the tires that will go on our Lucid.
Yeah, same. The DWS06s I used to use were spectacular. Michelins second.

Taking Q one more step . Hurricane just came through our area Sarasota. I drove through deep water last storm with M3 Tesla and made it.
Q is what depth could stop car ?
Not sure how electrical connections under car are situated or whether some other control box would stop car
Any comments from someone who has driven through water 6-7-8”
Appreciate reply

After the hurricane last year, somewhere around Naples a Tesla 3 made it on the news when the owner drove through some fairly deep water covering the road, the car shorted out and caught on fire. It is a great question because there is clearly risk in pushing it in such conditions.

Taking Q one more step . Hurricane just came through our area Sarasota. I drove through deep water last storm with M3 Tesla and made it.
Q is what depth could stop car ?
Not sure how electrical connections under car are situated or whether some other control box would stop car
Any comments from someone who has driven through water 6-7-8”
Appreciate reply

I live in southwest Florida. The question of whether you should attempt to drive through 6-8" of floodwater covers a lot more ground (no pun intended) than whether the car will short out.

You cannot see the road surface or its edges in such conditions. You cannot see whether the road surface has remained intact or has washed out. You cannot see whether metal or other objects were caught up in the moving water. In the aftermath of Irma, I was caught off guard by a short stretch of shallow standing water on an otherwise clear road in my Tesla Model S. I slowed down and entered the water slowly. The drivetrain fared fine, but the water wave created by the tires -- even driving slowly -- tore off part of the composite airflow panels under the car. I would make every effort to avoid such a situation again.

Appreciate your thoughts and it is a given not to drive into water. The Q is if you do what happens? One can get caught in traffic stream going into water we should know what depth Lucid can handle what actually shorts out etc
What do you do IF car shorts out ? Will doors work,windows? If fire starts where does it happen?
Anyone know ?

Back