Delivery False Start

24jlucid

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I was pumped up about receiving my Lucid Air GT but the first two weeks have left me disappointed with service beyond the malfunctions that occurred with the vehicle in the first week.

Here is a detailed timeline of my Lucid Air GT journey. I subscribed to the Lucid newsletter back in July 2020. I paid the $1000 reservation deposit on September 9th, 2020 following the “Lucid Dream Ahead” video stream. My official order was placed on November 18th, 2021. Fast forward and I made a change from the 20” wheels to the 21” wheels. Delivery occurred at the end of August 2022. I was informed my delivery was delayed due to the modification request.

Upon delivery we experienced a charge port error, the charge port door would not open. No biggie, Lucid immediately dispatched someone to fix the issue. I was grateful for the immediate response. There was a minor trim issue on the exterior of the car I pointed out as well. The car was delivered on a Friday but due to the repair and other plans the first time I drove the car was Sunday evening. It was amazing to drive.

Over the next few days I drove it roughly 400 miles. I had no issues with the charger other than the plug tripping my GFI outlet. My new outlet was scheduled ahead of time to be installed but the electricians in my area have been backed up. I tested the electrify America station in the area which worked well. There was actually another Lucid charging around the same time I got there. It was so much faster than the chargepoint charging station I was using nearby my home. Everything was going great, car looks great and drives great. Then the weekend comes and big problems started.

Sunday which marks a week after I first drove the car, my family of four hop in for a drive to have a family outing. Twenty or so minutes into the drive an alarming RED Battery Malfunction Message pops up on my display that also says “Your vehicle will power itself down in five minutes.” I’m on the highway and it is a very unsettling situation.

I was able to find the nearest exit and barely get to a safe out of the way area where I could get the family out of the vehicle and call the Lucid support number. The support team was great that evening. The car had to be towed a few hours back to the Lucid service center. I was told someone would contact me about a rental car from Hertz the next day. My family and I caught an Uber home and that was the end of our family outing for Labor Day weekend.

Monday which is Labor Day rolls around and there is no call or follow-up from Lucid. Tuesday, the same thing. I call later that evening just to verify they received the car. It would be great if the Lucid app would have a section built in that sends notifications to owners when their vehicle is being serviced or is received in service for situations like these. If Lucid is reading this, let’s try to make that happen. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday come around and the same no response, no update experience is ongoing. I do call each day to speak to someone to get an update but their were no proactive attempts on their end and my calls were made later in the day giving ample opportunity for them to reach out each morning or around lunchtime etc. and it just didn’t happen. Worst off, I still have no rental car. At the end of the work day Friday I receive a call from a manager but I missed the call. I return the call within a few minutes but had to leave a voicemail. He must have left for the day because I was unable to connect. I’m hopeful the experience will improve from here.

I am impressed with the car but despite the struggles of what may be happening internally at the organization to get vehicles delivered, this experience is not what I would like to see going forward for anyone. This needs to get better.

The silence from Lucid Service is very unlike them, based on previous write ups. Their silence is disconcerting. I hope it’s not a harbinger of things to come.

The last thing I want to see as a soon-to-be Lucid owner is for Lucid to go the way of Tesla, where Tesla went from a team of real human beings falling all over themselves to help you and loaner cars, to being reachable only by app and “Uber credits”.

At the prospect of paying $150,000 to get through the front door…I’m not sure I want my Lucid now.

The silence from Lucid Service is very unlike them, based on previous write ups. Their silence is disconcerting. I hope it’s not a harbinger of things to come.

The last thing I want to see as a soon-to-be Lucid owner is for Lucid to go the way of Tesla, where Tesla went from a team of real human beings falling all over themselves to help you and loaner cars, to being reachable only by app and “Uber credits”.

At the prospect of paying $150,000 to get through the front door…I’m not sure I want my Lucid now.
This is very concerning. Not even a rental car?

This is very concerning. Not even a rental car?
As of this post, not yet. It could be because the Hertz closest to me does not have a car available. However, I’m simply left wondering what’s going on. I would like to assume if I go rent a car somewhere, I’ll be reimbursed but that has not been communicated.

I was pumped up about receiving my Lucid Air GT but the first two weeks have left me disappointed with service beyond the malfunctions that occurred with the vehicle in the first week.

Here is a detailed timeline of my Lucid Air GT journey. I subscribed to the Lucid newsletter back in July 2020. I paid the $1000 reservation deposit on September 9th, 2020 following the “Lucid Dream Ahead” video stream. My official order was placed on November 18th, 2021. Fast forward and I made a change from the 20” wheels to the 21” wheels. Delivery occurred at the end of August 2022. I was informed my delivery was delayed due to the modification request.

Upon delivery we experienced a charge port error, the charge port door would not open. No biggie, Lucid immediately dispatched someone to fix the issue. I was grateful for the immediate response. There was a minor trim issue on the exterior of the car I pointed out as well. The car was delivered on a Friday but due to the repair and other plans the first time I drove the car was Sunday evening. It was amazing to drive.

Over the next few days I drove it roughly 400 miles. I had no issues with the charger other than the plug tripping my GFI outlet. My new outlet was scheduled ahead of time to be installed but the electricians in my area have been backed up. I tested the electrify America station in the area which worked well. There was actually another Lucid charging around the same time I got there. It was so much faster than the chargepoint charging station I was using nearby my home. Everything was going great, car looks great and drives great. Then the weekend comes and big problems started.

Sunday which marks a week after I first drove the car, my family of four hop in for a drive to have a family outing. Twenty or so minutes into the drive an alarming RED Battery Malfunction Message pops up on my display that also says “Your vehicle will power itself down in five minutes.” I’m on the highway and it is a very unsettling situation.

I was able to find the nearest exit and barely get to a safe out of the way area where I could get the family out of the vehicle and call the Lucid support number. The support team was great that evening. The car had to be towed a few hours back to the Lucid service center. I was told someone would contact me about a rental car from Hertz the next day. My family and I caught an Uber home and that was the end of our family outing for Labor Day weekend.

Monday which is Labor Day rolls around and there is no call or follow-up from Lucid. Tuesday, the same thing. I call later that evening just to verify they received the car. It would be great if the Lucid app would have a section built in that sends notifications to owners when their vehicle is being serviced or is received in service for situations like these. If Lucid is reading this, let’s try to make that happen. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday come around and the same no response, no update experience is ongoing. I do call each day to speak to someone to get an update but their were no proactive attempts on their end and my calls were made later in the day giving ample opportunity for them to reach out each morning or around lunchtime etc. and it just didn’t happen. Worst off, I still have no rental car. At the end of the work day Friday I receive a call from a manager but I missed the call. I return the call within a few minutes but had to leave a voicemail. He must have left for the day because I was unable to connect. I’m hopeful the experience will improve from here.

I am impressed with the car but despite the struggles of what may be happening internally at the organization to get vehicles delivered, this experience is not what I would like to see going forward for anyone. This needs to get better.
This sounds like another possible “12V system failure”. Please keep us informed of your saga as it unfolds.

If this is another serious 12V failure, it is important for everyone to know since this is approaching the need for an official recall. Notice how the problem arose shortly after visit to EA station. Sound familiar?

This sounds like another possible “12V system failure”. Please keep us informed of your saga as it unfolds.

If this is another serious 12V failure, it is important for everyone to know since this is approaching the need for an official recall. Notice how the problem arose shortly after visit to EA station. Sound familiar?
A few days is not “shortly,” and we’ve seen that the EA visits are coincidental. Multiple 12v failures have happened without it, and hundreds of visits have happened without a failure.

Reactions: NPN

From reading quite a few threads here it seems location has a bearing on how proactive they are. Most locations seem on top of things but others you might need to be the squeakiest wheel.

In a rental finally and now we have an ETA on the vehicle repair. I was told it was a high voltage issue and between receiving the part and installing it should take a few days so I will be in my rental for at least one week. I’m glad I have an update. The lag in communication was what was most frustrating but I’ll be back on the road in my Lucid soon.

In a rental finally and now we have an ETA on the vehicle repair. I was told it was a high voltage issue and between receiving the part and installing it should take a few days so I will be in my rental for at least one week. I’m glad I have an update. The lag in communication was what was most frustrating but I’ll be back on the road in my Lucid soon.
Yeah that communication lag is not OK, they could have just found a rental car for you from another Hertz location. When my car got serviced the rental was already reserved and paid for and they got me an Uber to Hertz the same day my car was picked up (it didn’t need a tow, they just were still building the service center an hour away and utilizing space in a shop next to their site, so they towed it).

Yeah that communication lag is not OK, they could have just found a rental car for you from another Hertz location. When my car got serviced the rental was already reserved and paid for and they got me an Uber to Hertz the same day my car was picked up (it didn’t need a tow, they just were still building the service center an hour away and utilizing space in a shop next to their site, so they towed it).
That is the kind of service I expect!

Well, you could have my experience. I had to source my own rental car. I had them pre-approve the Turo vehicle I was going to rent as Hertz would not return my calls. I was told by the district service manager that my rental was fine and that he had submitted it for reimbursement to Lucid. I contacted him a few weeks later to tell him that I had not received reimbursement and he said he would check on it. I really expected a check shortly after that, but we are at two weeks from the latest communication with no reimbursement forthcoming. So, it has been over six weeks since he submitted the request to Lucid corporate for my reimbursement.

Love the car, but ...

Well, you could have my experience. I had to source my own rental car. I had them pre-approve the Turo vehicle I was going to rent as Hertz would not return my calls. I was told by the district service manager that my rental was fine and that he had submitted it for reimbursement to Lucid. I contacted him a few weeks later to tell him that I had not received reimbursement and he said he would check on it. I really expected a check shortly after that, but we are at two weeks from the latest communication with no reimbursement forthcoming. So, it has been over six weeks since he submitted the request to Lucid corporate for my reimbursement.

Love the car, but ...
Yeah...that is terrible. Not what I would expect from a company selling a luxury car. My BMW 530e was in the shop for maintenance and I had a stripped 330i as a loaner. Then they found (after checking at my request) that there was a bad cell and they were going to replace the entire battery pack and the car would be in the shop for at least another week. At that point I asked for a better loaner (something more akin to my 5 series) and they didn't have anything but gave me a Cadillac from Hertz. They arranged it and paid for it.

Interesting, to me, side effect. Hertz kept thinking I still had the car and threatening to take me to court. I read that they had a major problem tracking cars. I am a retired litigator so I just laughed.

They were going to Uber me to Hertz in Beverly Hills and told them flat out no. I said to organize a car at Hertz in Santa Clarita or have someone from Lucid bring the rental to me. Santa Clarita Hertz wasn't the path they chose to go down so a Lucid Tech drove the rental to me and eventually its replacement. I just had to provide a photo of my license, no credit card needed. When I picked my car up I left the rental parked on the street outside Lucid. Their problem to deal with, not mine 😂

Yeah...that is terrible. Not what I would expect from a company selling a luxury car. My BMW 530e was in the shop for maintenance and I had a stripped 330i as a loaner. Then they found (after checking at my request) that there was a bad cell and they were going to replace the entire battery pack and the car would be in the shop for at least another week. At that point I asked for a better loaner (something more akin to my 5 series) and they didn't have anything but gave me a Cadillac from Hertz. They arranged it and paid for it.

Interesting, to me, side effect. Hertz kept thinking I still had the car and threatening to take me to court. I read that they had a major problem tracking cars. I am a retired litigator so I just laughed.
Yeah Hertz was in the news for reporting business rentals on an extended contract as stolen. Lucid did forget to renew my rental for the extra time my car needed, so I called Lucid, because I knew Hertz does that crap where they jump to report the car as stolen if it’s not extended. Lucid renewed it right away.

This continues to suggest 12V failure as reported by others. Once you have your car returned, please consider accessing the thread “Poll - 12V issue” and complete the poll with a description of the problem with resolution. This is a very scary scenario that suggests full documentation by all affected owners.

Lucid towed the hertz rental car to me when they picked up my car, and picked it up when they dropped off my car. Loved that, sorry to hear about others experiences.

Lucid just towed my car to me and picked up the rental as well! Great service !

All is well. I’ve had my car back for about a week now. Lucid had my car for roughly two weeks and Hertz came through with the rental car after a few days.

Communication from the service center improved but it can still be better. No issues with the vehicle and I’m glad I could move on from the initial service needs.

This is still the greatest car I have ever driven and I’m excited about the future of the company!

I’m just waiting for my DA to call me to schedule my pickup time. I’m very happy to hear that for you, all turned out well in the end.

Felt I needed to chime in on this thread as a new owner that is still waiting to take my first drive 3 weeks after taking delivery. Had the same issues with more or less being passed from person to person. I was told parts were ordered for my car Thursday 10/06. Found out from Richard yesterday that they weren't and he had ordered them yesterday. After they receive them they will have to pick up my car from detailer that did the ceramic coating (he's had the car since 09/26 when it was delivered) and take it to Richmond VA to fix. Then it will be shipped back to the detailer so he can finish. At this point I would love nothing better than to just be able to sell the car for what I have in it. I've never driven it so it's essentially new.. Seems stories like this are becoming more and more common as I think now that they're finally ramping up production and delivering cars that the VERY "skeletal" network is being overwhelmed as IMHO they are prioritizing volume over quality.

Back