Cooling the garage?

I am still waiting for DA to call as I confirmed my Air GT QG/Tahoe/19 on June 13th. Not in a hurry anticipating better maturity in software area. I have solar system (9.62 kWp Peak Power) and two Tesla powerwall units along with my Model 3LR wall charger so I installed a Trane/Mitsuibishi ductless HVAC system in garage since Tucson is HOT. I keep it set at 88 degrees and it keeps Powerwalls and garage/car happy. With this setup, even with pool pumps and house HVAC running, my electric coop bill for June was $58. Plan to convert Tesla wall charger (60amp circuit) over to a ChargePoint Home Flex @ 48 amp setting when Lucid arrives. The ChargePoint Home Flex seems to be the home charger of choice on this forum.

The battery care information in the manual says:

CAUTION: Avoid exposing your vehicle
to ambient temperatures above 113°F
(45°C) or below -4°F (-20°C) for more
than 24 hours at a time. Prolonged
exposure can greatly reduce battery
pack life and performance. If it is
necessary to exceed these guidelines,
whenever possible plug the vehicle in
to a charging source to provide reliable
thermal conditioning of the battery
pack.

I think the worry is that battery cooling during charging can take a 105 degree garage will over 113. No problem during charging since the battery is being cooled but once the charging is complete the car will go back to sleep in the hot garage.
Ok that explains why my service guy told
Me to keep it hooked up while its in the garage so that not only does it keep the full charge be recharging any leakage but also to keep the battery cooled because the car essentially stays awake.
Sounds logical to me but I am no Bill Nye 🤪

My garage temp has been three digits, and with the info that EV’s batteries like to be around 90 degrees, I’m thinking maybe I should consider getting a ductless air conditioner or go cheap with an evaporative cooler and running them only when charging.
Am I over the top on this?
I realize your name is EVCar, lol. But remember garages don’t get as hot after you get an EV. Garages stay warm partly because of engine heat in ICE vehicles.

And an air conditioner is complete overkill. Just install a vent at the top on one one of the walls and you’ll be fine.

And if anything you should run them when the vehicle is NOT charging, no? I would think that when the vehicle is plugged I and charging it has the power to do its own battery thermal management.

I am still waiting for DA to call as I confirmed my Air GT QG/Tahoe/19 on June 13th. Not in a hurry anticipating better maturity in software area. I have solar system (9.62 kWp Peak Power) and two Tesla powerwall units along with my Model 3LR wall charger so I installed a Trane/Mitsuibishi ductless HVAC system in garage since Tucson is HOT. I keep it set at 88 degrees and it keeps Powerwalls and garage/car happy. With this setup, even with pool pumps and house HVAC running, my electric coop bill for June was $58. Plan to convert Tesla wall charger (60amp circuit) over to a ChargePoint Home Flex @ 48 amp setting when Lucid arrives. The ChargePoint Home Flex seems to be the home charger of choice on this forum.
I would have thought you would get a credit from your Electric Company. Looks like you have a huge home and are better prepared for any blackouts as well. Nice!
My Electric Bill from my Utility was 208$ No Solar panels here. Will see what we get this month with temps now consistently above 100 degrees.

I was thinking of putting a fan in the upper of the two vents in the garage that are required for CO from ICE cars. That way I could blow out the warm air from the garage and suck in cooler outside air. We are at the cost so it is usually pretty cool, but the EVs can really raise the temperature when they are charging.

I was thinking of putting a fan in the upper of the two vents in the garage that are required for CO from ICE cars. That way I could blow out the warm air from the garage and suck in cooler outside air. We are at the cost so it is usually pretty cool, but the EVs can really raise the temperature when they are charging.
Yes. The solution to garage heat is ventilation. Air conditioning is nice, but overkill unless you are using your garage as extra living space. But then of course you aren’t really using it a garage so the usual stuff doesn’t apply.

I realize your name is EVCar, lol. But remember garages don’t get as hot after you get an EV. Garages stay warm partly because of engine heat in ICE vehicles.

And an air conditioner is complete overkill. Just install a vent at the top on one one of the walls and you’ll be fine.

And if anything you should run them when the vehicle is NOT charging, no? I would think that when the vehicle is plugged I and charging it has the power to do its own battery thermal management.
Only the water heater in the garage, which of course doesn't help.

In my suburb (NE of Tucson) Trico is our servicing Electric co-op. Their solar arm is called Sun Watts and is reviewing implementing possible EV charging unit rebates. In Tucson proper, Tucson Electric (TEP) already has a home charging rebate program.
Since my 3 car garage has west facing doors, it gets up to 110 plus in the summer so the ductless AC was the answer and actually pretty inexpensive. I also am charging two li-ion golf carts along with the Tesla so solar was a good resolution with the 30% tax credit when installed plus the AZ state tax credit. Eagerly reading this forum and awaiting my QG Air GT. My neighbor just got his Rivian yesterday...going over to see him soon.
Remember heat is the bitter enemy of electronics!

In my suburb (NE of Tucson) Trico is our servicing Electric co-op. Their solar arm is called Sun Watts and is reviewing implementing possible EV charging unit rebates. In Tucson proper, Tucson Electric (TEP) already has a home charging rebate program.
Since my 3 car garage has west facing doors, it gets up to 110 plus in the summer so the ductless AC was the answer and actually pretty inexpensive. I also am charging two li-ion golf carts along with the Tesla so solar was a good resolution with the 30% tax credit when installed plus the AZ state tax credit. Eagerly reading this forum and awaiting my QG Air GT. My neighbor just got his Rivian yesterday...going over to see him soon.
Remember heat is the bitter enemy of electronics!
Let us know about the Rivian. Is it the R1T or the rare R1S

I'm here think that ac unit will be suck, but i personally use a Vornado 293 garage fan. Check details about garage fan at hvaclifehack.com. I have 3 Vornados and was curious if a 14 inch high velocity fan could match it. It has a great review at hvaclifehack.com. This fans comes with the ability to move up to 100 feet air. Multi-directional airflow technology.

insulating your garage door will reduce temp by 10 to 15 degrees. I did it my self, material cost $325, about six hours work.

insulating your garage door will reduce temp by 10 to 15 degrees. I did it my self, material cost $325, about six hours work.

Six hours? WOW! It took me quite a bit longer. Vapor barrier is up and I am trying to psyche myself up for the drywall. That and some curtains on the sun-facing windows made a huge difference in the garage temperature in both summer and winter.

Can you put picture here as reference to inspire other reader? Thx ahead!

3 car hurricane resistant door, I am 80 so it isnt that hard, used cellfoam, creates a mess when you cut it but easy to slot into the door.

good luck stay cool. waiting impaintly for my qg agt

Installing garage AC for my car...I can hear my wife now.
I think redundant ac units are needed and since it seems lucid is running the battery fans even when not charging, a generator back-up for the ac is also needed if power goes out. An added benefit is that the generstor can be used to charge lucid during power outages.

I would complain to Lucid. I've raised my concerns over the excessive fans as I think it's ridiculous that the car needs to run the fans that long for less than 10Kw charging. They need to tweak the charging as it seems the rules are set for DC fast charging not AC charging.

insulated garage door picture

Attachments

• 20220802_081746.jpg
    20220802_081746.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
Just a follow-up, we had a guy coming out for the estimate of a hybrid heat pump water heater, who actually recommended a tankless system and a mini-split AC.
A 24,000 BTU Samsung unit (RNS24YBT) would cost $3,800. The unit is 18 SEER.
I'm not sure if 24K BTU is sufficient for a 3-car garage in AZ.

Back