• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cooling the garage?

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
My garage temp has been three digits, and with the info that EV’s batteries like to be around 90 degrees, I’m thinking maybe I should consider getting a ductless air conditioner or go cheap with an evaporative cooler and running them only when charging.
Am I over the top on this?

Do you have a window in the garage? Maybe a simple window unit would be enough.

Does Lucid recommend this? Are they telling people to put AC units in their garage to improve charging and battery life?

I put an exhaust fan in to run during charging. I actually run it from midnight to 8:00Am. So far it is keeping the temperature in the 90's.

Installing garage AC for my car...I can hear my wife now.

Installing garage AC for my car...I can hear my wife now.
I will be laughed out of the house. I have not had any issues of alarm going off. I charged Sunday Night and I bet it was over 90 degrees in the garage. I have the alarm turned off.

I would just wait a little before dropping a few grand on garage renovations. The fans running like that for such a low power input is stupid so wouldn't be surprised if Lucid adjusts OTA in the coming months etc. My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage, the only time you would hear the fans going crazy like that was at DC chargers.

Looks like that may not be an issue for me anyway since my impending delivery tomorrow has just been postponed indefinitely.

I would just wait a little before dropping a few grand on garage renovations. The fans running like that for such a low power input is stupid so wouldn't be surprised if Lucid adjusts OTA in the coming months etc. My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage, the only time you would hear the fans going crazy like that was at DC chargers.
I know my fans do run while charging but is that a real concern for battery life? If they are doing their job IMO there should not be anything to worry about.

The battery care information in the manual says:

CAUTION: Avoid exposing your vehicle
to ambient temperatures above 113°F
(45°C) or below -4°F (-20°C) for more
than 24 hours at a time. Prolonged
exposure can greatly reduce battery
pack life and performance. If it is
necessary to exceed these guidelines,
whenever possible plug the vehicle in
to a charging source to provide reliable
thermal conditioning of the battery
pack.

I think the worry is that battery cooling during charging can take a 105 degree garage will over 113. No problem during charging since the battery is being cooled but once the charging is complete the car will go back to sleep in the hot garage.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I could swear that the charging process for my wife's non-Lucid EV would increase the garage temp up to 10 degrees., going from 15% to 80% SOC.

I think the worry is that battery cooling during charging can take a 105 degree garage will over 113. No problem during charging since the battery is being cooled but once the charging is complete the car will go back to sleep in the hot garage.
A real potential problem for our region.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I could swear that the charging process for my wife's non-Lucid EV would increase the garage temp up to 10 degrees., going from 15% to 80% SOC.
I can imagine that every EV handles it differently but apart from a few clicking noises when starting the e-Tron was quiet as a mouse. The Lucid increased my garage temp by at least 15 to 20 degrees which is fine on colder days but when you're pushing mid 90's in summer and your garage has no ventilation its a problem.

My I Pace runs the fans pretty loudly when it’s hot and plugged in.

Look on the bright side, free house heating in winter 😂

Well, maybe I should use our ICE cars when the temp is >110 like this week, and avoid having to charge.

Back