Air Conditioning not cooling the car enough

Completely anecdotal and subjective but yes the AC struggles to overcome the greenhouse effect of a car built well like a giant greenhouse. Compared to the wife’s Range Rover Velar which also has a full glass roof I can turn on the AC ( just the front mind you) to max with fan set at max and usually within the first 5 minutes on a hot sunny day I have to start dialing up temp and fan speed down. In addition max on the cooling seats will actually get painful on your ass after 5 minutes and I turn the seat part off and leave the lumbar area on but a lesser setting.
In contrast my GT can take up to 20 minutes to get comfortable and the seats on max you often wonder if they are on on hot days, although I can feel them on moderately warm days. This is not great when a lot of your driving is local and you are in the car only 10-30 minutes At a stretch. I wind up leaving the AC on when I exit the car as to not to keep repeating the process.
As far as the app yes you need to keep hitting the on button for remote cooling 2-4 times. Compared to my old Tesla model S I could watch the temp come down usually a few degrees a minute ( actually this was kinda fun) while my Lucid the temp change is maybe a degree every few minutes. It’s just glacial. I’m in New York so I really feel for you guys down south. I think Lucid is holding the AC back to keep the efficiency up. This is one area you need to over engineer or program because passenger comfort really colors an owners or prospective buyers impression of the car. I’m hoping the update really addresses these deficiencies as this is my biggest gripe with a car I love to drive. 20 k miles and counting. My two cents anyway
When I got tints is when this all changed for me.

Besides not cooling enough here in Texas (no tint) my other pet peeve is even in 100 degree heat the AC still starts in Defrost mode >50% of the time and the Defrost button is no on.

As suggested here I have to hit the various modes to get the Car to blowing just the Top Vents.

I am a T-Mobile and iPhone user and have never been able to remotely turn on the cooling.

Did a timed test of remote cooling just now .91 degrees outside and sunny. Car interior temp 101. I engage the app( worked on 2nd try). In 20 minutes the car cools to 84 or 17 degrees in 20 minutes or a little less than a degree per minute although it the first 5 minutes barely budged as expected cooling all the vents and duct work. A bit better than I assumed.
Waited till 30 minutes but the car seems stalled at 82 degrees even though it’s set for 64 degrees, so two more degrees in 10 min

Did a timed test of remote cooling just now .91 degrees outside and sunny. Car interior temp 101. I engage the app( worked on 2nd try). In 20 minutes the car cools to 84 or 17 degrees in 20 minutes or a little less than a degree per minute although it the first 5 minutes barely budged as expected cooling all the vents and duct work. A bit better than I assumed.
Waited till 30 minutes but the car seems stalled at 82 degrees even though it’s set for 64 degrees, so two more degrees in 10 min
I think there is a limit on how much a car can cool sitting still with no wind moving over the radiators. I hope someone corrects me, but my ICE cars never cooled great sitting still.

I have done this test when it is 110 out and the interior is over 140. It always stalls out in the 80's but the car is comfortable to get into. It makes me wonder of the interior temperature sensor is not accurate when the car is sitting in the sun.

Max AC mode works well

I have done this test when it is 110 out and the interior is over 140. It always stalls out in the 80's but the car is comfortable to get into. It makes me wonder of the interior temperature sensor is not accurate when the car is sitting in the sun.
This has been my experience as well especially during the winter. The car would say it's close to freezing but sitting inside and it was a comfortable 50

Always wondered what that was about

I don't mean to spoil this Debby Downer partay; but I'm here to tell you the HVAC system in my AGT kicks ass and takes names, it does an outstanding job! 👍

Set on auto, zones are synced (sync has to be occasionally reset) on super hot and humid days I will run both seat fans to bring down the ambient temp of those surfaces, and recirc the air. Climate wise nothing differs from the routine I do in my other cars.
You're not in 105 degree temps with a desert sun burning you up. I'm from Chicago and the heat isn't comparable to the desert Southwest. Down here IR protecting tint isn't an option and will help mitigate the issues with the AC capacity, which does not compare to any ICE.

I would expect the AC to be just fine in the midwest and the North in general.

You're not in 105 degree temps with a desert sun burning you up. I'm from Chicago and the heat isn't comparable to the desert Southwest. Down here IR protecting tint isn't an option and will help mitigate the issues with the AC capacity, which does not compare to any ICE.

I would expect the AC to be just fine in the midwest and the North in general.
I'll give you that we haven't broke 95* this year, but Monday through Friday my car is usually parked in a black asphalt lot with the car facing east in front of a brick wall, while not the desert it does get pretty damn hot with all that dark surface soaking the energy of the sun.
In any event the cooling in my car has been equal to that of my other vehicles.

One other note; I generally always park all of my cars with the windows cracked open 2 or so inches which helps quite a bit in keeping the radiant heat lower inside the vehicle which decreases the radiant heat for any AC system to overcome.

So far my AC has performed perfectly in 104* Dallas weather. I have windows tinted as I do in all my cars and as I mentioned before I maintain cabin temp or pre-cool on hot days. Zero issues so far but I haven't gotten into the car after it baking in the hot sun without pre-cooling so I'm not sure what that would be like.

So far my AC has performed perfectly in 104* Dallas weather. I have windows tinted as I do in all my cars and as I mentioned before I maintain cabin temp or pre-cool on hot days. Zero issues so far but I haven't gotten into the car after it baking in the hot sun without pre-cooling so I'm not sure what that would be like.
It'll be like an oven, even with IR reducing tint.

The point I'm making is that with XPEL (or other IR reducing tint), pre-cooling, and "maintain temperature" (the 45 minute option), you can manage the heat. However, having to manage car temp proactively is not the experience expected by the general population of car owners. They expect to be able to get into their car, blast their A/C for 5 minutes and the car then is cool.

As feedback to Lucid, I would suggest the following:
  • Add an option for a premium IR reducing tint for a fee, to be selected at order time.
    • Having to purchase after-market is not only a hassle to arrange, with varying quality, downtime from car access, but also many (most?) detailers won't tint the front windshield and front canopy because they don't want to risk breaking the glass removing the sun visors.
  • Increase the A/C capacity, or offer as an option for an upgrade fee
These could be revenue generators for Lucid.

The point I'm making is that with XPEL (or other IR reducing tint), pre-cooling, and "maintain temperature" (the 45 minute option), you can manage the heat. However, having to manage car temp proactively is not the experience expected by the general population of car owners. They expect to be able to get into their car, blast their A/C for 5 minutes and the car then is cool.

• Add an option for a premium IR reducing tint for a fee, to be selected at order time.
    • Having to purchase after-market is not only a hassle to arrange, with varying quality, downtime from car access, but also many (most?) detailers won't tint the front windshield and front canopy because they don't want to risk breaking the glass removing the sun visors.
Can you imagine the tirades on this forum if Lucid sold “better AC” as an optional extra?

“My $25k Honda had ten times that AC at one fifth the price!”

I’d have to quit the forum altogether. No thanks.

Can you imagine the tirades on this forum if Lucid sold “better AC” as an optional extra?

Ok, well then just upgrade the A/C.

It's already an issue for some. I often wonder if the issue will be highlighted even further with the Saudi Arabia delivery feedback.

Last edited:

I think you make excellent points. As pointed out on this board, some appear to be satisfied with their A/C, while others like myself find it to be inadequate during the hot summer days.

I disagree with you. As an owner of 5 previous Porsche's. I and many others have picked and paid extra for the following options which I felt should have been standard.

1. power steering plus(easier to turn the steering wheel).
2. noise and insulated glass vs the standard thin glass

Plus many other additional options that you would expect to come standard or at least be offered as a no charge option.

Though I did not think it was right on an already expensive car, it did not seem to affect sales whatsoever, nor did it stop me from continuing to buy Porsche's.

If Lucid is positioning itself as an upscale brand, the more options it can offer the customer, the wider the customer base will be IMO, even if they charge extra for what many would consider standard fare.

I disagree with you. As an owner of 5 previous Porsche's. I and many others have picked and paid extra for the following options which I felt should have been standard.

1. power steering plus(easier to turn the steering wheel).
2. noise and insulated glass vs the standard thin glass

Plus many other additional options that you would expect to come standard or at least be offered as a no charge option.

Though I did not think it was right on an already expensive car, it did not seem to affect sales whatsoever, nor did it stop me from continuing to buy Porsche's.

If Lucid is positioning itself as an upscale brand, the more options it can offer the customer, the wider the customer base will be IMO, even if they charge extra for what many would consider standard fare.
I didn't say Lucid couldn't get away with it. I said I'd have to quit the forum if they did, because the people here would have a collective conniption that would last a month.

I didn't say Lucid couldn't get away with it. I said I'd have to quit the forum if they did, because the people here would have a collective conniption that would last a month.
LOL.

Around ~70 degrees outside. Set air con to lowest temp possible (59) and max level (10). The car doesn't really get that cool. Anyone else having this?
Yes. The air conditioning is horribl. The service center says it performs to specifications….it just does not cool the car. How on earth are people in Arizona dealing with this?

Yes. The air conditioning is horribl. The service center says it performs to specifications….it just does not cool the car. How on earth are people in Arizona dealing with this?
How about the ones shipped to Saudi Arabia?! Although I think Phoenix is hotter than Riyadh at the moment

You should bring that car to service. The air-conditioning is working perfectly fine for me in 90+ degree weather.

Back