Coolant Leak and Other Issues (DE)

Perhaps I’m over-reacting. My AGT is mostly my daily driver too. But knowing sometimes, when one might get to stuck in Service Center, or certain region/states may not have charging infrastructure, it’s best to have plan B, which is extra car as back up. I’m fortunate never have to have Service Center keep my car more than a week, only had 12V check up. Houston Service Center does impeccable job in my personal experience. I intend to keep my AGT as long as I can.
How has the Houston SC been regarding giving out loaners? I have an appointment to have my AT picked up in Plano and taken to Houston for a list of tweaks (including frunk latch, charging port door, and side view mirror replacement with camera recal) and my 12K annual maintenance. In working with my Mobile Service Tech he said they have changed their process a bit in transporting our vehicles. They are no longer contracting with a third party transport company, rather the MS Team have their own enclosed transport rig. They pick it up and take it to Houston where they immediately do all the work. Sounds like it should be a quicker process to get my AT back. The down side is he doesn't have any loaners in the DFW area so he advised I do my own rental and submit the receipts for reimbursement... Would obviously much rather have a Lucid loaner!

The SC said that, while they did replace the hose that is held in place by the clamp in question at the front of the car, they found another leak. A pinhole had developed in the rubber gasket where a coolant hose connects to a coolant reservoir tank in the rear of the car near the MPV box.

They said that the high voltage system was never without sufficient coolant to control temperature. They ran a full diagnostic on the battery pack and say it suffered no damage.

The car is going on a truck now and will be delivered back to us in about three hours.
Thanks for the info.
Glad you have your car back.

How has the Houston SC been regarding giving out loaners? I have an appointment to have my AT picked up in Plano and taken to Houston for a list of tweaks (including frunk latch, charging port door, and side view mirror replacement with camera recal) and my 12K annual maintenance. In working with my Mobile Service Tech he said they have changed their process a bit in transporting our vehicles. They are no longer contracting with a third party transport company, rather the MS Team have their own enclosed transport rig. They pick it up and take it to Houston where they immediately do all the work. Sounds like it should be a quicker process to get my AT back. The down side is he doesn't have any loaners in the DFW area so he advised I do my own rental and submit the receipts for reimbursement... Would obviously much rather have a Lucid loaner!

Lucid is doing everything to be price efficient and control business expenses. In a way, I’m happy they are being conscious to manage cost down.

In working with my Mobile Service Tech he said they have changed their process a bit in transporting our vehicles. They are no longer contracting with a third party transport company, rather the MS Team have their own enclosed transport rig.

Same here. When our car was picked up three weeks ago, it was by a third-party carrier. The car was returned from that service visit in an enclosed carrier driven by two Lucid Service Center employees. And that is how the car is being returned today.

I second that. Would love to have some optional gauges showing pertinent real-time sensor data. Wonder if any owners have looked into the Torque Pro app... http://cleanpowerauto.com/files/Using Torque Pro with EV Display.pdf
I can see why some would want that. But I’d argue beyond battery and speed, pretty much nothing else is “pertinent.” These things go wrong so infrequently, you’d probably have a better chance of the software glitching and giving you false stats than you would of the actual numbers being bad.

I can see why some would want that. But I’d argue beyond battery and speed, pretty much nothing else is “pertinent.” These things go wrong so infrequently, you’d probably have a better chance of the software glitching and giving you false stats than you would of the actual numbers being bad.
100% agree on the necessity point. That’s why such a display should be optional. I do like to know the new details of what’s going on, it’s like those utilities that show the CPU temperature and other internal computer metrics… somewhat meaningless but fun to watch.

You're probably right, but it's the engineer in me. Prior to retirement, I got to do some work in the area of PHM (Prognostics and Health Management). While it does require some understanding of your system's performance characteristics and failure mode dependencies, the concept is you can monitor certain critical performance parameters that have been shown to be "precursors to failure". Doing so can help calculate an estimated Remaining Useful Life, which would help trigger a pre-emptive maintenance action prior to failure. Would be interesting to think through how many of our recent issues with coolant leaks and drive train issues might have been detected earlier. That being said, I'm sure Lucid's Engineering design has these sensors which feed fault log data for diagnostic purposes. Maybe just notifying the driver that there are some degraded performance metrics trending the wrong direction is easier...

I agree we don't need permanent readouts of certain data or conditions. However, I'm perplexed at why our car gave us a yellow warning triangle but no information about which system was involved. Some of the yellow warning triangles in the Lucid are accompanied by another symbol telling you what is malfunctioning, such as traction control. I called Lucid Customer Service, and they could not tell what the warning signified, either. They told me that since the warning gave no other indication, it was probably something minor such as a burned out interior light bulb (why would we even get a warning for that?) and that I could still drive the car . . . and we ended up stranded in a travel lane on a six-lane highway at rush hour in a rainstorm.

Such a warning was absolutely useless.

... 100% agree on the necessity point. That’s why such a display should be optional. I do like to know the new details of what’s going on, it’s like those utilities that show the CPU temperature and other internal computer metrics… somewhat meaningless but fun to watch.
Those little meters can also reveal much useful information to the interested observer... for instance, something as simple as the Windows Task Manager Performance tab reveals a lot about the characteristics of the app collection on your computer (for instance, it and the equivalent on other systems can be used to correct software product performance issues: cpu vs disk wait vs network wait, etc). That one meter allowed me to identify the existence of (and then fix) a previously unreported major performance issue on the product of a company just hours after starting work for them (opening eyes allows seeing low hanging fruit)...

I personally miss the Air's "mi/kw" readout being right there next to the trip odometer. It gave the driver long term input to augment the instantaneous "current power draw" graphics. Likewise, a "mid-length" (5-10 minutes) graph of power usage would nicely sit between the those two outputs and (for the interested driver) help reduce their power consumption.

I suspect that we'd learn a lot from a readout that tells us why the Air's Battery Management System dialed back the current requested charging rate (e.g. "full power", "normal ramping down", "slowed to avoid overheating", etc... yup, those are horrible illustrating phrases to use for such an output too ;-). We already know that having the "charging limited by charger" message is informative (and actionable: e.g. move to a different cable/charger).

Necessary? No...
Useful and actionable? Yes!

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'd be surprised if it was the coolant hose as that was a technical service bulletin and they would have confirmed your car had them implemented, maybe the coolant warning was related to another problem, as there's multiple types of coolant for the car (HVAC, battery, drive motor). It's hard to tell, but I'm curious as to the solution. You've been very reasonable during your travails and I hope this is the very last speed bump for you, it's certainly been a headache and you've had more issues than most.

It's funny for alternate sedan EVs, Lucid has no peers aside from Tesla having the vastly superior charging infrastructure and some clever tech software features, as you know. Even @OutofSpecDave decided that was the case after comparing the Taycan, Model S Plaid and the Lucid. i7 is an ugly boat, anti-minimalist interior and I'm sure it's great car bur is the wrong car for me, EQS is a bland blob on the outside and garish Jay Z video inside and also probably a great car but also the wrong car for me. I've been in a Genesis G80 rental for a week on a trip, which is basically the same car as the GV80, and it grows more irritating every time I get into it so I doubt the EV version would be much better in spite of Motor Trend ranking it very high. The Lucid just checks all the boxes for me. As long as I end up with a loaner and minimal inconvenience my car can live in the shop for half the year as I just don't want to drive anything else haha. I will say I ended up liking the Volvo XC40 recharge so much I just got my wife one as her daily driver, and she didn't like any car that wasn't her Subaru but tolerated the XC40 recharge the most, but that isn't in the same echelon as Lucid.
I’ve been curious about trying a polestar. Didn’t you say at some point you had one through Hertz?

I agree we don't need permanent readouts of certain data or conditions. However, I'm perplexed at why our car gave us a yellow warning triangle but no information about which system was involved. Some of the yellow warning triangles in the Lucid are accompanied by another symbol telling you what is malfunctioning, such as traction control. I called Lucid Customer Service, and they could not tell what the warning signified, either. They told me that since the warning gave no other indication, it was probably something minor such as a burned out interior light bulb (why would we even get a warning for that?) and that I could still drive the car . . . and we ended up stranded in a travel lane on a six-lane highway at rush hour in a rainstorm.

This happened to me driving in the rain. I got a yellow triangle with an exclamation point and it flashed several times without ever staying on long enough to see what it was about. Yet another example. Mine had some sort of text next to it but it appeared and disappeared so quickly, I couldn’t tell what the warning was.

This happened to me driving in the rain. I got a yellow triangle with an exclamation point and it flashed several times without ever staying on long enough to see what it was about. Yet another example. Mine had some sort of text next to it but it appeared and disappeared so quickly, I couldn’t tell what the warning was.
Yes, T-company does allow you to see a list of warning messages when you tap the warning icon. Similar thing happened to me on my Lucid, saw warning triangle, but didn’t know what it was for, went away after about 5 min of driving.

100% agree on the necessity point. That’s why such a display should be optional. I do like to know the new details of what’s going on, it’s like those utilities that show the CPU temperature and other internal computer metrics… somewhat meaningless but fun to watch.
Something like the "more details" in windows task manager or like youtube "nerd mode" would be great! I would love to see that my lucid motors spin faster than a f1 motor...

Just got a call from Lucid Customer Service. The car was on the truck heading back to us when Lucid Engineering notified Customer Service that they get a message indicating an anomaly in the battery pack. So the truck's been turned back around so that the Service Center can put the car through more diagnostics. They're now saying they might have to replace the pack.

No question. This should simply never happen on a well designed system. Every warning should be traceable to an error, and that information should be articulated in plain language to the driver, as well as in technical terms to the engineer's logs.

Just got a call from Lucid Customer Service. The car was on the truck heading back to us when Lucid Engineering notified Customer Service that they get a message indicating an anomaly in the battery pack. So the truck's been turned back around so that the Service Center can put the car through more diagnostics. They're now saying they might have to replace the pack.
This seems like Murphy’s law at its finest. I hope they do replace the battery pack for you, if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind.

That sounds like an improvement that they are transporting themselves? Do you have more details on the camera recall? I think ours were produced fairly close together but I haven't heard of this. You are way ahead of me in milage!

That sounds like an improvement that they are transporting themselves?

After I posted earlier that our car was being returned today on a Lucid truck as it had been last week, I got a text saying it had been put on a third-party transport (Night Owl). Since the truck had to be turned around to go back to the Service Center, I only have that text message to go on. But it indicates that Lucid may be using both their own transports and third-party transports.

Frankly, my car has been trucked several times back and forth across the state, both In Lucid trucks and with third parties. I've not had trouble with any of the transports.

That sounds like an improvement that they are transporting themselves? Do you have more details on the camera recall? I think ours were produced fairly close together but I haven't heard of this. You are way ahead of me in milage!
I'm not up on my TSBs so I'm not sure about a camera recall. Been having problems getting the frunk to open from inside the car or using the app. They are thinking the frunk latches may need to be replaced, and I was told that process requires some sensor alignment in the front of the car. My only previous transport to Houston was through a third party company contracted by Lucid last year. I knew something was wrong when I had to ask the driver to first fold the sideview mirrors in before driving my car into the transport. Net result when I got my car back was the right sideview mirror had scrape damage along the outer edge. Since it was only cosmetic, this transport will be my first chance to get that fixed (under warranty). Replacement of the sideview mirror requires camera recalibration.

Back