• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Coolant Leak and Other Issues (DE)

I'm concerned now about the health of the battery pack, even if it stayed within nominal temperature range up until the "low coolant" warning finally came up. I really don't know what the purpose of a "low coolant" warning is if it doesn't come up until the point at which the car is already being sent into power limiting mode. This car was losing coolant long before any warning displayed indicating that cooling was the issue. A generic yellow triangle is virtually useless. Even though it caused me to call Customer Service, they told me it was safe to drive the car until they could schedule a Mobile Tech in the next couple of days to run a diagnostic.
I would also be concerned about the drive unit cooling and if any over temperature occurred there or in the battery. I have had one customer care person quote me pack and module temperatures so Lucid can probably tell if an over temperature situation occurred in either the battery or drive units. In all likelihood, the car was shutting down and going into low power mode to protect both batteries and drive units. Unless Lucid has data showing that the battery and drive units were not harmed, they should error on the side of replacing them.

When you drove the car, what was the temperature? Was there any driving you could call "spirited," in that it would make the battery pack heat up?

It was in the low 80's, as rains were passing through the area. I drove with traffic, which meant 80-85 mph on the interstate. I passed some people, and some passed me.

It was in the low 80's, as rains were passing through the area. I drove with traffic, which meant 80-85 mph on the interstate. I passed some people, and some passed me.
Were you using much regen(which would put more stress on the pack)? Based on just the speed alone I would think that a complete replacement must and should be done.

I would also be concerned about the drive unit cooling and if any over temperature occurred there or in the battery. I have had one customer care person quote me pack and module temperatures so Lucid can probably tell if an over temperature situation occurred in either the battery or drive units. In all likelihood, the car was shutting down and going into low power mode to protect both batteries and drive units. Unless Lucid has data showing that the battery and drive units were not harmed, they should error on the side of replacing them.
When my left LIN Bus failed, which among other things controls cooling for the left battery pack and rear drive motor, the car essentially became power limited and front wheel drive turtle mode, and no damage was done, so that wasn’t just “low” coolant, that was no coolant being pumped, so I suspect @hmp10 car didn’t suffer damage. The car seems to have many systems designed to protect motor/HV battery damage so hopefully his car was unharmed. I actually though it was kind of cool that when the LIN Bus failed the wiper wouldn’t shut off, meaning that if it failed in the rain then the car goes into a circuit-open mode for the wipers so you can still see and not crash.

When my left LIN Bus failed, which among other things controls cooling for the left battery pack and rear drive motor, the car essentially became power limited and front wheel drive turtle mode, and no damage was done, so that wasn’t just “low” coolant, that was no coolant being pumped, so I suspect @hmp10 car didn’t suffer damage. The car seems to have many systems designed to protect motor/HV battery damage so hopefully his car was unharmed. I actually though it was kind of cool that when the LIN Bus failed the wiper wouldn’t shut off, meaning that if it failed in the rain then the car goes into a circuit-open mode for the wipers so you can still see and not crash.

Others on this forum have reported turtle mode limiting their cars to speeds as high as 56 mph. That would square with your experience.

However, our car's speed fell to 2 mph with the throttle to the floor and then stopped altogether in a matter of yards, although the display said that the car was "still drivable" under limited power.

Did you also lose regenerative braking? In our episode, I took it to mean that the battery had lost its ability to absorb current.

Just got a call from the Riviera Beach Service Center. They said the car developed a coolant leak due to that clamp rubbing a hose that was the subject of a recall. I told them that a Mobile Tech had visually inspected the clamp and told me our car wasn't affected by the recall.

They told me that they are going to check to be sure that neither the battery pack nor the drive units were damaged from the coolant leak, and to that end the car won't be returned to us until next week.

Last evening we got our Dream Edition back from a 2-week visit to the Service Center to have all 14 cameras replaced because 3 had failed and must be replaced as a suite, the windshield replaced due to a detached visor, and the brake light panel at the bottom of the rear window replaced. (Everything was covered by warranty.)

Today we headed to a neighboring town, and the disaster cascade began to unfold:

1. We started a Tidal music selection. Then, when we tried to get Alexa to set a nav destination, the Alexa voice responded without muting the music, so that both were going at once. Every time Alexa started to give a verbal instruction for a turn, it cut off after the first two words and also advanced a Tidal song selection. In making one group of quick turns, Alexa advanced through four music selections, each time saying, "In about . . . " before falling silent. The directions properly displayed on the screens, however.

2. As I was driving up the interstate, I noticed that the battery percentage indicator seemed to be falling faster than usual. I usually put the car in Smooth mode on interstates but had left it in Swift mode this time and thought maybe that was the reason.

3. As we neared our destination about 40 miles away, I noticed a small warning yellow warning triangle on the glass cockpit, but it gave no indication of what the warning was for, and the car seemed to be driving normally (except for the elevated battery consumption). When we hit a red light, I did a quick check of tire pressures to make sure they were all right.

4. As soon as we arrived at our destination, I called Lucid Customer Service to ask what the warning triangle signified. They did not know but said that it might just be an interior light bulb or something minor, since no cause was indicated. I asked if it was safe to drive the car home, and they said yes, but that they would dispatch a Mobile Tech to check the car as soon as they could schedule it.

5. On our return trip home, about 6 miles from the house the car developed a noticeable skip in power delivery, and then regenerative braking disappeared. Within another mile or so, the car threw up a warning that power was being limited but that the car was still drivable. However, speed began to drop, eventually dropping to 2 mph. We were on a 6-lane road in early rush hour in a driving rain with a concrete curb preventing us from getting out of the travel lane. I had no choice but to put on the emergency flashers and hope we lived long enough to get Lucid on the phone. After a few minutes on hold (they still haven't introduced an emergency number that we discussed here some time ago), they told me to try to get the car off the road, and that we could then try a reset. The only way I could keep the car moving so that we could reach a turn-off was to constantly cycle it between Park and Drive. Each time we'd get 4-5 mph for a few feet before the speed dropped again to 1-2 mph.

6. We finally got the car into a convenience store parking lot and tried the reset. When we got back in the car, it was now giving a "low coolant" warning. At the point Lucid told me not to try to move the car. They ordered a Lyft to get us home and ordered a tow truck.

When this car is working properly, it's the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned across every dimension. However, I'm getting really, really, really tired of multi-week stints at Service Centers and numerous Mobile Tech visits.

I don't want to do it, but I'm going to have to start figuring out what other EV I might want at this point. Having owned two Model S's, I know Tesla isn't the answer. And I think the MB EQS is an ungainly blob that reportedly handles in line with its looks. Maybe a BMW I7?

I realize that the two Lucid Dreams we've had were both early production cars and that things are likely very different with more recent builds. But, beyond souring me on the Air, I'm now wondering whether I should continue with plans to order a Gravity right out of the gate.
I don't want to jinx myself. I have #40 and I have my complaints about the UI, but the car has otherwise been solid. It has been into service a number of times, but always for items that I could have them pick the car up at my convenance. Since I have other cars to drive I have never messed with loaners or rentals. 23K miles. EA has been solid for me this year, for me solid is I can charge and it's 80kW or better. EA deserves criticism, but journalist making a huge deal that a charge that theoretically could be done in 28m took 37m is whinny. It's disappointing that they can't get your car sorted. You have exhibited exemplary grace and patience.

Just got a call from the Riviera Beach Service Center. They said the car developed a coolant leak due to that clamp rubbing a hose that was the subject of a recall. I told them that a Mobile Tech had visually inspected the clamp and told me our car wasn't affected by the recall.

They told me that they are going to check to be sure that neither the battery pack nor the drive units were damaged from the coolant leak, and to that end the car won't be returned to us until next week.
To my ears at least - that's great news - it was just a coolant leak from a known issue. Hope the fix goes quickly. My car hasn't been into service at all since new 10 months ago. I have a 1-year service appointment scheduled for the end of next month. Curious if this potential problem may affect my car as well.

Are you willing to give it another chance once fixed?

Are you willing to give it another chance once fixed?

Given that I spent $20,000 on a full wrap and a radar/laser installation just a few months ago and that I can't find anything else that I like nearly as well (outside the constant service visits), yes.

To my ears at least - that's great news - it was just a coolant leak from a known issue. Hope the fix goes quickly. My car hasn't been into service at all since new 10 months ago. I have a 1-year service appointment scheduled for the end of next month. Curious if this potential problem may affect my car as well.
Others have pointed out that DE have more problems as they were early builds, but this problem could've been overlooked as it was given to @hmp10 . Who here's hoping that no more problems!

I'll add this (ran out of edit time on the prior post):

I've really been reflecting lately on the Lucid experience compared to the Tesla experience.

Our Lucid is notably better than our Model S Plaid in terms of ride, handling, interior noise level, structural solidity, room, comfort, style, luxury features, and (now with UX 2.0) even software. It also has fewer fit & finish issues than the Tesla.

On the other hand, we have had the Tesla for two years come next week and, except for a couple of early service visits to deal with assembly issues, it has not needed any service. We just get in it and go without a second thought.

I just have to remember that Tesla has been building sedans since 2012, and both our Lucids were in the first 400 cars out the factory door. Our 2015 Tesla Model S had to have a battery pack and rear drive unit replaced, went through four driver door latch mechanisms, was on its second MCU, had a USB port that never worked consistently, and had recurrent software gremlins.

joining in on the sorrow for you're having the issue - frustrating. and i 2nd (or 3rd) the idea of some consolation from lucid - maybe a swap for a sapphire or a very recent gt-p build!? anyway - hope its the last of the issues you see! i enjoy reading your take on stuff and experiences - good and bad - would hate to see you go!

Are you saying this specifically about the Dream Edition ? I have a Touring that is my daily driver and I don't feel this way. I have no back up and don't feel that I need one. I know the DE's were the first off the assembly line and many parts have been upgraded since and there have been great strides made in QC so perhaps you are talking about DE only?
My DE is my daily driver. Has it been in the shop? Sure, and they give me a loaner. But I pick it daily and would not want to drive anything else on the market right now.

And it’s an exceptional road tripper.

or certain region/states may not have charging infrastructure
There’s always charging infrastructure. Just sometimes it’s Level 2 and you get to explore the nightlife in a new city ;)

I just have to remember that Tesla has been building sedans since 2012, and both our Lucids were in the first 400 cars out the factory door. Our 2015 Tesla Model S had to have a battery pack and rear drive unit replaced, went through four driver door latch mechanisms, was on its second MCU, had a USB port that never worked consistently, and had recurrent software gremlins.
Oh man, you should’ve seen the service issues with the original Tesla Roadster. Hell, while the original 200mi range batteries are still going strong, the “upgraded” 400mi batteries are actually dying now lol. Battery failures, faulty tire pressure monitoring system, excessive road noise, water intrusion in the headlamps, overheating, brake failure… all common things on the Roadster.

I've been dealing with the the coolant pump issue on my touring as well. After almost reaching home I feel the regenerative breaking disable and the car starts to sputter and lose power. I contacted service after receiving a drive system warning telling me to do so. Unfortunately not being near a service center it took them several weeks to schedule a mobile visit. They performed a coolant flush but determined they needed to replace a part. It's been a couple of weeks and unfortunately the tech stated that they haven't received the part yet. I've been lucky with it thus far but my main concern is whether it will cause any other damage. Hope to get it resolved soon because I otherwise love this vehicle and had no issues until this occured.

My DE is my daily driver. Has it been in the shop? Sure, and they give me a loaner. But I pick it daily and would not want to drive anything else on the market right now.

And it’s an exceptional road tripper.

I want to agree and generally do.

However, I'm getting less confident in putting the car on the road. I just got the DocuSign documents on the coolant repair, and I noticed that the work order also included replacement of the driver door handle mechanism. I called to see if they had gotten my work order confused with another and was told that the handle failed while it was at the Service Center.

So in the past few weeks we've had the camera system fail, the driver windshield visor fall off, the high rear brake light panel detach, the battery coolant leak, and the door handle fail.

I'm not sure we should take this car on our trip to Alabama next month, as there are no Lucid service facilities along the route.

However, I'm getting less confident in putting the car on the road. I just got the DocuSign documents on the coolant repair, and I noticed that the work order also included replacement of the driver door handle mechanism. I called to see if they had gotten my work order confused with another and was told that the handle failed while it was at the Service Center.

So in the past few weeks we've had the camera system fail, the driver windshield visor fall off, the high rear brake light panel detach, the battery coolant leak, and the door handle failure.

I'm not sure we should take this car on our trip to Alabama next month, as there are no Lucid service facilities along the route.
At this rate, you’re going to have a whole new car in a few months.

I don’t think anyone would blame you, given your luck, for not trusting the car at this point. I do hope all these fixes will be the end of your long nightmare of issues, though. My Touring has been mostly trouble-free, so I have to believe they are improving with the latest fixes.

So in the past few weeks we've had the camera system fail, the driver windshield visor fall off, the high rear brake light panel detach, the battery coolant leak, and the door handle fail.

The list of things that have occurred on mine since I received it:

1) HV Battery / Wunderbox replacement - was fast, easy, and they had a rental waiting for me at drop-off (this is pre-loaners)

2) Left and middle screens died about half the time (CCC replaced, and this only started after my accident)

3) Highway Assist didn’t work (ACU replaced, and this only started after my accident)

4) Standard service bulletins (seat homing, etc.)

Everything else has just been random trim here and there, and got replaced quickly.

That’s why I trust it without issue. It has only *failed* me once. The left and middle screens dying, and HA not working, was annoying, but I don’t know how much of that to attribute to the accident since it was perfect beforehand.

At this rate, you’re going to have a whole new car in a few months.

I don’t think anyone would blame you, given your luck, for not trusting the car at this point. I do hope all these fixes will be the end of your long nightmare of issues, though. My Touring has been mostly trouble-free, so I have to believe they are improving with the latest fixes.

I've been watching this forum closely as well as press and internet reviews of more recent builds, and it really does seem that a lot of this has to do with both our cars being early production units.

Although Lucid is not taking new orders for the GT Performance, they do have some in inventory available for sale. I've thought about approaching Lucid for some kind of trade arrangement as I think I'm clearly in lemon law territory now . . . but then I'd have to eat the $20,000 of sunk costs I've recently put into a full wrap and a radar/laser installation.

So I really don't know what to do at this point, as I've lost confidence in using this car for road tripping. I'm beginning to wonder about our plans to reserve a Gravity at first opportunity. While I assume a lot of the drive train components will be carryovers from the Air and thus beyond new production growing pains, there are going to be a lot of new things on it, and my guinea pig days are nearing an end.

Back