Coolant Leak and Other Issues (DE)

...How can something this minor, a fluid leak, not be addressed and prevented in production after millions of miles of testing? And, how does a "small" fluid leak that I could not even detect result is a full MCU replacement?...
A small manufacturing defect in housing sealant application, or a tiny void or crack in a metal part related to cooling the high-power switch that operates your motor or other heat-generating parts of the Wunderbox, could cause this. It could, and does, happen in any car if enough are built. Depending on the exact nature of the problem, it could be cheaper (and a more certain fix) to replace the MCU rather than to try to rework it.

Where in TN are you from? I grew up in Chattanooga. I think with the service issues they’re doing the best they can to recognize and remedy problems from earlier builds, part of which has been due to supplier issues, etc, or installation problems they’ve since remedied, and is why they have MANY technical service bulletins and take care of them quickly. I’ve had HV battery, WunderBox, charging cable, rear motor coolant pump, Lin Bus, Frunk latches, and numerous trim pieces replaced. I’ve barely noticed any inconvenience, and luckily at least from what I’ve heard once these fixes are implemented the owners don’t experience a second failure.

I'm In Nashville. There are not many Lucids in the area, so the Mobile Tech that lives in the local area seems to have a very big territory to cover,
I'm glad to hear that owners with more miles are not experiencing any repeat problems. I wonder if there are any owners that have already exceeded 50,000, 75,000 or even 100,000 miles and what issues they are having now, if any?

A small manufacturing defect in housing sealant application, or a tiny void or crack in a metal part related to cooling the high-power switch that operates your motor or other heat-generating parts of the Wunderbox, could cause this. It could, and does, happen in any car if enough are built. Depending on the exact nature of the problem, it could be cheaper (and a more certain fix) to replace the MCU rather than to try to rework it.
Thanks for the explanation. My SA referred to my car as an "early build". My vin is 5670 but probably doesn't relate to the actual number of car off the line. I guess it will take a few 1000 more deliveries to get past the "early build" phase.

I'm tagging on to this thread becasue it mentions coolant leaks. I am really sorry to hear about all the issues you had. My story isn't near as frustrating. My Air GT was delivered 12/4/22. I haven't driven it a lot because there were several minor issues noted at delivery that I wanted to get addressed. Mainly scratches that required replacing trim where cameras were located and needed to be done in a Service Center so the cameras could be re-calibrated. But time dragged on because the local Body Shop in Middle Tennessee were Lucid was leasing Service Space got bought out and the new owners dropped the sharing agreement. Lucid kept promising they were working on another local service center, so I waited patiently. Finally in September, with only 2114 miles, I agreed to have the car trailered to Coldwater, MI. It seemed like overkill to me, since there were no mechanical or electronic failures. Just the "We Owe" items from delivery. Two days after they received the car they said their routine inspection revealed a "small" coolant leak. I park the car in the garage and the floor was spotless. The SA said it was confined to the undercarriage. They replaced the entire Front Drive Motor Control Unit. I really wasn't expecting that for a new car with only 2114 miles. I'm thankful they found the issue and I didn't have any breakdowns because of it. I'm also thankful that it was covered under warranty since I am sure it was a very expensive repair. But I am very nervous now. How can something this minor, a fluid leak, not be addressed and prevented in production after millions of miles of testing? And, how does a "small" fluid leak that I could not even detect result is a full MCU replacement? I love, love, love the GT. I plan to drive it to my funeral! But I don't want to spend my retirement savings keeping it running.
Not every single motor is tested for a million miles. They test the design over multiple test units and they produce based off that design. I'm sure there are millions of examples other other products with millions of units produced that still end up with a flaw in the production process.

Not every single motor is tested for a million miles. They test the design over multiple test units and they produce based off that design. I'm sure there are millions of examples other other products with millions of units produced that still end up with a flaw in the production process.
A wise man once told me "Anything built on an assembly line could be a dud." That's just the nature of mass producing anything.

Back