Low coolant warning

acronce

Cars
Grand Touring
I started seeing a Low Coolant Warning within the first few days of ownership. The first time was after returning from a road trip (we went to an event about 100 miles away the day after I picked the car up). After getting back I was heading to an EV charge site with a pretty low SOC (10%?) and was preconditioning. Boom, warning!

Since then I've seen the warning a number of times. On some occasions it was after a battery stress (like right after a launch). Sometimes it would just happen with normal driving (or as normal as I can manage with the temptation of 819 horsepower).

Talked with a very helpful tech through out this. We tried a firmware update first, on the chance that it was a false positive sensor reading. Also they asked if I ever saw any evidence of orange leakage (I had not). After exhausting the possibilities, we scheduled a service.

Originally the service was going to be at Millbrae (I'm in the SF bay area). But the service center was so busy (hopefully with record deliveries!) that they sent a tech to the house instead. The tech (and an apprentice) showed up today. And not just in some crappy panel van. They came in a nice red GT! For a few hours today I had two Lucids in my driveway!

They did the coolant top off and diagnostics (including a preconditioning, then re-measuring the coolant for possible loss). The tech indicated that he'd been through exactly this same procedure with another customer and the problem went away after the top off. Sometimes a low coolant warning just means that the coolant was low...

Both techs were savvy, personable, and very nice. The house call (instead of a long drive to Millbrae) was very welcome.

Overall, I'm very happy with the experience. Time will tell, but I'm pretty confident that the issue has been nailed. If not, I'll re-engage with Lucid (and post an update here).

I started seeing a Low Coolant Warning within the first few days of ownership. The first time was after returning from a road trip (we went to an event about 100 miles away the day after I picked the car up). After getting back I was heading to an EV charge site with a pretty low SOC (10%?) and was preconditioning. Boom, warning!

Sometimes a low coolant warning just means that the coolant was low...
which begs the question, WHY was the coolant level so low?

was it delivered with a low level? or is something else going on?

in all my years of owning cars I have never seen any sort of low coolant issues

Since there's been no evidence of a leak, and since the techs testing showed that the coolant level held after increasing it and doing further testing, I have to assume that the car was delivered this way. Maybe that would indicate a process problem?

They did rush the delivery to make it happen on my time schedule. Perhaps a coolant level check step was missed?

Anyway, here's hoping it's gone from a sporadic warning to completely gone.

Back