• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Coolant Leak and Other Issues (DE)

Sorry to hear this. I know you love your ADE. This EV is just so damn good, but I wouldn’t recommend to anyone as the only car. Have ICE or another EV as back up just in case.

Please keep us posted of follow up diagnosis.
Are you saying this specifically about the Dream Edition ? I have a Touring that is my daily driver and I don't feel this way. I have no back up and don't feel that I need one. I know the DE's were the first off the assembly line and many parts have been upgraded since and there have been great strides made in QC so perhaps you are talking about DE only?

Damn, sounds like the coolant hose thing which should have been a TSB...

But what about the nav/music issues with which this cascade of problems began? At first, I thought it might have been a software bug introduced with the 2.1.10 update the Service Center did before returning the car. But now I'm wondering . . . .

Did you say you had 2 Dream Edition cars? If so, did both have this service history?

Yep. We had DE No. 154 which was totaled in an accident when someone turned left in front of us. We replaced it with DE No. 395. The first car had quite a few service issues, but they were either relatively minor cosmetic issues (such as weatherstripping detachment), the tow hook recall, and lots of computer issues. -- both hardware and software. But by the time the car was wrecked, things were pretty well in hand, especially with the introduction of UX 2.0.

I perhaps took Rawlinson's claims too seriously that the repeated early production delays would ensure world-class quality but, having been a lifelong early adopter of new car models, I was not too surprised with what I encountered. In fact, I had had considerably more problems with next-generation Corvettes, Jaguars, Mercedes SL's, an Audi S6, and even a Honda Odyssey.

Throughout -- and even today -- I have remained impressed by Lucid's response to these issues. During dinner tonight I got a call from Lucid's Regional Sales Manager who gave me his direct number in case I needed any intervention. I didn't ask how he heard about the situation, but he was intent on understanding what was going on.

I'm still a huge fan on what Lucid is doing. It's just that right now, especially after yet another multi-week stint at a Service Center, I'm right back in the soup less than 24 hours laters. It's just getting a little exhausting.

Are you saying this specifically about the Dream Edition ? I have a Touring that is my daily driver and I don't feel this way. I have no back up and don't feel that I need one. I know the DE's were the first off the assembly line and many parts have been upgraded since and there have been great strides made in QC so perhaps you are talking about DE only?

Perhaps I’m over-reacting. My AGT is mostly my daily driver too. But knowing sometimes, when one might get to stuck in Service Center, or certain region/states may not have charging infrastructure, it’s best to have plan B, which is extra car as back up. I’m fortunate never have to have Service Center keep my car more than a week, only had 12V check up. Houston Service Center does impeccable job in my personal experience. I intend to keep my AGT as long as I can.

I’d recommend looking for a lemon lawyer, as it’s usually free and paid for by the automaker per state laws (in most states).

I can’t remember which state you are in anymore, but if you are in CA I can recommend the one I’m using, he has been great.

I'm in Florida, but I'm not at the lemon law stage yet. For one thing, I spent almost $20,000 just three months ago on a radar installation and full wrap on this car (on top of the $13,000 I spent on a radar installation and ceramic coating on the prior Dream Edition).

And I've spent the afternoon looking into alternative EVs, including the coming BMW M-version of the i7. But, honestly, I just can't find anything that has the panache of the Air in terms of style, ratio of interior to exterior size, and power. On the problem-free days, I am still in love with this car.

But what about the nav/music issues with which this cascade of problems began?
The Nav/Music issue is a known bug reported by several owners including me. The rest of the issues are real problems and I am hoping the Lucid takes good care of you.

Sorry to hear this. I know you love your ADE. This EV is just so damn good, but I wouldn’t recommend to anyone as the only car. Have ICE or another EV as back up just in case.
So true.
My car was at SC for 1 whole week because of an update error.
Have been on hold for the last week for Lucid to decide what to do with my nav, which cannot figure out where it is, spinning around continuously, or showing that I'm driving between houses, miles away from where the car actually is.
Good thing I'm not planning a road trip any time soon.
Incidentally, I got a DM via the forum from someone claiming to be from Lucid and asked me for details of the problem. This person does not have the Lucid official tag but gave me his Lucid's email address.
I think he's probably legit and he only wanted my name, time and date when this happened, so I gave him the info.

Perhaps I’m over-reacting. My AGT is mostly my daily driver too. But knowing sometimes, when one might get to stuck in Service Center, or certain region/states may not have charging infrastructure, it’s best to have plan B, which is extra car as back up. I’m fortunate never have to have Service Center keep my car more than a week, only had 12V check up. Houston Service Center does impeccable job in my personal experience. I intend to keep my AGT as long as I can.
I see what you mean. I have been fortunate with my Touring. I have had 3 remote service calls since December, windshield wiper tightening, placement of foam blocks in the air ducts in the hood due to a fluttering sound and replacement of the drivers side door handle. Nothing major in 7k miles knock on wood. I do know that LUCID upgrades parts as production goes along so hopefully the cars have become more and more reliable.

Concerning charging you are 100% correct that there are areas that I cannot drive my Air due to lack of charging infrastructure. I can go everywhere I need fortunately and I am not a road tripper by hobby, I prefer to fly for longer distances. Each individuals needs are different of course.

I hope your AGT continues to function smoothly and that the infrastructure for charging / improves and grows!

So true.
My car was at SC for 1 whole week because of an update error.
Have been on hold for the last week for Lucid to decide what to do with my nav, which cannot figure out where it is, spinning around continuously, or showing that I'm driving between houses, miles away from where the car actually is.
Good thing I'm not planning a road trip any time soon.
Incidentally, I got a DM via the forum from someone claiming to be from Lucid and asked me for details of the problem. This person does not have the Lucid official tag but gave me his Lucid's email address.
I think he's probably legit and he only wanted my name, time and date when this happened, so I gave him the info.
Usually the solution to this problem is to reset the navigation control module by disconnecting and reconnecting a cable under the seat, which mobile service can do. It happened to me once. Don't attempt to do it on your own as it looked to me there was 3-5 substantial cables under there and I wouldn't want to unplug the wrong one. Perhaps yours is a different issue related to the OTA fail, but mine was an easy fix. FWIW Lucid does have staff that monitor this forum as it's a useful resource for them to identify and solve problems as well as communicate feature requests which have subsequently turned into OTA.

But what about the nav/music issues with which this cascade of problems began? At first, I thought it might have been a software bug introduced with the 2.1.10 update the Service Center did before returning the car. But now I'm wondering . . . .
The more I'm thinking about it the more I'd be surprised if it was the coolant hose as that was a technical service bulletin and they would have confirmed your car had them implemented, maybe the coolant warning was related to another problem, as there's multiple types of coolant for the car (HVAC, battery, drive motor). It's hard to tell, but I'm curious as to the solution. You've been very reasonable during your travails and I hope this is the very last speed bump for you, it's certainly been a headache and you've had more issues than most.

It's funny for alternate sedan EVs, Lucid has no peers aside from Tesla having the vastly superior charging infrastructure and some clever tech software features, as you know. Even @OutofSpecDave decided that was the case after comparing the Taycan, Model S Plaid and the Lucid. i7 is an ugly boat, anti-minimalist interior and I'm sure it's great car bur is the wrong car for me, EQS is a bland blob on the outside and garish Jay Z video inside and also probably a great car but also the wrong car for me. I've been in a Genesis G80 rental for a week on a trip, which is basically the same car as the GV80, and it grows more irritating every time I get into it so I doubt the EV version would be much better in spite of Motor Trend ranking it very high. The Lucid just checks all the boxes for me. As long as I end up with a loaner and minimal inconvenience my car can live in the shop for half the year as I just don't want to drive anything else haha. I will say I ended up liking the Volvo XC40 recharge so much I just got my wife one as her daily driver, and she didn't like any car that wasn't her Subaru but tolerated the XC40 recharge the most, but that isn't in the same echelon as Lucid.

The GV80 is their mid size SUV. I assume you mean the eG80, which is what good old Barry got instead of the Air?
Oh yeah EVG80 or EG80 or whatever they call it. I see that car is leasing for more $ than a Lucid Pure, crazy, the Pure is much better, like the Genesis beats it in zero metrics. Hyundai has excellent one pedal driving/regen control so maybe that’s the one category the eG80 might be better but thats crazy, the car has less range less cabin space less storage less comfortable, worse sound system worse navigation less power, worse handling (maybe the electric version handles better but the gas version is nothing special). 🤷‍♂️

i7 is an ugly boat, anti-minimalist interior and I'm sure it's great car bur is the wrong car for me, EQS is a bland blob on the outside and garish Jay Z video inside and also probably a great car but also the wrong car for me.

In my internet exploration of alternatives yesterday, I got a bit more interested in the i7 when I saw that an M version is pending with a 3.5 second 0-60 time (no range rating yet). But that huge ICE-like hood and the multi-color upholstery were real downers. (It made me think again about just how sophisticated Lucid's execution of a dual-color interior theme is.). Then I came across a Doug DeMuro review of the i7, and the quirks of the interior were just too much to take.

As for the EQS, even getting beyond its humpty-dumpty exterior, I think if falls well short of being. a great car. Reviewers have noted it doesn't have the rear headroom for adults (and we haul a lot of adults in our Lucid backseat), and several reviewers have commented on its ungainly handling. "Throttle House" went so far as to declare it downright dangerous in emergency maneuvers.

And then there's the fact that the big German EV sedans are so clumsily packaged that none of them have frunks.

I'm really feeling in a bind here. The Air's style, power, dynamics, and room have so enthralled me that everything else currently on or near entering the market falls short. Yet I've now got another reason besides the EA mess to fear putting the car on the road for a long trip -- something we were planning again for next month.

Usually the solution to this problem is to reset the navigation control module by disconnecting and reconnecting a cable under the seat, which mobile service can do. It happened to me once. Don't attempt to do it on your own as it looked to me there was 3-5 substantial cables under there and I wouldn't want to unplug the wrong one. Perhaps yours is a different issue related to the OTA fail, but mine was an easy fix. FWIW Lucid does have staff that monitor this forum as it's a useful resource for them to identify and solve problems as well as communicate feature requests which have subsequently turned into OTA.
I hope it's a simple fix like your car.
As of now, 10 days after my reporting to the local SC with photos and communicating with a forum monitor from Lucid, SC hasn't wanted the car yet until they know "what the plan is" to fix it.
I assume that SC is discussing with someone.

In my internet exploration of alternatives yesterday, I got a bit more interested in the i7 when I saw that an M version is pending with a 3.5 second 0-60 time (no range rating yet). But that huge ICE-like hood and the multi-color upholstery were real downers. (It made me think again about just how sophisticated Lucid's execution of a dual-color interior theme is.). Then I came across a Doug DeMuro review of the i7, and the quirks of the interior were just too much to take.

As for the EQS, even getting beyond its humpty-dumpty exterior, I think if falls well short of being. a great car. Reviewers have noted it doesn't have the rear headroom for adults (and we haul a lot of adults in our Lucid backseat), and several reviewers have commented on its ungainly handling. "Throttle House" went so far as to declare it downright dangerous in emergency maneuvers.

And then there's the fact that the big German EV sedans are so clumsily packaged that none of them have frunks.

I'm really feeling in a bind here. The Air's style, power, dynamics, and room have so enthralled me that everything else currently on or near entering the market falls short. Yet I've now got another reason besides the EA mess to fear putting the car on the road for a long trip -- something we were planning again for next month.
You can get thw i7 in uni color upholstery if desired.

Not to turn this into an i7 thread, BMW also has the Ind Manufaktur where you can customize ANY aspect of your car, short of ones that impede on safety, in fact the very same people who do rolls royces work on it(BMW owns RR). If you wanted to, you could even request that the front passenger seat to be turned into a dog seat complete with automated feeding. (what im implying is, you could ask individual to make the two tone interior)

Just wanted to point out that literally no spacious sedan right now short of the lucid will have the cornering thrill you seek for. That is what makes this scenario even more tragic for me, since now you seem to have found the perfect car.

Found these spots on the garage floor where I parked the Lucid:

IMG_1845.jpg

Looks very, very familiar. And I don't mean I have the same epoxy floor, mine has less fleck. Looks like a coolant leak. I had much, much more volume, but I think most of my fluid was dumped in the garage as my drives at that time were quite short, grocery store runs. I did not get to the point of having to replace the drive unit. I think I caught it early enough. You look to have been dumping more fluid and driving more with low coolant though.

I wish you luck and hope the coolant leak is the limit of these issues, but, like you, I am not sure how that would impact software.

Looks very, very familiar. And I don't mean I have the same epoxy floor, mine has less fleck. Looks like a coolant leak. I had much, much more volume, but I think most of my fluid was dumped in the garage as my drives at that time were quite short, grocery store runs. I did not get to the point of having to replace the drive unit. I think I caught it early enough. You look to have been dumping more fluid and driving more with low coolant though.

I wish you luck and hope the coolant leak is the limit of these issues, but, like you, I am not sure how that would impact software.

The errand I was running yesterday was an 80-mile round trip of mostly high-speed interstate driving. As I never made it back home, this fluid must have been on the floor before I left. The leak was probably already affecting the car on the trip out, as I noticed first the abnormally high charge percentage drop on the way up, and the yellow triangle warning appeared near the end of that drive. As Lucid Customer Service told me the warning triangle -- which gave no information about the reason for the warning -- probably did not indicate a serious problem and that the car could be driven safely, I made the return trip driving normally (i. e., at 80-85 mph on the interstate) and made it to within four miles of our house.

I'm concerned now about the health of the battery pack, even if it stayed within nominal temperature range up until the "low coolant" warning finally came up. I really don't know what the purpose of a "low coolant" warning is if it doesn't come up until the point at which the car is already being sent into power limiting mode. This car was losing coolant long before any warning displayed indicating that cooling was the issue. A generic yellow triangle is virtually useless. Even though it caused me to call Customer Service, they told me it was safe to drive the car until they could schedule a Mobile Tech in the next couple of days to run a diagnostic.

The errand I was running yesterday was an 80-mile round trip of mostly high-speed interstate driving. As I never made it back home, this fluid must have been on the floor before I left. The leak was probably already affecting the car on the trip out, as I noticed first the abnormally high charge percentage drop on the way up, and the yellow triangle warning appeared near the end of that drive. As Lucid Customer Service told me the warning triangle -- which gave no information about the reason for the warning -- probably did not indicate a serious problem and that the car could be driven safely, I made the return trip driving normally (i. e., at 80-85 mph on the interstate) and made it to within four miles of our house.

I'm concerned now about the health of the battery pack, even if it stayed within nominal temperature range up until the "low coolant" warning finally came up. I really don't know what the purpose of a "low coolant" warning is if it doesn't come up until the point at which the car is already being sent into power limiting mode. This car was losing coolant long before any warning displayed indicating that cooling was the issue. A generic yellow triangle is virtually useless. Even though it caused me to call Customer Service, they told me it was safe to drive the car until they could schedule a Mobile Tech in the next couple of days to run a diagnostic.
When you drove the car, what was the temperature? Was there any driving you could call "spirited," in that it would make the battery pack heat up?

Back