Comments = 2 hrs 35 min to charge 158 miles & 0.85 kW/driven mile vs. 0.28 standard

chipcaldwell

Cars
Grand Touring
First, I want to thank all who have commented on my continuing problems. I now have more data & would be interested in your thoughts. Note: I have a GT w/ 21" wheels & live in FL @ avg temp 70 degrees. SO --
* Problem 1: In charging 158 miles, 1.01 miles per minute on Level 3 Fast Charger vs Lucid website 17 (States "200 miles in 12 minutes). It took 2 hrs, 35 minutes vs. should have only taken 9.3 minutes using Lucid's "200 miles in 12 minutes" standard. Thoughts?
* Problem 2: Over 1000 miles driven, avg energy consumed = 0.85 kW per mile vs. published benchmark 0.28 kW per mile. Or, if you prefer, 1.1 miles per kW vs 3.6 miles per kW expected. Someone on this thread posted an expected 4.0.

Thoughts? What should I do?

Average1581571.01
Expected Miles Charge per Min17.0
Expected Min to Charge 158 miles9.3

Should be =3.6Should be =0.28
Difference =2.2Difference =0.57
Error % =61%Error % =204%

References.
1. https://www.lucidmotors.com/air-grand-touring. Accessed 1.17.23
2. Lucid Air Charging Cost & Time [kWh/Mile, Capacity & More] (ecocostsavings.com) https://ecocostsavings.com/lucid-ai...n wheels uses the least amount of electricity. Accessed 1.17.23

For starters, on the fast charging (problem 1) what was your starting battery and ending battery percentages and was the battery preconditioned? Of course the problematic EA chargers are typically at fault for a low L3 charging speed.

It was charging on a Level 3 Fast Charger at FL Lucid Service Center. Started at 201 mile range & charged 158 miles over 2 hr 35 minutes.

For problem 2, can you post a pic of your trip efficiency from the dashboard, assuming you have not reset it over the 1000 miles? It would be helpful to see the total number of kW consumed while driving and the number of miles you drove from it. The pic I am asking for would be like this:

Attachments

• E6EB8652-1E45-42C4-818E-1152E6493B65.jpeg
    E6EB8652-1E45-42C4-818E-1152E6493B65.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Problem 1: In charging 158 miles, 1.01 miles per minute on Level 3 Fast Charger vs Lucid website 17 (States "200 miles in 12 minutes). It took 2 hrs, 35 minutes vs. should have only taken 9.3 minutes using Lucid's "200 miles in 12 minutes" standard. Thoughts?
What were the starting and ending charge percentages?

What was the station’s stated power (aka 150kW, 350kW, etc.) and what were you actually receiving in the car and what did the charger say for actual charge rate? Which charge network?

Please list this in kW, not mi/minute or mi/hr - the latter units are greatly affected by many things, but the former units should be consistent.

Did you precondition?

Problem 2: Over 1000 miles driven, avg energy consumed = 0.85 kW per mile vs. published benchmark 0.28 kW per mile. Or, if you prefer, 1.1 miles per kW vs 3.6 miles per kW expected. Someone on this thread posted an expected 4.0.
1.1 is pretty abysmal; what mode are you driving it in? Are you driving it fairly aggressively? (No judgment, promise - just trying to help)

I’ve only ever seen it that low when I’m *gunning* it in sprint mode.

Also, miles / kWh is the consistent unit we use to discuss this - what does your trip meter say in the settings? Can you take a picture of it?

It was charging on a Level 3 Fast Charger at FL Lucid Service Center. Started at 201 mile range & charged 158 miles over 2 hr 35 minutes.
If it was at the Lucid service center, what did Lucid say? I didn’t know they had a fast charger there. I thought they were Level 2 chargers at the service centers. Your charging speed would make perfect sense on a Lucid L2 Charger.

If it was at the Lucid service center, what did Lucid say? I didn’t know they had a fast charger there. I thought they were Level 2 chargers at the service centers. Your charging speed would make perfect sense on a Lucid L2 Charger.
Ahhhhh yeah I missed that. Lucid does not, to my knowledge, have any L3 chargers at any service centers. They have L2 chargers that max out at 48A (though maybe they’ve deployed some 80A ones by now) and so your speed would make a lot more sense.

Drive the car down to about 10-20% or so, precondition, and then seek out a 150kW or 350kW Electrify America or EVGo station, and then come back with the data asked for above, and we’ll hopefully be able to tell you if it looks like something is wrong, but you’ll likely know by that point.

If it says “charging limited by station” when you’re at EA, try an EVGo station; EA has apparently had issues recently as reported here and elsewhere.

Did not know the service centers were at 48 amps. Surprised they did not have them installed to run at 80.

Did not know the service centers were at 48 amps. Surprised they did not have them installed to run at 80.
It depends; most of them have the prior iteration of the Lucid EVSE which (at the time) didn’t do more than 48A. For all I know they’ve upgraded all of them and the electrical work already supported 80; I have no idea.

But either way, still way way way slower than a DC L3 charger.

I think you should study up on basic EV charging. You are grasping at charging issues without understanding the basics. I don't mean this to be offensive because I think this is true for many new EV owners, especially people that do not have a technical background. Once you understand the basics, you will no what to look for and find it easier to communicate your issue to service and to members on this forum.

Here are some links that should help you get started:
Members of this forum really want to help you understand if there is an issue with your car.

I think you should study up on basic EV charging. You are grasping at charging issues without understanding the basics. I don't mean this to be offensive because I think this is true for many new EV owners, especially people that do not have a technical background. Once you understand the basics, you will no what to look for and find it easier to communicate your issue to service and to members on this forum.

Here are some links that should help you get started:
Members of this forum really want to help you understand if there is an issue with your car.
I'd start with Aging Wheel's video first. It moves quickly and is filled with useful information for those getting started with their first EV.

That video by Aging Wheel is great for sure. Definitely a learning curve for everyone that is a first time EV owner, including me!

From the stats being referenced on charging speeds above, it seems like it's more of a Level 2 charger as @borski and @Sandvinsd mentioned above.

Would be great to see a screenshot of your trip meter to see about your efficiency. Even in stop and go city driving, I'm getting north of 3.0 mi/kwh (with the occasional spirited driving 🙂) whereas highway driving on ACC/highway assist, I get north of 4 mi/kwh.

That video by Aging Wheel is great for sure. Definitely a learning curve for everyone that is a first time EV owner, including me!

From the stats being referenced on charging speeds above, it seems like it's more of a Level 2 charger as @borski and @Sandvinsd mentioned above.

Would be great to see a screenshot of your trip meter to see about your efficiency. Even in stop and go city driving, I'm getting north of 3.0 mi/kwh (with the occasional spirited driving 🙂) whereas highway driving on ACC/highway assist, I get north of 4 mi/kwh.
Interesting. On my car I do better on city driving where I get regen. My highway driving is at 75-80. What speed are you normally driving at on the highway?

Interesting. On my car I do better on city driving where I get regen. My highway driving is at 75-80. What speed are you normally driving at on the highway?
Depends on the highway, but anywhere from 65-75 usually, but faster on interstates (with lower efficiency in those cases). Issue for me in city traffic is have to be more nimble/defensive on the road. The other factor that I failed to mention previously is it's rather hilly where I live so it all depends on which direction I happen to be going. And I don't shy away from punching it when I can!

First, I want to thank all who have commented on my continuing problems. I now have more data & would be interested in your thoughts. Note: I have a GT w/ 21" wheels & live in FL @ avg temp 70 degrees. SO --
* Problem 1: In charging 158 miles, 1.01 miles per minute on Level 3 Fast Charger vs Lucid website 17 (States "200 miles in 12 minutes). It took 2 hrs, 35 minutes vs. should have only taken 9.3 minutes using Lucid's "200 miles in 12 minutes" standard. Thoughts?
* Problem 2: Over 1000 miles driven, avg energy consumed = 0.85 kW per mile vs. published benchmark 0.28 kW per mile. Or, if you prefer, 1.1 miles per kW vs 3.6 miles per kW expected. Someone on this thread posted an expected 4.0.

Average1581571.01
Expected Miles Charge per Min17.0
Expected Min to Charge 158 miles9.3

Should be =3.6Should be =0.28
Difference =2.2Difference =0.57
Error % =61%Error % =204%

References.
1. https://www.lucidmotors.com/air-grand-touring. Accessed 1.17.23
2. Lucid Air Charging Cost & Time [kWh/Mile, Capacity & More] (ecocostsavings.com) https://ecocostsavings.com/lucid-air-charging-costs/#:~:text=Lucid Air electric cars use between 0.26 kWh,19in wheels uses the least amount of electricity. Accessed 1.17.23
Yea, you weren’t on an L3 charger. I’m assuming you were at riviera beach? All they have is their L2 charger, like all other lucid stations. And from the google maps view, it’s their first iteration like @borski suggested, so 48A, not 80A. So your charging makes sense.
As far as your 1.1 mi/kw, if that is true (posting of the pilot panel will help immensely) you’re either an F1 driver everywhere you go, or your car has an issue. Granted I’m on 19” wheels, but I’ve NEVER had worse than 3 mi/kw even in the winter right now using heat/seat warmers/steering wheel, and lots of rain. In the summer I had an average of 4.2 mi/kw with many many cycles of 4.5 mi/kw.

I know the Lucid Service Center in Riviera Beach doesn’t have a level 3 charger. They do have a broken Level 2 Lucid charger and typically plug the cars into a 120 outlet which ends up draining battery rather charging..

I’m unaware of any Lucid Service Centers having their own level 3 chargers …

The Scottsdale design studio has five chargers and they are all level 2. When the studio first opened, the manager told me that because the Lucid range was so good, they didn't need fast chargers.

The Scottsdale design studio has five chargers and they are all level 2. When the studio first opened, the manager told me that because the Lucid range was so good, they didn't need fast chargers.3
That makes no sense. Usually the reason is because they don’t have the electrical supply to install level 3s or that they only want Lucid branded chargers and they were at the time not available.

That makes no sense. Usually the reason is because they don’t have the electrical supply to install level 3s or that they only want Lucid branded chargers and they were at the time not available.
Probably the latter. There is plenty of juice at Fashion Square and they are Lucid branded EVSEs.

Back