Lucid Air charging rate on 350 KW fast charger

Hello and welcome to the forum. The charging speeds at EA have been a common topic of discussion. I encourage you to look back at the many posts here on the subject. EA charging speeds are all over the map for many cars. I have watched numerous other vehicles charge at higher rates than my car and also lower rates. Over time, these hiccups will definitely be ironed out. If you are consistently getting good speeds at your local station, this may be a good sign for things to come with your Lucid. No one is quite sure what causes higher speeds on one car versus another. Theoretically, the Lucid will charge faster than anything out there right now. We are all looking forward to the time when reality matches that theory.
Thank you so much. Yes and someone else brought up its miles per minute that truly matter which I agree with.

I will be submitting my application tomorrow for my Touring. Will report back what kind of rates I get locally, maybe I’ll even do a side by side with the EV6

For Air Pure I used the publicly available charging curve and 3.8 miles per kWH I averaged in 2k miles 50% hwy 70mph HA average 60mph and 50% streets 5 over the limit.
On a 350kW charger this is the best I can expect. The fact is I am getting about half the expected speed on 350kW or 150kW in general.
img-lucid-air-dream-edition-range-2022-dcfc-power-20211220.png

View attachment 10537
This are good reference data. Quite interesting to read.

I believe Lucid at higher voltage architecture ought to charge way faster than most other EV. But there are other factors such as Wunderbox and BMS regulating the flow and often fella Lucid owners seeing “Charge is limited by station” message at EA stations. There is definitely some software handshake agreement issue on how EA flow to Lucid making it very inconsistent than other EVs.

With Rivian, I was able to get consistent 180~205 kW speed curve prior to 50% SOC, 145~150 kW speed curve prior to 60% SOC for Polestar2. These are 400 volt EV unlike Lucid 700~900 volt EVs.

The different EV manufacturers are trying different charge curves at different voltage levels and they are also continuing to tweak as they learn more. The EV charging stations also need to adapt. Some automakers are more conservative and some are more aggressive. As EV owners, we will also understand the sweet spot for our cars and learn what works best for us. Another wild card is that no one really knows how long the battery will last and how much it degrades based on the current charge curves. We do know that we should not charge over 80% too often particularly at DC fast chargers. In the long term once the "free" DC fast charging is over, we will all use L2 chargers at 40A 240V and not even 80A 240V and find out that it is not only convenient to charge at home but also less time wasted. All this discussion about how fast we can charge becomes mute.

Personally, I look at my weekly use and decide when to charge and it is not necessarily based on how fast I can charge. For example most recently, I had 67% charge and I was driving past a 150kW EA charger. I pre conditioned the battery, stopped for 15 min and charged up 17kWH while I completed a phione call. Today it is 70% a week later and I plan to do the same. An interesting comparison is waiting in a long line at Costco inching forward and talking about the same time to fill up the tank once in 2 weeks and smelling the exhaust of all the other cars.

Well, this is a different perspective.

An interesting comparison is waiting in a long line at Costco inching forward and talking about the same time to fill up the tank once in 2 weeks and smelling the exhaust of all the other cars.
That's a great point. Costco is where I normally bought gas.

Perhaps this should be the next frontier in EV adoption: automated charging. Put your car in line, get out of the car and go into the store. Car advances by itself. Robot arm plugs into the car's CCS port. After a predetermined charging time, the car parks itself and you get a notification on your phone.

Since this can be constructed to be a highly constrained physical environment with very low vehicle movement speeds, the "self-driving" part is relatively straightforward. The store will have a steady supply of customers. ICE vehicles can't occupy EV charging spaces. Drivers will know at the start how long EV charging will take. Site operators don't need to install as many chargers, limiting costs. If the driver doesn't return to their charged EV quickly, idle fees still apply.

They literally thought I was someone else. That charging session is not showing up in my charging history. That's a little unsettling. Tiffany must be pissed!
Interesting.

I just noticed that I didn't get any charging summaries from my inaugural trip from Tyson's in my Touring. I didn't see what it said on the screen.

They literally thought I was someone else. That charging session is not showing up in my charging history. That's a little unsettling. Tiffany must be pissed!
Did it show a price while charging? If so, you might want to contact EA to get Tiffany off the hook.

Interesting.

I just noticed that I didn't get any charging summaries from my inaugural trip from Tyson's in my Touring. I didn't see what it said on the screen.

So...I was looking at the Lucid app, and there's a "Lucid Charging Plan" under the menu.

If you go there, it has a "Email Receipt" option that is not turned on. I don't know how/why EA would recognize that option, but it might be the reason.

Interesting.

A summary of each session is stored in the app.

A summary of each session is stored in the app.

I saw that, too.

EA email summaries will tell you the max kW pulled, which is not in the app summary.

I picked up my Touring model on Feb. 25th in Denver and drove home to Wichita that afternoon. I love the car, and so far the only issues I have had are charging related, all at EA stations. 3 stops on the way home, with issues at each stop, with multiple plug in/unplug/ plug in "charging error" notifications. Several times I could not unplug after these errors with a red light at the charge port. Ended up contacting Lucid support which then contacted EA support to resolve my issues.

Other charging issues I have are the slow charge rates, all at EA 350 kWh stations and usually I was the only car charging. I haven't charged until preconditioned and SOC is near 20%. My fastest ever charge is 164 kWh, but usually closer to 90-120 kWh. I also made a road trip to Ft. Worth 2 weeks ago and experienced the same issues at EA stations on that route as well. The slow charges turned a 5.5 hour ICE drive into a 7+ hour EV drive, which really sucks if it won't charge at the advertised speed.

Interesting.

Open the app on the phone
Lucid charging plan -> Charging History

I picked up my Touring model on Feb. 25th in Denver and drove home to Wichita that afternoon. I love the car, and so far the only issues I have had are charging related, all at EA stations. 3 stops on the way home, with issues at each stop, with multiple plug in/unplug/ plug in "charging error" notifications. Several times I could not unplug after these errors with a red light at the charge port. Ended up contacting Lucid support which then contacted EA support to resolve my issues.

Other charging issues I have are the slow charge rates, all at EA 350 kWh stations and usually I was the only car charging. I haven't charged until preconditioned and SOC is near 20%. My fastest ever charge is 164 kWh, but usually closer to 90-120 kWh. I also made a road trip to Ft. Worth 2 weeks ago and experienced the same issues at EA stations on that route as well. The slow charges turned a 5.5 hour ICE drive into a 7+ hour EV drive, which really sucks if it won't charge at the advertised speed.
I’m not making an excuse here, but this really is an emerging technology. Things will get better. I was reading an interesting article about gas stations when ICE cars started to become popular. They say it took 50 years to have as much gas station infrastructure in place as the current EV infrastructure in less than 5 years.

Are you up to date with 2.0.56?

Back