Lucid Air charging rate on 350 KW fast charger

I was getting spoiled by routinely seeing 150+ on the 150 chargers. I did once get over 230 on a 350 charger. Now however, things aren't as happy… I feel fortunate if I can get 80 on any charger. I'd like to lay the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of EA, but frankly, I am not convinced that Lucid software plays no role. I have recently charged at chargers where other vehicles (MB, Kia, Hyundai) were getting much higher speeds than my car can get. This worries me that EA is not solely to blame.
Could it be economics, the Lucid 3 year or 2 year charging deal is at a lower price point, and other cars maybe higher, so some kind of prioritization algorithm works when multiple cars are charging at the same time in the same few stations to share power.

Could it be economics, the Lucid 3 year or 2 year charging deal is at a lower price point, and other cars maybe higher, so some kind of prioritization algorithm works when multiple cars are charging at the same time in the same few stations to share power.
I don't believe for a second EA has built anything that sophisticated into their software. I think it's far more likely just glitchy communication between Lucid and EA.

This is on a 350 after preconditioning starting at about 30%. Dropped to 123 almost immediately
20230313_145045.jpg

This is on a 350 after preconditioning starting at about 30%. Dropped to 123 almost immediately View attachment 10526
And when I finished, I got 300+ in 53 minutes. Was very slow at the end as expected. But the EA charger said 'Thanks, Tiffany' on the screen when I unplugged. I thought that was a nice touch. I mean it would have been nicer if my name was Tiffany. But it's a start!

For Air Pure I used the publicly available charging curve and 3.8 miles per kWH I averaged in 2k miles 50% hwy 70mph HA average 60mph and 50% streets 5 over the limit.
On a 350kW charger this is the best I can expect. The fact is I am getting about half the expected speed on 350kW or 150kW in general.
img-lucid-air-dream-edition-range-2022-dcfc-power-20211220.png

1678752119614.png

And when I finished, I got 300+ in 53 minutes. Was very slow at the end as expected. But the EA charger said 'Thanks, Tiffany' on the screen when I unplugged. I thought that was a nice touch. I mean it would have been nicer if my name was Tiffany. But it's a start!
They literally thought I was someone else. That charging session is not showing up in my charging history. That's a little unsettling. Tiffany must be pissed!

You know how gasoline companies change their blends depending upon season? You’re getting the winter blend of electricity, it’s thicker and doesn’t flow as well as the summer blend. ;)
:)

Hello all. I have to say this thread has really disheartened me about completing my order for my Lucid Air touring. The advertised charge rate was the #1 reason I’m getting this car.

A bit about me I’m an EV enthusiast. I had a Nissan leaf in 2015, BMW i3 in 2018 now own a Kia EV6. I road trip a lot between Austin TX and Florida as I own a vacation home in FL.

My Kia EV6 has been awesome, and I never duly appreciated until now. I regularly get 230kWH at EA (can’t remember last time I didn’t) and continue to get 110kWh even at 85%. I asked about this on another thread and a moderator arrogantly told me my numbers “can’t be true”. I’m attaching some photos of my Kia. Also, fwiw I already splurged and bought a lucid home charger in anticipation of my new car :(

I’m hoping someone.. anyone.. here can tell me what I want to hear which is that Lucid is ahead of the EV tech pack. If they’re not… what am I doing dropping 100k on a car when my 55k kia can do better?

Attachments

• FE2A4DB7-8FF0-41D6-A28C-B841A6CFD821.jpeg
    FE2A4DB7-8FF0-41D6-A28C-B841A6CFD821.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • 7333DBEC-C408-47D0-B626-EB60422ACAB8.jpeg
    7333DBEC-C408-47D0-B626-EB60422ACAB8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 124
  • EF32C2EB-7D89-414C-8E4A-C98A89DEDC08.jpeg
    EF32C2EB-7D89-414C-8E4A-C98A89DEDC08.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Hello all. I have to say this thread has really disheartened me about completing my order for my Lucid Air touring. The advertised charge rate was the #1 reason I’m getting this car.

A bit about me I’m an EV enthusiast. I had a Nissan leaf in 2015, BMW i3 in 2018 now own a Kia EV6. I road trip a lot between Austin TX and Florida as I own a vacation home in FL.

My Kia EV6 has been awesome, and I never duly appreciated until now. I regularly get 230kWH at EA (can’t remember last time I didn’t) and continue to get 110kWh even at 85%. I asked about this on another thread and a moderator arrogantly told me my numbers “can’t be true”. I’m attaching some photos of my Kia. Also, fwiw I already splurged and bought a lucid home charger in anticipation of my new car :(

I’m hoping someone.. anyone.. here can tell me what I want to hear which is that Lucid is ahead of the EV tech pack. If they’re not… what am I doing dropping 100k on a car when my 55k kia can do better?
As an EV enthusiast, I am sure that you know that power is measured in kW and energy is measured in kWhr. Energy is power multiplied by time. The power coming from the charger or going into the battery is measured in kW. The total energy supplied to the car or going into the battery is measured in kWhr. Below is the charging curve from Inside EVs for the Lucid.

1679264310798.png

As a final note, calling other forum members arrogant is against forum guidelines. If this behavior continues, you will be banned from this forum.

I have driven Lucid from coast to coast and frequently road trip. My experience it is rare that I get enough over 175kW from a 350kW EA charger to even care if I am plugged into a 350kW or a 150kW (175kW). I charge to 100% on level 2 before I leave on a road trip. I stop every couple hours at a Level 3 and charge to 80-85%. With the Lucid this typically means by the time I walk to go to the restroom and back, I wait maybe 5-15 minutes and unplug and continue. I am usually going from ~40-80 so there is almost no difference between a 350kW and a 175kW. Even when I am at 20% the time savings from 20%-40% at MAX charging vs 175kW is about 90 seconds. It's the increased range that makes a Lucid better for a road trip. You can charge when other EVs would be single digit state of charge and be at 40% to start. This gives you options because you still have 150 miles+ of range. Lucid is ahead of others. I've talked to people with Model S and Tacans, that would not dream of trying some of the road trips I've done in the Lucid. The beauty of the Lucid is charge to 85% and still have 300 miles of range.

For Air Pure I used the publicly available charging curve and 3.8 miles per kWH I averaged in 2k miles 50% hwy 70mph HA average 60mph and 50% streets 5 over the limit.
On a 350kW charger this is the best I can expect. The fact is I am getting about half the expected speed on 350kW or 150kW in general.
img-lucid-air-dream-edition-range-2022-dcfc-power-20211220.png

View attachment 10537
@HariK , would you happen to have a link to the Touring table data? Or otherwise direct me to where to find this table for Touring? Thanks

Hello all. I have to say this thread has really disheartened me about completing my order for my Lucid Air touring. The advertised charge rate was the #1 reason I’m getting this car...
There have been compatibility issues for several months between Electrify America and Lucid. Lucid is aware of this and is currently working on it. Fundamentally the Air should beat your EV6's charging performance by a healthy margin. I'm eager to see what the next few months of OTA updates bring.

There have been compatibility issues for several months between Electrify America and Lucid. Lucid is aware of this and is currently working on it. Fundamentally the Air should beat your EV6's charging performance by a healthy margin. I'm eager to see what the next few months of OTA updates bring.
I would trade every 350kW EA charger for 7 - 50kW chargers at Starbucks, McDonalds.....

Some competing charging curves for reference:
Charging curves.png

I'm pleased with my charging speeds on my Touring.

IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1155.jpeg

@HariK , would you happen to have a link to the Touring table data? Or otherwise direct me to where to find this table for Touring? Thanks
The battery of touring and Pure AWD are pretty much the same size 415 miles Pure AWD vs 425 miles Touring. So, you can use that table as a decent guide.
I basically de-rated the charging curve using the voltage differebce between Pure and Touring and my observations in driving 2k miles on Pure AWD since Dec 30th.

Ok you’ve answered something I’m wondering. The limitation is likely software not hardware. Which means hypothetically charging efficiency should go up from here?

Ok you’ve answered something I’m wondering. The limitation is likely software not hardware. Which means hypothetically charging efficiency should go up from here?
Hello and welcome to the forum. The charging speeds at EA have been a common topic of discussion. I encourage you to look back at the many posts here on the subject. EA charging speeds are all over the map for many cars. I have watched numerous other vehicles charge at higher rates than my car and also lower rates. Over time, these hiccups will definitely be ironed out. If you are consistently getting good speeds at your local station, this may be a good sign for things to come with your Lucid. No one is quite sure what causes higher speeds on one car versus another. Theoretically, the Lucid will charge faster than anything out there right now. We are all looking forward to the time when reality matches that theory.

Back