Lucid Air charging rate on 350 KW fast charger

Kfederico

Cars
Lucid Air GT, Corvette(s)
On my first trip out of area. I stopped at several different Electrify America and EVGO charging station. Based on published charge rates and charts, expected to see close to 300 when the battery was below 20% and for the rate to start declining as it becomes more fully charged. The fastest charge rate I observed was about 168 KW. I had just gotten my Lucid back after they repaired the charge system. The car had bricked itself completely. Field support came out and opened a panel behind the left rear tire and hooked in and unbricked the car. They then put the car on the 240V charger and watched for a couple minutes, and then left. The car then before they could get a block started throwing messages and the charge indicator went red. The towed the car the next day to a service center. They found partially disconnected wiring in the charge circuit. Anyway, I got my car back and soon departed on a 1500 mile journey. I spent way m ore time at the charging stations than I had anticipated. I had been making mental notes on all the charge rates. Sometimes, I started charging at 40% and sometimes it was under 20%. This was 6 EA stations and 2 different EVGO stations, all at 350KW ratings.

I opened a ticket on my slow charging situation, and the field support forwarded it to the "Battery Team". The battery team made a claim they saw 220 KW/Hour which is well short of what I should have seen. I never saw 220 and had some screen shots of what the station registered and the car registered. Regardless, I ran the car down to 15% and then preconditioned the battery for 23 minutes. At the closest EVGO 350 KW station, with no one else drawing power from the many station / nozzles, I plugged in again. This time I watched very closeley and took screen shots and pictures of the consoles. For a few seconds, I did get almost 220, but it then dropped to 200 and fluctuated down to 180 and back up. By the time I got to 20% it was down to the 180 range and dropping. I stopped the test at 41%. So based on Lucid's claim of 300 Miles in 20 minutes and based of the published charge rates, I am getting about 60-66 % of what is expected. Since Lucid had been refusing service, I sent them all the screen shots. They said they would escalate it and someone from the team would contact me within a couple of days. A week later, I had not heard a peep, so I called them again. Same story, someone will get back to you.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did they fight addressing the issue? Did they finally resolve the issue? If they resolved it, how did they say they resolved it.

Do you precondition the battery before you charge? If you don’t, you will get lower charge speeds..

I've got just over 7500 miles on mine and have only ever charged at EA for all my charging. I've never seen higher than 170ish but have always felt the limitation was from the EA side. Sometimes I'd get the message that it was limited by the station.

I've charged from 10%-90% and every combination between those. I'm hoping with the newest machines EA is starting to install that it will increase.

There's been tests done showing the overall time difference averages out but it definitely takes longer 20-80 for me than "theoretical ideal" but nothing that has caused me to reach out to CS.

I truly feel it's more of an EA issue

I've got just over 7500 miles on mine and have only ever charged at EA for all my charging. I've never seen higher than 170ish but have always felt the limitation was from the EA side. Sometimes I'd get the message that it was limited by the station.

I've charged from 10%-90% and every combination between those. I'm hoping with the newest machines EA is starting to install that it will increase.

There's been tests done showing the overall time difference averages out but it definitely takes longer 20-80 for me than "theoretical ideal" but nothing that has caused me to reach out to CS.

I truly feel it's more of an EA issue
I have had the problem on EA stations as well as EVGo stations.

I should update this to also mention that A Ford Lighting used the exact same EVGO charger after me and got 155 KW per hour charge rate, which is as fast as it is rated. A Rivian get just under 200 KW/hour.

Yes, I was preconditioning.

It would be very unlikely that 8 different charge stations from 2 different companies all failed to deliver the rated charge rate. Lucid would love to blame it on EA, but other car makes are not having the same problem at the same charge point.

On my first trip out of area. I stopped at several different Electrify America and EVGO charging station. Based on published charge rates and charts, expected to see close to 300 when the battery was below 20% and for the rate to start declining as it becomes more fully charged. The fastest charge rate I observed was about 168 KW. I had just gotten my Lucid back after they repaired the charge system. The car had bricked itself completely. Field support came out and opened a panel behind the left rear tire and hooked in and unbricked the car. They then put the car on the 240V charger and watched for a couple minutes, and then left. The car then before they could get a block started throwing messages and the charge indicator went red. The towed the car the next day to a service center. They found partially disconnected wiring in the charge circuit. Anyway, I got my car back and soon departed on a 1500 mile journey. I spent way m ore time at the charging stations than I had anticipated. I had been making mental notes on all the charge rates. Sometimes, I started charging at 40% and sometimes it was under 20%. This was 6 EA stations and 2 different EVGO stations, all at 350KW ratings.

I opened a ticket on my slow charging situation, and the field support forwarded it to the "Battery Team". The battery team made a claim they saw 220 KW/Hour which is well short of what I should have seen. I never saw 220 and had some screen shots of what the station registered and the car registered. Regardless, I ran the car down to 15% and then preconditioned the battery for 23 minutes. At the closest EVGO 350 KW station, with no one else drawing power from the many station / nozzles, I plugged in again. This time I watched very closeley and took screen shots and pictures of the consoles. For a few seconds, I did get almost 220, but it then dropped to 200 and fluctuated down to 180 and back up. By the time I got to 20% it was down to the 180 range and dropping. I stopped the test at 41%. So based on Lucid's claim of 300 Miles in 20 minutes and based of the published charge rates, I am getting about 60-66 % of what is expected. Since Lucid had been refusing service, I sent them all the screen shots. They said they would escalate it and someone from the team would contact me within a couple of days. A week later, I had not heard a peep, so I called them again. Same story, someone will get back to you.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did they fight addressing the issue? Did they finally resolve the issue? If they resolved it, how did they say they resolved it.
In my experience EA is the only network that can deliver speeds close to advertised if it’s one of the newer units. For EVGo I think the best I’ve got is 268kw. EVGo has decided to fight states that require per minute charging rather than per kW and most of their new installs in those states like mine are 100kw.
Here’s a pic of me getting 298kw (it was 301 but had slowed to 298 by the time I took out my phone to take a pic) at the charger near crossgates Mall in Albany NY. Meanwhile I can’t get any charger at my local EA to work on the car, and some other locations charge WAY slower on a preconditioned battery at low SOC%. It’s a total chaos crapshoot and honestly I think the Lucid is too advanced for EA. The same goes for Taycans, there’s a Taycan owner who comes to the 350kw charger near me and he said the best he’s got there was 168kw meanwhile he pulled the full 270kw the car was capable of at the EA in Connecticut.

Attachments

• 9F5145EC-975D-40C1-86E8-130AE75731BF.jpeg
    9F5145EC-975D-40C1-86E8-130AE75731BF.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 221
In my experience EA is the only network that can deliver speeds close to advertised if it’s one of the newer units. For EVGo I think the best I’ve got is 268kw. EVGo has decided to fight states that require per minute charging rather than per kW and most of their new installs in those states like mine are 100kw.
Here’s a pic of me getting 298kw (it was 301 but had slowed to 298 by the time I took out my phone to take a pic) at the charger near crossgates Mall in Albany NY. Meanwhile I can’t get any charger at my local EA to work on the car, and some other locations charge WAY slower on a preconditioned battery at low SOC%. It’s a total chaos crapshoot and honestly I think the Lucid is too advanced for EA. The same goes for Taycans, there’s a Taycan owner who comes to the 350kw charger near me and he said the best he’s got there was 168kw meanwhile he pulled the full 270kw the car was capable of at the EA in Connecticut.
I usually use the new 350kw EA station in Ventura, CA. It has never failed me, but the charge rate has varied greatly. Today I was @ 26% SOC and it maxed @158kw initially. I charged for 20”, and at that point it was down to 105kw Rate.

The highest I’ve gotten with 20% SOC is 223kw, but at the time the panel said the “Charging power limited by station.” I don’t usually precondition because the station is only 2 minutes from my office.

I must say one of the biggest surprises to me (this is my first EV) is how "random" the charging speeds are, even at the newest EA stations. I have had faster charging at a 50 kW charger than at a 350 kW charger right next to each other in the same station. We have a lot of other chargers in our area, including ChargePoint and EVGo and I've noticed the same variation at those. I sort of settled and figured maybe its just the way things are if you own an EV. I'm glad folks like you are taking a more scientific approach, trying to understand the hows and whys, and pushing to see improvements.

I must say one of the biggest surprises to me (this is my first EV) is how "random" the charging speeds are, even at the newest EA stations. I have had faster charging at a 50 kW charger than at a 350 kW charger right next to each other in the same station. We have a lot of other chargers in our area, including ChargePoint and EVGo and I've noticed the same variation at those. I sort of settled and figured maybe its just the way things are if you own an EV. I'm glad folks like you are taking a more scientific approach, trying to understand the hows and whys, and pushing to see improvements.
Open a ticket if you never get fast charge rates. If you have seen some stations that charge at close to 300 KW/, it is not likely it is your car. The best I ever saw was 220 KW, but it lasted only seconds and went down to 178-200 KW (At 15% soc and pre-conditioned). I have been to 9 EA and EVGO #%) KW chargers and never obtained a reasonable charge rate. It is embarrassing for a Ford Lightning pulls up into the same space and charges much faster than our fast charging Lucids. Same thing with the Rivian, chrged at almost 200 KW at the same charger. In both cases, they charged at their max charge rate which outperformed me by 20 - 80 KW / Hour.

So, I get that some of us are seeing different charge rates, but I wonder if we are talking apples to apples. Starting with this an EA 30KW./Hour charger... From 0 to 18%, we should be getting close to 300 KW/Hour. It begins falling and by 35% it is down to 250 WH/Hour, by 55% down to 150 KW/hr and so on. So charge rates do very legitable. If I had ever gottten to within 10% of the charge rate on any of the EVGO or EA chargers, I would say, my car is charging properly. Lucid would tell us every EA and EVGO charger is falsely advertising it's charge rate. That would be grounds for a class action suit. I would accept that some chargers may be defective in some way, but I see that some folks have been able to achieve the published charges rate somewhat consistently. I am going from very forgiving of all the service calls, because up till now, Lucid has responded and corrected non-software issues. The fact that Lucid is refusing to address this isse has me regretting my GT purchase. Support was one of my concerns when I bought it, but up till now not an issue. ... Also to repeat, my lucid was in the service center and they discovered assembly issues in my charge circuit. I believe there are still issues and that the kind of charge issues I have had may be more common than we realize and that it is NOT ALWAYS the charger, This is an old chart and I believe that Lucid has supposedly
improved since then.
1666794083539.png

So, I get that some of us are seeing different charge rates, but I wonder if we are talking apples to apples. Starting with this an EA 30KW./Hour charger... From 0 to 18%, we should be getting close to 300 KW/Hour. It begins falling and by 35% it is down to 250 WH/Hour, by 55% down to 150 KW/hr and so on. So charge rates do very legitable. If I had ever gottten to within 10% of the charge rate on any of the EVGO or EA chargers, I would say, my car is charging properly. Lucid would tell us every EA and EVGO charger is falsely advertising it's charge rate. That would be grounds for a class action suit. I would accept that some chargers may be defective in some way, but I see that some folks have been able to achieve the published charges rate somewhat consistently. I am going from very forgiving of all the service calls, because up till now, Lucid has responded and corrected non-software issues. The fact that Lucid is refusing to address this isse has me regretting my GT purchase. Support was one of my concerns when I bought it, but up till now not an issue. ... Also to repeat, my lucid was in the service center and they discovered assembly issues in my charge circuit. I believe there are still issues and that the kind of charge issues I have had may be more common than we realize and that it is NOT ALWAYS the charger, This is an old chart and I believe that Lucid has supposedly
improved since then.
View attachment 5978
I got this speed a week and a half ago.
20221016_151959.jpg

Walmart in Selma,CA only one charging was me. This was on 2.0.5 just for reference.

Keep in mind that the newer EA stations share the transformers across the chargers like Tesla does. I'm not saying this is what is happening to you, but it can limit your speeds.

Keep in mind that the newer EA stations share the transformers across the chargers like Tesla does. I'm not saying this is what is happening to you, but it can limit your speeds.
Agreed, In most cases, I was the only customer, such as in the last case I took pictures and screen shots to try to get Lucid off their bums. After a week of no response, I called them again yesterday. They said their "Battery Team" was looking at it, but made no date or service offer.

Reactions: NPN
In not-quite 6 months of using EA, I've seen initial rates above 300 exactly once, ~220s aren't uncommon, but ~170s are the norm. My rules have become:
  • Always precondition
  • Don't feel bad if I can't grab a 350 because I'm probably not going to get anything close to that
  • Leave when the speed drops below 100

In not-quite 6 months of using EA, I've seen initial rates above 300 exactly once, ~220s aren't uncommon, but ~170s are the norm. My rules have become:
  • Always precondition
  • Don't feel bad if I can't grab a 350 because I'm probably not going to get anything close to that
  • Leave when the speed drops below 100
Have you opened a ticket? You seem to be getting the same issues I am, assuming you are talking about soc @ 15 to 25%.

I have not opened a ticket. I don't have reason to believe there's a problem with the car.
While you are doing better than I am, falling off fast from 300 is a sign of a problem. Your remaining charge sessions are very sub-standard.

Back