Charging Station

A basic question on the 100A installation. I got a quote of ~$7K to run a 100A circuit to the main panel from garage and install the unit. The total distance between is between 90 to 100 ft. Is that normal?
Just for reference, I got 60A installation of 25 ft on a full 200A box using Lucid recommended QMeric. That cost me $2200. I was told the price is higher than in the past as Houston has many installation in their pipeline queue. Anyway, YMMV.

Just for reference, I got 60A installation of 25 ft on a full 200A box using Lucid recommended QMeric. That cost me $2200. I was told the price is higher than in the past as Houston has many installation in their pipeline queue. Anyway, YMMV.
Thanks for the reference. The quote i stated is from one of the Qmerit installers. I am trying to find with other installers to do a cost comparison before i sign up with them. There is no panel upgrade for me as i already have a 400A panel and a 100A sub panel. PG&E has already provisioned for 320A in the main panel. My worry is if i don't go with professional installers they may mess up the Tesla panel and backup gateway setup for Tesla backup battery. So still deciding :)

Thanks for the reference. The quote i stated is from one of the Qmerit installers. I am trying to find with other installers to do a cost comparison before i sign up with them. There is no panel upgrade for me as i already have a 400A panel and a 100A sub panel. PG&E has already provisioned for 320A in the main panel. My worry is if i don't go with professional installers they may mess up the Tesla panel and backup gateway setup for Tesla backup battery. So still deciding :)
Get 2nd opinion and find reputable electrician company with insurance.

I found the Qmerit quote was 2-3x the quote I was getting from other reputable electricians to put in a 240v line

• Angry
Reactions: DJL
Did you max out the breaker and can you show us your average charge speed. The lug situation makes it sound more complex than a ChargePoint installation 😔.

Also, it did come with a mount for the end of the charger correct? I’m guessing you chose not to use it?

Lastly, does the mobile app handle anything with the charger?

A basic question on the 100A installation. I got a quote of ~$7K to run a 100A circuit to the main panel from garage and install the unit. The total distance between is between 90 to 100 ft. Is that normal?
That doesn’t sound quite right, I’ve had a sub panel installed for less than $1k but it was a 40amp panel. The wire costs is what would make a difference here. I’m lucky enough to where my charger is on the literal other side of the wall for my panels and have a 400 amp service.

Did you max out the breaker and can you show us your average charge speed. The lug situation makes it sound more complex than a ChargePoint installation 😔.

Also, it did come with a mount for the end of the charger correct? I’m guessing you chose not to use it?

Lugs are not that complicated, you just need a crimp tool, heat shrink tubing and a heat gun. No mount for the end of the charger. No mobile app integration right now either...

I just had mine installed. It’s pretty awesome. I was seeing 17KW and 50mph charge speeds, but I was pretty close to the charge limit.

The browser interface is pretty bad, but I did manage to get it connected to my Wi-Fi.

That doesn’t sound quite right, I’ve had a sub panel installed for less than $1k but it was a 40amp panel. The wire costs is what would make a difference here. I’m lucky enough to where my charger is on the literal other side of the wall for my panels and have a 400 amp service.
Copper is expensive.

It doesn’t come with a mount. It just wraps around the charger, same as Tesla.

It doesn’t come with a mount. It just wraps around the charger, same as Tesla.
Older Tesla wall chargers have a mounting point for the charger connector built into the side of the charger. I have no idea if the newer gen chargers still have that..

Lugs are not that complicated, you just need a crimp tool, heat shrink tubing and a heat gun. No mount for the end of the charger. No mobile app integration right now either...
A correct crimp tool for those big lugs is an expensive proposition, and also needs an associated die set:
https://www.rexelusa.com/p/494373
Instead, on @borski 's suggestion, I used three of these chair lugs and heatshrink from Home Depot. You'll also need to buy a torque screwdriver from Amazon:

A big note to my post above: those lugs were appropriate for my 4AWG 60A existing circuit that was previously connected to a Tesla EVSE. They barely fit in the space inside the lucid EVSE because I used the top conduit entry option. A 100 amp circuit would require compression lugs if using top entry because of limited space. Also, please do not consider installing your own unless you thoroughly know what you are doing. Not safe to be pennywise here.

A big note to my post above: those lugs were appropriate for my 4AWG 60A existing circuit that was previously connected to a Tesla EVSE. They barely fit in the space inside the lucid EVSE because I used the top conduit entry option. A 100 amp circuit would require compression lugs if using top entry because of limited space. Also, please do not consider installing your own unless you thoroughly know what you are doing. Not safe to be pennywise here.
Yeah, we used chair lugs but with back entry. And yes, please hire a proper electrician for this unless you really know what you’re doing.

Did your $2200 include mounting and wiring up the Lucid home charger? Were you happy with your Qmerit experience?

Did your $2200 include mounting and wiring up the Lucid home charger? Were you happy with your Qmerit experience?
Yes and yes

Thanks for the photo. What are the Height and width dimensions with the cable wrapped on the charger? Did you get 4 or 5 wraps? Is the cable easy to maneuver? Pliable?
The cable is pliable but heavy like a garden hose filled with water.

Back