Charging Station

so I understand about 25% of what is being said here; are we talking about the Wunderbox? which I don’t really know what that is…

Wunderbox is the onboard charging equipment inside the Lucid. Everything else we’re talking about is a glorified cable.

You can hook up a 14-50 plug and use the charging cable supplied by Lucid at a rate of 40 amps (or trickle it on a regular 110v outlet at a piddly 3mi/hr) and that works fine, but it charges when it’s plugged in and doesn’t charge when it’s not. In general, it’s recommended to limit plugging and unplugging the end of the cable on the 14-50 side, as it can degrade over time (it’s heavy). Lucid even handily provides a cable hook you can mount on your wall for this purpose. Lucid does not yet have scheduling features in the car. Most of us use it as a travel charger in case we can’t find a charging station somewhere but can find a hotel or home with a dryer we can unplug or something.

You’ll also see the talk of a hardwired EVSE; this is referring to products like the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, JuiceBox, ChargePoint, Grizzl-E, etc. These get hardwired (not via a plug, though some can use an existing plug if you have one and charge at a lower rate) and can charge at a higher rate, on a 60A circuit, charging at 48A. (You can’t charge continuously at higher than 80% of what the wire and breaker are rated)

Those hardwired EVSEs all have scheduling features so you can charge when electrical rates are low (for those of us on time-of-use plans, for example) and other features like WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities so you can track energy use, share power, export data and control via OCPP; some will even let you set a charge price and charge neighbors (or anyone) for using your plug.

Lastly, you’ll see talk of the Lucid Wallbox charger; this is the insanely fast 80A charge rate (on a 100A circuit) hardwired EVSE (see above) that Lucid has promised but has not been released yet. Some electricians, like Willow Glen Electric, do have a pre-production version though so they can prep to install. In addition to all the features all the other EVSEs have, it promises to also be able to use the car’s battery as a backup for your home in the case of an outage - this will require significantly more wiring, and a transfer switch, etc., though, so YMMV. You can install the Lucid Wallbox as just a charger, too, without the battery backing up your home, but it’s overkill for most people. I’m going to get it because I like the convenience of being able to charge in just a couple hours, and it uses a standard plug that will be forward compatible with other EVs that aren’t Tesla. Basically, for me it’s future-proofing, but it’s definitely also overkill for my current needs, since I have solar and Powerwalls and don’t need the battery backup (and don’t plan on hooking it up for that).

How’s that for a summary? :p

Last edited:
so I understand about 25% of what is being said here; are we talking about the Wunderbox? which I don’t really know what that is…
The Wunderbox is in the car. This thread is discussing the home wall connector, i.e. EVSE - the thing in your house that you use to charge your car with.

The Wunderbox is in the car. This thread is discussing the home wall connector, i.e. EVSE - the thing in your house that you use to charge your car with.
Alex, you're always patient with newbies and with clear answers, thanks. I had a regular 220v outlet installed to a 50 amp breaker and can charge at about 32 mph, which works fine for me. EA charger is 12 miles from home if I want to "fill the tank". I do want to get a battery and solar system for the house some day and make sure that it's compatible with the Wunderbox and two-way power.

Alex, you're always patient with newbies and with clear answers, thanks. I had a regular 220v outlet installed to a 50 amp breaker and can charge at about 32 mph, which works fine for me. EA charger is 12 miles from home if I want to "fill the tank". I do want to get a battery and solar system for the house some day and make sure that it's compatible with the Wunderbox and two-way power.

Just being pedantic, but you’d want to make sure it’s compatible with the Lucid *Wallbox*. The Wunderbox is the charger inside the car, not the new Lucid EVSE.

As I understand it charging from 80% to 100% takes the longest. How long would it take to go the last 20% with the Lucid supplied NEMA 14-50 cable @ 40 amps.

As I understand it charging from 80% to 100% takes the longest. How long would it take to go the last 20% with the Lucid supplied NEMA 14-50 cable @ 40 amps.

40 amps is 9.6 kW. 2h35m from 80% to 100% with a 112kWh battery.

It slows down at a DC fast charger so as not to overload the battery. At 40A it’ll just stick around 40A the whole time.

It has arrived!!

Attachments

• 3FA20882-6517-4A17-8749-5601ED5AA84A.jpeg
    3FA20882-6517-4A17-8749-5601ED5AA84A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
How did you get it? I am most interested in getting it too!
It’s available to DE owners now, and will be released very soon to non-DE owners. (I assume they’re waiting on additional shipments)

Anything in there about V2H? Any access knockout(s)
Nothing about V2H in the installation manual at all - no additional (LV) wiring, no buttons or other controls, nothing about any indicator light functions relating to V2H. Only things mentioned peripherally related to V2H are 3xAAA batteries for backup and wifi capability for future software upgrades. It does have an RJ45 Ethernet port though - wire passthrough is on the bottom backside of the mounting plate - suppose you could run some CAT6/7 to be safe.

Last edited:
Yeah buddy! Let us know how it works. Do you know if it has a scheduler and has the ability to shut off and stay off after charge?
The user manual says nothing about an app, or any scheduling. Would be great if in the future this ability is exposed through Lucid's car app - but most EV manufacturers schedule charging in the car, not the EVSE.

Hate to say it… but are you suggesting Q2 of 2023?
No, that’s an old post. It’s being shipped to DE owners now and then an email will follow for everyone else. You’ll be able to purchase it from the Lucid Motors online store.

No, that’s an old post. It’s being shipped to DE owners now and then an email will follow for everyone else. You’ll be able to purchase it from the Lucid Motors online store.
Thanks for the update!

The user manual says nothing about an app, or any scheduling. Would be great if in the future this ability is exposed through Lucid's car app - but most EV manufacturers schedule charging in the car, not the EVSE.
I prefer charge scheduling in the EVSE ("charger") rather than in the car because electricity rates are local to the charger. When I'm away from home, I want to change immediately without having to stop to tell the car.

I prefer charge scheduling in the EVSE ("charger") rather than in the car because electricity rates are local to the charger. When I'm away from home, I want to change immediately without having to stop to tell the car.
On the Leaf, I can set the car to only use the timer when at home.

Does it support the 80A charge rate on 100A circuit? The cord in the picture doesn’t look large enough caliber to do that. Looks like the typical 48Amp cable.

Back