Charging Station

Does it support the 80A charge rate on 100A circuit? The cord in the picture doesn’t look large enough caliber to do that. Looks like the typical 48Amp cable.
Yes

Does it support the 80A charge rate on 100A circuit? The cord in the picture doesn’t look large enough caliber to do that. Looks like the typical 48Amp cable.
Yes. I'm getting mine this afternoon and will compare the handling of the Lucid's 80A cable to my Chargepoint's 48A cable.

Yes. I'm getting mine this afternoon and will compare the handling of the Lucid's 80A cable to my Chargepoint's 48A cable.
It’s actually thinner than my Wallbox Pulsar Plus cable but handles 80A. Wild.

That is amazing. My clipper creek 80 cable is hugely.

You have to cut a cable to see what inside. Is it all copper, is it solid or braided wire. I'm sure there are other factors that play a role in the final thickness. When my electrician was doing install I was shocked how the wire didn't appear that much thicker from 50a, 60a, 80a and 100a.

My LCHCS is in the process of being installed as we speak. A few PSAs:

1) I have no idea how to use the Ethernet grommet; it does not have a thru-hole, and if you cut it you would have to cut the cable, run it through, and recrimp it with an RJ45 plug once through the grommet. Doable, but annoying.

2) If you’re thinking “oh man, gigabit for my charger” you’d make the same mistake as me; the Ethernet port in the charger is 10/100, not gigabit. I found this out by calling customer care and asking, because I was trying to figure out the grommet. Luckily I didn’t drill a hole for the grommet yet, so was able to save myself the annoyance, since my wifi in the garage is faster than 100mbit.

3) I do not yet know if the wifi chipset is 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but will report back once I have it connected. If it is 5GHz, it’s worth me buying a proper wifi AP now that I have a gigabit line in the garage (was already there, I just had to crimp it and find it in my patch panel; yay network flukes). If it’s 2.4GHz my little unifi extender will be fine since I already get >100Mbit in the garage.

4) To install, you need compression lugs for the wires, as the wires will not fit directly into the contacts. We used chair lugs because that’s what the electricians had on them, but shouldn’t make any difference; the point is you need to provide the lugs and shrink wrap them yourself.

Pic to come.

Thanks for the info. It's typical to just cut a cross-slit in the ethernet grommet and push a cable through. You'd want to use a length of solid wire ethernet cable; patch cords are made of stranded wire and will not work with standard crimp-on RJ45 plugs. I have a crimp tool if anyone is masochistic enough to want to borrow it.

@borski I can make you a good deal on one or two Unifi nano-hd APs; I'm going to pull my unifi stuff soon and replace it with Google's new Nest 6e blobs.

Last edited:
FC82D700-BA38-4871-8166-2BB4F0ACABC4.jpeg

Thanks for the info. It's typical to just cut a cross-slit in the ethernet grommet and push a cable through. You'd want to use a length of solid wire ethernet cable; patch cords are made of stranded wire and will not work with standard crimp-on RJ45 plugs. I have a crimp tool if anyone is masochistic enough to want to borrow it.

@borski I can make you a good deal on one or two Unifi nano-hd APs; I'm going to pull my unifiy stuff soon and replace it with Google's new Nest 6e blobs.
Yeah I have my crimper and this was a solid CAT6 cable; just wasn’t worth it for the 100mbit haha.

I will ping you re: the AP!

Just looked at the Lucid charger's cable. It is thicker and stiffer than the Chargepoint home flex. But that's the cost of greater capability.

@borski so no indication of when bi-directional capability will be functional? thanks.

Hopefully, your cable won’t wind up looking twisted like the one at the service center, because I can see some wavy patterns in yours. Picture of service center charger and wavy cable:
C765535B-8165-4D53-AA4B-57A69C2B035B.jpeg

Hopefully, your cable won’t wind up looking twisted like the one at the service center, because I can see some wavy patterns in yours. Picture of service center charger and wavy cable:
View attachment 5911

Different chargers entirely. Cable feels very sturdy. Setup was quick on wifi, and easy.

No ability to schedule charge yet or app integration, but it does appear to have OCPP and was pulling ~77 amps / 17-19 kW (I assume because my car was already at a high SOC). :)

Attachments

• IMG_4641.MOV
    9.4 MB
Different chargers entirely. Cable feels very sturdy. Setup was quick on wifi, and easy.

No ability to schedule charge yet or app integration, but it does appear to have OCPP and was pulling ~77 amps / 17-19 kW (I assume because my car was already at a high SOC). :)
My car draws no more than 17kW on a 19.2kW "feed." I think the rest of the power is used to keep the battery cool and run the electronics. I don't think that charging is 100% efficient. I think the Lucid displays the actual power going into the pack, the rest is part of the inefficiency.

My car draws no more than 17kW on a 19.2kW "feed." I think the rest of the power is used to keep the battery cool and run the electronics. I don't think that charging is 100% efficient. I think the Lucid displays the actual power going into the pack, the rest is part of the inefficiency.
Forgot to mention that it also depends on your voltage. 240V*80A=19.2kW. Many homes run below this voltage, especially when there are other loads in the house. The only time I get 240V is when it's sunny out and the solar system boosts the voltage.

The older Tesla Gen-1 charger would run up to 277V single phase for building wired 480V 3-phase. The older Teslas had no problem taking in 22kW.

I think the Lucid displays the actual power going into the pack, the rest is part of the inefficiency.
I think the kW display is the power coming into the car and the charging in mi/hr or mi/min is the power into the battery. If you turn on the remote climate while charging, the kW in does not change but the mi/hr decreases.

so I understand about 25% of what is being said here; are we talking about the Wunderbox? which I don’t really know what that is…
Glad to see I am not the only fool who can't understand why Lucid decided something we can't use or even see needs a name, but the thing that definitely needs a name is a meaningless, nebulous, acronym.
1666706043735.png

...it's called Betty.

Just say Betty and everyone will know you are talking about the Lucid wall wart or LSMFT or whatever EVLSDMP3 you got.
1666705868044.png

Last edited:
Glad to see I am not the only fool who can't understand why Lucid decided something we can't use or even see needs a name, but the thing that definitely needs a name is a meaningless, nebulous, acronym.
View attachment 5938
...it's called Betty.

Just say Betty and everyone will know you are talking about the Lucid wall wart or LSMFT or whatever EVLSDMP3 you got.
View attachment 5937
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

1666717280652.gif

A basic question on the 100A installation. I got a quote of ~$7K to run a 100A circuit to the main panel from garage and install the unit. The total distance between is between 90 to 100 ft. Is that normal?

Back