Ceramic coating, window tinting, and wraps

Let me know how they did once you get your car.
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG

That is a really shiny and beautiful car. Congrats!

Beautiful! Congrats! Am waiting to order the AT in the same color. Just trying to decide on wheel size.
Thanks. Good luck. I’m in San Diego so weather and roads are not an issue for me. I like the look of the 21’s and was willing to sacrifice the miles.

For those in San Diego, my car is still at Auto Armour. I'm picking it up on Monday. Wrap and tint are complete, as of yesterday (except the windshield). Ceramic is being done now. Just in case anyone wants to have a peek. :cool:
Which wrap and ceramic product did you use?

XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF
XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating
XPEL Prime XR Plus Window Tint (Front 35%, Rear 20%, Windshield 70%)
@Steve11ca, Did you consider "XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF" (not to be confused with XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating). This is a newly released product:

@Steve11ca, Did you consider "XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF" (not to be confused with XPEL Fusion Plus Ceramic Coating). This is a newly released product:

I did not want hydrophobic film. At this point, I don't know how long it will retain those properties so I decided to let the ceramic that can be reapplied as needed take care of that.

This is the way
I did not want hydrophobic film. At this point, I don't know how long it will retain those properties so I decided to let the ceramic that can be reapplied as needed take care of that.

I’ve actually talked to the same detailed who did @Steve11ca car. They recommended to go the way Steve did.

Lucid doesn’t care. Not sure what you’re confused about, but you keep saying saran wrap and grease coating; please let’s try and use the correct names so we understand each other.

PPF = paint protection film; comes in clear gloss, matte/stealth, and other options.
Ceramic coating = hydrophobic coating that makes it way easier to clean.
Tint is obvious, but there are clear tints that don’t darken very much at all and still provide heat rejection.
Vinyl = thinner than PPF, does not protect it almost at all, but lots more options of colors, and much cheaper.

You can mix and match. Can do just ceramic for easy cleaning but no protection. Can do PPF and then ceramic for max protection and cleaning. Can do vinyl and ceramic. Just can’t put anything *on top of* ceramic without buffing the ceramic coating off first (remember nothing sticks to ceramic; that’s the whole point).

You can get parts of the car coated or the whole car coated, in any of them. All depends on what you want to do.

Lucid doesn’t care at all; just be aware if you get tint and a piece of glass breaks, you’re on the hook for re-tinting. Insurance won’t cover that.

And if you do get PPF or vinyl, have them cut out holes for the sensors around the car; they will not work if they’re covered, as they’re a little inset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Xpel plus which has a hydrophobic impregnated. What would be the purpose of putting on a ceramic coating over the ppf if it is already imbibed with a hydrophobic one? I have used various things film coatings in my manufacturing operation ranging from vacuum deposition to military grade ppfs. It’s just getting money for no appreciable difference.

I was on the fence regarding PPF, and in the end decided not to do it. The roads/freeways near me are notorious for causing rock chips, so I like to think I'm doing a bit of a science experiment on the hardness of Lucid paint haha.

In a bit less than ~1k miles now, I've observed the most rock chips on the flat center part of the front bumper below the headlights (makes sense, this presents a lot of frontal area and is very low).

I also managed to pick up a big one here:
IMG_1952.jpg

I did get a ceramic coating, I'm stuck parking my car outside mostly so need something for UV protection and love the ease of washing. If I had to do it over I'd maybe at least get PPF on the front bumper, but I can definitely live with the damage I've picked up so far. No rock chips on the hood that I could spot at least as of my last wash.

Back