• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

CarPlay is here! - Megathread

Purchased a Carlinkit 12.0 8GB+128GB, 8-Core unit off Amazon. Initially, because of the odd-shaped screen a lot of icons and menu items were not visible. I worked with their support team and yesterday got a firmware update that uses the same screen real estate as CarPlay. Check out the results using the Plex app accessing my Plex server!

Are you using your phone wireless to connect to the unit using data port? Looks like jailbreak iPhone on CP can watch video streaming.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I’m surprised that Lucid’s CP implementation passed Apple certification considering that Apple is very picky about performance. I’m happy that it’s finally here, and when it works, it’s great; however, it is very glitchy as others are reporting. Let’s hope an update will arrive quickly.

On a separate note, I just got the Carlinkit T2C CP adapter for my Model S and am surprised how well it works considering it’s using a local hotspot and browser method to implement.
Very good point! It hasn’t worked for me since the very first time I installed it. Never launches after that.

Oh well, at least lucid is consistent in the awful quality of the software they’ve been releasing since they launched this car. I’ve now had my lucid GT for 13 months and really tired of dealing with the buggy software. The fact that I prefer to use my Volvo C40 EV most days, which is a 3rd of the price of thr AGT speaks volumes of how much this buggy sw has affected my driving decions.

I know the legions of lucid defenders here will jump to the defense and say why don’t I sell the car, believe me if the resale value wasn’t so terrible I would totally do it. Stepped back last month after driving this for 1 year and realized I shouldn’t have to deal with constant buggy SW after spending 150k for a car, so why do I still have this car ☹️

Very good point! It hasn’t worked for me since the very first time I installed it. Never launches after that.

Oh well, at least lucid is consistent in the awful quality of the software they’ve been releasing since they launched this car. I’ve now had my lucid GT for 13 months and really tired of dealing with the buggy software. The fact that I prefer to use my Volvo C40 EV most days, which is a 3rd of the price of thr AGT speaks volumes of how much this buggy sw has affected my driving decions.

I know the legions of lucid defenders here will jump to the defense and say why don’t I sell the car, believe me if the resale value wasn’t so terrible I would totally do it. Stepped back last month after driving this for 1 year and realized I shouldn’t have to deal with constant buggy SW after spending 150k for a car, so why do I still have this car ☹️
I guess every car is different, but I have not been experiencing any significant bugs lately.

The USB port wasn’t enabled for data access back then and was strictly for charging. Recently, Lucid allowed data stick to be plugged in for music data reading. Have you tried that Carlinkit device recently? Maybe it will work now.

I haven’t gotten much glitches since UX20, last couple months have been smooth except 1 time totally lost sound and one OTA update flushed out issue and fixed it. So far, I think Lucid made great stride in the first year teething of software stability improvement. Second year I’m looking forward for more features enhancements.

Sorry about your experience. Mine has not been the same. I’ve also had zero issues with CarPlay tho 🤷‍♂️

I’m not saying this to be mean, but if you don’t think resale value is going to get better, since you don’t believe in the car or the brand… why not cut your losses?

Not the same experience here. What buggy things have you experienced?
Everything I've seen is a minor annoyance, but nothing that inconveniences me and no significant bugs either. Would be curious to hear about what problems you face now?

Not seeing your video, this is for a Tesla, right?
No, the new firmware just released configures it to the Lucid screen. A Carlinkit works with any car that has CarPlay (or Android Auto). It is direct-wired. Once it is plugged in and configured, you can load virtually any Android app on the device you want. There's an app that will connect back to your iPhone and run CarPlay (your iPhone connects to this wirelessly).

Are you using your phone wireless to connect to the unit using data port? Looks like jailbreak iPhone on CP can watch video streaming.
No, no jailbreak. The Android tricks the Lucid into thinking it is an iPhone running CarPlay but in reality it is running Android. It then connects back to your iPhone and can run the CarPlay app within its environment. If you go to YouTube you can see people using it in any car that Supports either CarPlay or Android auto.

No, no jailbreak. The Android tricks the Lucid into thinking it is an iPhone running CarPlay but in reality it is running Android. It then connects back to your iPhone and can run the CarPlay app within its environment. If you go to YouTube you can see people using it in any car that Supports either CarPlay or Android auto.

I don't want to be the company producing that product the first time someone dies in a car accident watching a movie...

In at least one sense, I think CarPlay may work better in the Lucid than in my wife's Audi. Full disclosure... I have barely driven the Audi since taking delivery of my Lucid and I haven't used CarPlay in the Lucid hardly at all... That said, I can be using the Lucid interface (music or nav) having not intentionally used CarPlay but it I get a text, CarPlay pops up and reads it to me, then goes away. If I want to respond, I can long press on the microphone button, siri comes up and I can respond. Again, I haven't driven the Audi in a while... but I would swear that I had to have CarPlay actually for at least the first part to work.

I couldn't get the Lucid UI to work with my Phone (for texts and contacts) prior to the CarPlay update. Now, I don't care. CarPlay has worked flawlessly in this way even though I'm using the Lucid UX for everything else so far. Very satisfied with at least this use case.
I had a similar experience yesterday with an incoming call while driving. I wasn't using CarPlay at the time but when the phone rang, up popped the CarPlay interface. Then when I hung up it went away again. Not sure if this is normal CarPlay behaviour but it struck me as a very neat implementation.

I don't want to be the company producing that product the first time someone dies in a car accident watching a movie...
It’s not just about watching video. Both CarPlay and Android Auto work with a very limited number of apps. Using a Carlinkit, virtually any app available in the Android ecosystem can be used. In my case, I want to use the JBV1 app for my Valentine One Gen2. JBV1 is not available for Apple, and not available in Androud Auto. I now can use this app as my dashboard integrating radar sheets with Waze (which alerts to photo cameras,etc). Because I’m invested in an Apple ecosystem it allows me to use Android apps though CarPlay and avoid having to buy an Android phone just for this purpose

I had a similar experience yesterday with an incoming call while driving. I wasn't using CarPlay at the time but when the phone rang, up popped the CarPlay interface. Then when I hung up it went away again. Not sure if this is normal CarPlay behaviour but it struck me as a very neat implementation.
This is the intended behavior for CarPlay, not just in a Lucid. In any car.

This “just” in Dominos Pizza Ordering in CarPlay:

This “just” in Dominos Pizza Ordering in CarPlay:

You are driving home and your Domino Pizza delivery is on the way. You need to know play by play of each turn of Domino driver’s location. You are racing home watching Domino Pizza on CarPlay to make sure you can beat the driver in time so your neighborhood strait cats won’t snatch away your dinner left on your porch. Well played, Domino Pizza!

Another CarPlay fail day. I disconnected the vehicle from WiFi over the weekend as recommended and today when I got into the vehicle, the phone wouldn’t connect at all to the vehicle. Toggling BT in the car recovered! I’m really shocked that Lucid’s CP implementation passed Apple certification. And yes, for all of us that are having issues we know that there are a select few on here that never have a single CarPlay problem. But that does not discount the numerous issues that others are experiencing. I’ve had CarPlay in multiple vehicles as well as rentals, and never had the number of issues I’ve experienced since LUCID released CarPlay. Hopefully the next update will resolve CarPlay flakiness.

And as a bonus, after I finished shopping at Costco. I put the car in gear and left. It was pretty hot, so I turned on the AC. Another fail. With each button activation in the climate control UI the settings would turn on, then turn off. This included Cooled seats as well. It was a very hot drive back home. Once home, a key card reset resolved.

Another CarPlay fail day. I disconnected the vehicle from WiFi over the weekend as recommended and today when I got into the vehicle, the phone wouldn’t connect at all to the vehicle. Toggling BT in the car recovered! I’m really shocked that Lucid’s CP implementation passed Apple certification. And yes, for all of us that are having issues we know that there are a select few on here that never have a single CarPlay problem. But that does not discount the numerous issues that others are experiencing. I’ve had CarPlay in multiple vehicles as well as rentals, and never had the number of issues I’ve experienced since LUCID released CarPlay. Hopefully the next update will resolve CarPlay flakiness.

And as a bonus, after I finished shopping at Costco. I put the car in gear and left. It was pretty hot, so I turned on the AC. Another fail. With each button activation in the climate control UI the settings would turn on, then turn off. This included Cooled seats as well. It was a very hot drive back home. Once home, a key card reset resolved.
What have you done so far to troubleshoot the situation?

Have you tried it wired?
Not yet as I’m already using both front USB ports … one for a wireless charger to compensate for the failed integrated wireless charger design, the other has a thumbdrive for music. I guess I could unplug the thumbdrive and test again. Wireless CP seems to work fine on the Carlinkit T2C I just got for my Model S.

Not yet as I’m already using both front USB ports … one for a wireless charger to compensate for the failed integrated wireless charger design, the other has a thumbdrive for music. I guess I could unplug the thumbdrive and test again. Wireless CP seems to work fine on the Carlinkit T2C I just got for my Model S.
Hmmm… That makes me wonder… Is your Tesla trying to pick up CarPlay and the phone confused? I’ve had this happen in the past with another car when I walk in the garage. Easy to test… does it pick up fine when away from home?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the situation?
I have done the following since CP was added to the vehicle when CP fails to start:

• I removed, and re-added the vehicle to the phone. This is frustrating as I need to re-order all of the CarPlay apps.
  • I have updated to the latest iOS version
  • I’ve unpaired from the vehicle and repaired.
  • I’ve performed Bobby resets
  • I performed blinker and key card resets
  • I’ve tapped the CarPlay icon in the LUCID UI
  • I’ve disconnected the vehicle from Wi-Fi
  • I’ve rebooted the phone
  • I’ve toggled Bluetooth in the phone and in the vehicle

With each of the above debug attempts, I will get varying levels of success of getting CarPlay to start.

Back