Car asking for PIN when key fob is in the car

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi All:

Is there a situation where the car will ask for a pin when the key fob (that works) is in the car? The problem is when my wife goes into her parking garage, she often has to put the car in park, undo her seatbelt, and step out of the car to use her card and trigger the garage opener. In this situation, the car suddenly asks for a pin before it will let her put the car back into drive and go into her garage. Any thoughts as to why the car is asking for the pin and how to stop this behavior?

Thanks,

Hi All:

Is there a situation where the car will ask for a pin when the key fob (that works) is in the car? The problem is when my wife goes into her parking garage, she often has to put the car in park, undo her seatbelt, and step out of the car to use her card and trigger the garage opener. In this situation, the car suddenly asks for a pin before it will let her put the car back into drive and go into her garage. Any thoughts as to why the car is asking for the pin and how to stop this behavior?

Thanks,
Where is the key fob when she does this?

By chance, is the key fob in the cup holder?

Its happened to me a few times. The car sometimes gets confused because one of you also had a linked mobile key in the car.

By chance, is the key fob in the cup holder?
My wife said the fob was not in the cup holder but in the console, just behind where the phone holders are. Does that matter?

Its happened to me a few times. The car sometimes gets confused because one of you also had a linked mobile key in the car.
I was not there, but my wife has her mobile phone set up for the key. I assume the software is smart enough not to get confused.

The pin request only happens when she stops, puts the car in park, and gets out of the car (Takes the seat belt off, too). But she is never more than a foot from the car as she only has to swipe her garage fob.

My wife said the fob was not in the cup holder but in the console, just behind where the phone holders are. Does that matter?
Basically, the center console, particularly the cupholder area, is a dead zone. You don't want to keep your fobs near there.

One of those things that got overlooked in the design phase. Keeping the fob in a pocket or a bag will likely alleviate this issue.

You might need to change the battery. Since I swapped out batteries not experienced it again

It is some kind of software glitch. It has happened several times with me when I pick up or drop off a passenger. I’m in the car, put it in park while the passenger gets in or out of the car. Then when I try to put it into drive, it wants me to put in the PIN. Quite irritating. Happened at the airport. Security was telling me to move the car and it was taking 1-2 minutes due to the pIN request. I had to tell them the car would not allow me to put it into gear.

You might need to change the battery. Since I swapped out batteries not experienced it again
Not the battery. It’s a software glitch that is activated occasionaly by putting the car in park and then opening a door.

It’s your wife again 😂
This morning I encountered this situation where I only have mobile keep setup and the fobs are hidden somewhere inside the house. It asked me for pin. Almost seemingly not recognizing the mobile key. Next time, it worked flawlessly.

Last edited:
Today my wife got stuck with the car asking for a pin with 5-8 cars honking. Very annoying! Impressive that your early adopters got through if this is the vastly improved software. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Today my wife got stuck with the car asking for a pin with 5-8 cars honking. Very annoying! Impressive that your early adopters got through if this is the vastly improved software. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Share your PIN with your wife?🙃

There’s something else going on; this isn’t a normal software bug. I literally haven’t had it ask me for a pin since I got the car.

I would triple check that the phone is set up as a mobile key and linked to her profile in the car. I would try keeping the fob in a pocket or somewhere else, and try rubbing the battery with rubbing alcohol (to remove bitterant coating) and/or replacing it with a fresh battery (with any bitterant removed).

This isn’t a software bug most people are running into, so I’m loathe to call it that.

(And, to be clear, this sucks - your wife shouldn’t be sitting there entering a pin with two different keys in the car, lol - but that’s why I wanna get down to the bottom of it)

I have seen this bug when dropping off or picking up passengers. For me, the request for a PIN clears itself and I am able to put the car back into drive without much of a delay. As said earlier, it happens when the car is put into park and one of the doors is opened.

Happened to my wife this week, and we had just replaced the battery in her fob. It was 5:30 in the morning so we just swapped fobs. Will need to do some investigating.

Mine hasn’t asked me for a PIN in several months. I will occasionally still get the “Key Fob Not Detected” popup. But it goes away after a few seconds.

Question for those who are seeing this: Have you tried waving the fob up near the roof of the car, where the microphone/sensor array is? I thought that was supposed to help it see the fob and acknowledge it.

Also, I know this sucks, and Lucid should address it. But I keep seeing reports of people who have this happen with a line of cars behind them, honking, etc. Do your spouses not know your pin? Is there any reason not to share it with them?

Heck, if this started happening to me, I’d just make my PIN something stupidly easy, like 1234. Then the most inconvenience you are going to cause is two to three seconds. Even in New Jersey, that’s only going to get you honked at once or twice.

It’s your wife again 😂
This morning I encountered this situation where I only have mobile keep setup and the fobs are hidden somewhere inside the house. It asked me for pin. Almost seemingly not recognizing the mobile key. Next time, it worked flawlessly.
That happens to me occasionally with the mobile and since the last update, and it may not be related I keep getting connection issues with the internet when I am at a store. I see the connection is there but it does not seem to work. Should have taken a screen shot to share.

On the occasions I get asked for the Pin, the phone is in the charging area. I keep it so that it is on top of everything.

Back