Cadillac Lyriq: Where have I seen that display before?

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Same display concept but no pilot screen. However, it is an OLED display. And the Lyriq has larger cup holders and comes with Android automotive. Still kinda tacky overall though.

1656422694595.jpeg

The Lyriq also wisely uses Google maps and Google navigation. Hoping it has Google Assistant as well.
Ioniq 5, EV6, GV60 share a similar above-dash main screen but use Hyundai/Kia's propretary map/nav software and voice assistant :(.

It’s actually own continuous LCD screen, not 3 screens in one housing. The press stated OLED in the past but it appears that it was in error and Cadillac stated LCD in its more recent press event. Google map and assistant integration looks nice as the map goes all the way to the right edge of the screen.

It’s actually own continuous LCD screen, not 3 screens in one housing. The press stated OLED in the past but it appears that it was in error and Cadillac stated LCD in its more recent press event. Google map and assistant integration looks nice as the map goes all the way to the right edge of the screen.

I'm jealous of the fact that they have Google maps built in like that. However, the mapping software on the Lucid makes life exciting.

From CNET: "...the Lyriq's navigation is straight-up Google Maps...Google integration permeates the entire infotainment system, offering Google Assistant and the Play Store baked right in, similar to what GM is doing with other new-for-2022 vehicles ...Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard, too..."

I would rather have this than nothing at all.
If they implemented this, then I can already forsee the slew of posts on having a $150k car with such a crappy implementation of CarPlay.

If they implemented this, then I can already forsee the slew of posts on having a $150k car with such a crappy implementation of CarPlay.
As I've mentioned before, the current limitations of CarPlay sort of gave Cadillac little choice but to implement it this way. It's a rectangle, basically. If your screen is not a rectangle, you have to just drop a rectangle onto the screen wherever it fits.

The next gen CarPlay announced in early June, which will not ship until next year at the earliest, will dramatically change the options for auto makers. I suspect Cadillac will reimplement at that time.

Don't be surprised, in other words, if Lucid's first implementation of CarPlay in a few months looks a lot like this.

Unless they put it on the pilot panel. Which I still think would be a mistake.

The next gen CarPlay announced in early June, which will not ship until next year at the earliest, will dramatically change the options for auto makers. I suspect Cadillac will reimplement at that time.

I would be surprised if any existing vehicle implements the new version of CarPlay which appears to be a solution akin to android automotive and the hardware would need to be in place to support it.

I would be surprised if any existing vehicle implements the new version of CarPlay which appears to be a solution akin to android automotive and the hardware would need to be in place to support it.
CarPlay, even the new version, operates entirely on your phone. There is no extra hardware required in the car, as far as I know. There will be minimum specs, I’m assuming. And lots of software to implement to get the car to report data to the phone where needed, and to respond to the phone’s requests where needed. But new hardware in the car should not be needed. Unless someone here knows otherwise.

Now, most traditional manufacturers don’t bother to update the software in their older cars. That is true. Not sure what Cadillac’s policy on this will be. Does the Lyriq get OTA updates?

My guess is most manufacturers will want to compete with Tesla and Lucid on the OTA front in the long run, however.

Also important to note: The new CarPlay does not appear to be an all-or-nothing solution. Cadillac could just let it take over media and navigation on that right side of the screen, for instance. Without doing all the other stuff on the adjacent screen.

CarPlay, even the new version, operates entirely on your phone. There is no extra hardware required in the car, as far as I know.
While the processing will be handled by the phone it will require hardware integration that is not on current models. This is "next-gen CarPlay". From the keynote "Vehicles will start to be announced late next year" Just like when CarPlay was rolled out initially automakers had to opt in to support it. This will require deep integration to take over functions of the car. Thinks like the speedometer are a required safety feature and can't be buggy or flakey. Its going to be some time before this comes to fruition.

CarPlay, even the new version, operates entirely on your phone. There is no extra hardware required in the car, as far as I know. There will be minimum specs, I’m assuming. And lots of software to implement to get the car to report data to the phone where needed, and to respond to the phone’s requests where needed. But new hardware in the car should not be needed. Unless someone here knows otherwise.

Now, most traditional manufacturers don’t bother to update the software in their older cars. That is true. Not sure what Cadillac’s policy on this will be. Does the Lyriq get OTA updates?

My guess is most manufacturers will want to compete with Tesla and Lucid on the OTA front in the long run, however.
You’re correct. CarPlay runs entirely on the phone and basically projects itself onto a cars screen. I don’t know how Lucid is going to implement it without it looking similar to the Lyriq. The new CarPlay doesn’t even seem to be released by Apple they just “announced” it so any version Lucid is working on is what every other car has today. Unless they’re one of the partners Apple will announce soon but I don’t see this new version of CarPlay being beneficial to Lucid when they’re doing all their own integrations etc.

The Lyriq is running android automotive OS and supports OTA updates

What is Android Automotive?​

Android Automotive is a base Android platform that runs pre-installed IVI system Android applications as well as optional second- and third-party Android Applications.
Android Automotive offers openness, customization, and scale to automotive infotainment systems and head units. Openness enables new efficiencies by providing basic automotive infotainment features in a free and open source codebase. Customization enables implementers to differentiate the product as they see fit. Scale is achieved through Android’s common framework, language, and APIs, all of which enables reuse of development expertise and completed software from hundreds of thousands of Android developers worldwide.

Android Automotive & Android​

It’s important to understand how Android Automotive relates to the overall Android ecosystem:
  • Android Automotive is Android. Android Automotive is not a fork or parallel development of Android. It is the same codebase and lives in the same repository as the Android shipped on phones, tablets, etc. It builds on a robust platform and feature set developed over 10+ years, enabling it to leverage the existing security model, compatibility program, developer tools, and infrastructure while continuing to be highly customizable and portable, completely free, and open source.
  • Android Automotive extends Android. In the course of building Android into a full-featured platform for infotainment, we’re adding support for automotive-specific requirements, features, and technologies. Android Automotive will be a full-stack, turnkey automotive infotainment platform, just as Android is for mobile today.
Carriers, OEMs, and developers have been using Android to build beautiful devices, applications, and experiences for over a decade. Android Automotive now brings the power of Android to the car, where car makers can create powerful infotainment systems designed for the digital age.

Android Automotive & Android Auto​

The nomenclature can be confusing. Here’s how they differ:
  • Android Auto is a platform running on the user’s phone, projecting the Android Auto user experience to a compatible in-vehicle infotainment system over a USB connection. Android Auto supports apps designed for in-vehicle use. For details, refer to developer.android.com/auto.
  • Android Automotive is an operating system and platform running directly on the in-vehicle hardware. It is a full-stack, open source, highly customizable platform powering the infotainment experience. Android Automotive supports apps built for Android as well as those built for Android Auto.

Google Automotive Services (GAS)​

Google Automotive Services (GAS) is a collection of applications and services that automotive OEMs can choose to license and integrate into their in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) systems. For details and access to latest version of GAS applications, reach out to your Google point of contact.

From Wikipedia​

Vehicles with Android Automotive (with GAS)​

Vehicles with Android Automotive (AOSP, without GAS)​

While the processing will be handled by the phone it will require hardware integration that is not on current models. This is "next-gen CarPlay". From the keynote "Vehicles will start to be announced late next year" Just like when CarPlay was rolled out initially automakers had to opt in to support it. This will require deep integration to take over functions of the car. Thinks like the speedometer are a required safety feature and can't be buggy or flakey. Its going to be some time before this comes to fruition.

I totally agree. But these connections are in software, not hardware. So existing cars like the Lucid should have no trouble retrofitting it next year, or 2024, or whenever.

The phone doesn’t control the car’s speed. It just reports it. Fan speeds and such will depend on whether those functions are already done via computer, as they are on a Tesla or Lucid, or if those physical controls are completely disconnected from the main brain of the car. If the former, the car’s computer will just have to be programmed to “listen” for changes from the phone, then react as if the user tapped the same function on the car’s controls.

It’s deep integration, but given that most modern cars are already largely computerized, it shouldn’t require new hardware.

For functions that aren’t computerized already in the car, I’m guessing that car’s CarPlay integration will not show those features.

Back