Cadillac Lyriq: Where have I seen that display before?

From Wikipedia​

Vehicles with Android Automotive (with GAS)​

Vehicles with Android Automotive (AOSP, without GAS)​

Wait..Rivian is running AAOS...they just got it running smoother, probably because it's native!

Wait..Rivian is running AAOS...they just got it running smoother, probably because it's native!
IF Lucid is using Android Automotive, I don't understand how they made such a mess.

IF Lucid is using Android Automotive, I don't understand how they made such a mess.
It could be as simple as the designers wanted a number of things a certain way, and those couldn’t easily be recreated in Android Automotive. So they “worked around” those features with custom components, and so on and so forth, until they ended up with a spaghetti mess under the hood. I’ve seen it many times.

To me, Lucid’s UI and UX design is better looking and more intuitive than 90% of what I’ve seen out there. (And yes, that includes Tesla, which was better two years ago, if you ask me.) And differentiation is extremely important in a luxury vehicle. What gets printed on those screens needs to match the brand. (This is why I scratch my head when people talk about Mercedes UI. It looks like a bad copy of Windows to me. Nowhere near up to par visually with the Mercedes brand.)

So following the designers’ specs to make it look and work a certain way wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It could just be that making all those custom adjustments required more time than the team was given to do it well. And something had to give.

As a big “for example” on Tesla’s UI getting demonstrably worse, is this cutting edge icon design in 2022? Looks more like 1987. Not to mention, there’s no text to give you a clue what most of these do.

Attachments

• C47AEDA5-1CB4-4FB4-801F-55C8E44BA5B8.jpeg
    C47AEDA5-1CB4-4FB4-801F-55C8E44BA5B8.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 94
And my favorite. I’m a passenger and I want to control my temp. If I happen to see these little arrows, I can tap them up or down. That also happens to be how I bring up a small panel to adjust my seat heaters. But how I could guess that, I don’t know.

And if I tap the actual temp instead? I get a giant climate control screen that blocks the view of the backup cam, the map, or whatever else the driver happens to need.

Attachments

• 65B0E9D3-ED0E-45FA-885A-10B1968525FA.jpeg
    65B0E9D3-ED0E-45FA-885A-10B1968525FA.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 79
I agree. When seeing what Rivian has delivered vs Lucid running the same base OS it’s clear Lucid dropped the ball big time!

It could be as simple as the designers wanted a number of things a certain way, and those couldn’t easily be recreated in Android Automotive. So they “worked around” those features with custom components, and so on and so forth, until they ended up with a spaghetti mess under the hood. I’ve seen it many times.

To me, Lucid’s UI and UX design is better looking and more intuitive than 90% of what I’ve seen out there. (And yes, that includes Tesla, which was better two years ago, if you ask me.) And differentiation is extremely important in a luxury vehicle. What gets printed on those screens needs to match the brand. (This is why I scratch my head when people talk about Mercedes UI. It looks like a bad copy of Windows to me. Nowhere near up to par visually with the Mercedes brand.)

So following the designers’ specs to make it look and work a certain way wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It could just be that making all those custom adjustments required more time than the team was given to do it well. And something had to give.
We have five cars and to me, the Lucid UI is the worst and that includes a 2017 Mercedes. Just my option, so no need to tell me that I am wrong. The cabin layout and software UI of my 2018 Navigator is far easier for me to use.

I have written software for a very long time and could have done a much better job of laying out the UI. There are things blocked when my hands are on the steering wheel. There are buttons you need to push but if you are moving, they are hard to reach etc. If the programmers had a "mule" car with the correct screens to drive around they would have seen these issues and fixed them

Again, just my opinion. I am not posting this to argue with anyone but hope that Lucid will see the post and think about it.

There is a lot to like about the Lucid cars and I hope that management puts the same effort into the software that they put into the drive train.

It’s actually own continuous LCD screen, not 3 screens in one housing. The press stated OLED in the past but it appears that it was in error and Cadillac stated LCD in its more recent press event. Google map and assistant integration looks nice as the map goes all the way to the right edge of the screen.

How do I know it’s not actually three screens in a single housing? :p

And my favorite. I’m a passenger and I want to control my temp. If I happen to see these little arrows, I can tap them up or down. That also happens to be how I bring up a small panel to adjust my seat heaters. But how I could guess that, I don’t know.

And if I tap the actual temp instead? I get a giant climate control screen that blocks the view of the backup cam, the map, or whatever else the driver happens to need.
It is so difficult to turn the dial on my BMW to get the temp I want. One dial for each side with clear temperature numbers. I actually have to move my hand a few inches. But BMW is also slowly moving toward a touch pad.

I really dislike the trend away from buttons and switches. It is fine with me for adjustments that I don't make while driving but changing the temp, adjusting the fan speed, turning on Max and then turning if off while driving to cool off the car; adjusting the radio volume. These are adjustments I want to be able to make without taking my eyes off the road.

It is so difficult to turn the dial on my BMW to get the temp I want. One dial for each side with clear temperature numbers. I actually have to move my hand a few inches. But BMW is also slowly moving toward a touch pad.

I really dislike the trend away from buttons and switches. It is fine with me for adjustments that I don't make while driving but changing the temp, adjusting the fan speed, turning on Max and then turning if off while driving to cool off the car; adjusting the radio volume. These are adjustments I want to be able to make without taking my eyes off the road.
I think that a trend is to have voice assistants take care of a lot of things. Alexa in the Lucid is just not ready. Mercedes Me seems to work better. I tend to forget that these assistants are available. Using them will take getting use to and I find "talking to my car" more of a distraction while driving than using my hands to push a button or turn a knob.

I still like some physical switches though. Lock doors, adjust the steering wheel and mirrors etc. My 2018 Navigator has a great mix of real buttons, not touch, and screen functions but my "Tesla son" likes a minimalist interior. :)

I think that a trend is to have voice assistants take care of a lot of things. Alexa in the Lucid is just not ready...
I'm wishing that Lucid had licensed GAS from Google. Google Assistant works great in our Volvo to control our car's most commonly adjusted controls. And you can also ask it random questions like the rating of a restaurant you're driving by, or if this year is leap year, or what's the length of a Honda Accord. And Google navigation warns you if your programmed destination will be closed when you arrive there - surprisingly useful. I suppose this belongs in the "What will you give up to get your Lucid" thread.

I think that a trend is to have voice assistants take care of a lot of things. Alexa in the Lucid is just not ready. Mercedes Me seems to work better. I tend to forget that these assistants are available. Using them will take getting use to and I find "talking to my car" more of a distraction while driving than using my hands to push a button or turn a knob.

I still like some physical switches though. Lock doors, adjust the steering wheel and mirrors etc. My 2018 Navigator has a great mix of real buttons, not touch, and screen functions but my "Tesla son" likes a minimalist interior. :)
Voice is just a terrible way to control computers for so many reasons. It works in isolated situations, but trying to make everything voice controlled is a fool's errand.

So many friends in my nerd community disagree with me on this, and they are wrong. They grew up watching too much Star Trek.

I do not want to talk to my car. Especially not while I have other people in the car who are carrying on their own conversations at the same time. "Hey, quiet down, everyone. I need to adjust my music volume."

..."Hey, quiet down, everyone. I need to adjust my music volume."
Maybe that's why our Volvo has a volume/play/pause knob! Everything else is controlled by the touch screen.

We have five cars and to me, the Lucid UI is the worst and that includes a 2017 Mercedes. Just my option, so no need to tell me that I am wrong. The cabin layout and software UI of my 2018 Navigator is far easier for me to use.

I have written software for a very long time and could have done a much better job of laying out the UI. There are things blocked when my hands are on the steering wheel. There are buttons you need to push but if you are moving, they are hard to reach etc. If the programmers had a "mule" car with the correct screens to drive around they would have seen these issues and fixed them

Again, just my opinion. I am not posting this to argue with anyone but hope that Lucid will see the post and think about it.

There is a lot to like about the Lucid cars and I hope that management puts the same effort into the software that they put into the drive train.
A good sign of someone who was written software for a very long time is the realization that making assumptions like the idea that we understand all of the inherent limitations and function requirements is a bad idea. “I could have done better” is a troublesome line of thinking, and asking why it might have had to be this way for some reason is more interesting. It needs to get fixed, but I sincerely doubt it was haphazardly thrown together over a weekend either.

A good sign of someone who was written software for a very long time is the realization that making assumptions like the idea that we understand all of the inherent limitations and function requirements is a bad idea. “I could have done better” is a troublesome line of thinking, and asking why it might have had to be this way for some reason is more interesting. It needs to get fixed, but I sincerely doubt it was haphazardly thrown together over a weekend either.
We had a saying in the engineering industry that is still applicable today, “Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.”

I've outlawed the words "why can't we just" from the vocabularies of every team I work with. I also never directly reject decisions from designers when I wasn't in the room. Who knows how they got there, how many times the same argument I'm about to make has already been shot down, etc. I might offer a "have you considered…" but never a "This is stupid. Why don't we just…"

The longer I spend in this field, the more I see every decision not as someone missing some brilliant idea, but rather the result of a long, painful process of compromise.

I've outlawed the words "why can't we just" from the vocabularies of every team I work with. I also never directly reject decisions from designers when I wasn't in the room. Who knows how they got there, how many times the same argument I'm about to make has already been shot down, etc. I might offer a "have you considered…" but never a "This is stupid. Why don't we just…"

The longer I spend in this field, the more I see every decision not as someone missing some brilliant idea, but rather the result of a long, painful process of compromise.
Exactly. Questioning is important, but starting from the assumption that the other parties have done a great job and thought about the problem at length, rather than the assumption that you, at first glance, are going to immediately come up with a brilliant solution that has no issues and hasn’t been considered.

Can it happen? Sure. Will it? Unlikely.

And assuming the best still allows it to happen; it just doesn’t make you an arrogant prick. :)

A very valid point BUT sometimes a series of related compromises results in a final product that just doesn't work right. Simple application of the laws of statistics.

A very valid point BUT sometimes a series of related compromises results in a final product that just doesn't work right. Simple application of the laws of statistics.
Oh, sure. Compromise is always a choice somewhere in the middle of two opposing forces. And you absolutely can land on something that leans too heavily in one or the other direction. But questioning the choice without the context behind why that choice was made is an exercise in arrogance. And it often reveals a lack of understanding of process. Not to mention a complete lack of respect for those involved in that process.

Back