Air Touring 1 month review

I agree, there are way too many individuals who care more about farts and light shows than actual driving dynamics. I think what Porsche is doing with the Taycan (and hopefully the Macan EV due to be officially unveiled tomorrow !) is really smart. They know their customer base and tbh I would have gotten the GTA if I could afford it.

My issues with the software are more about just consistent results and intuitive interactions which I found missing compared to Tesla or even BMW. When I initiate an action I expect it to perform a certain action. If it doesn't generate the expected response or I have to dig through multiple menus to get there, it takes attention away from driving which is dangerous and counter productive. Also Apple CarPlay should be able to fill the bottom screen, especially if you're shorter like me and have to reach all the way forward to get to the top screen to initiate an action.
The screen position is apparently dictated by Apple in conjunction with individual manufacturers. It must have something to do with the driver not looking down from the road.

Would guess, all else equal, that the Touring handles *better* than a GT because of the the decreased weight.

I had a similar problem with mine originally. I went back and carefully read the directions where it says something like "make sure to use fresh batteries." I thought that there was no way that could be the problem, but I swapped out the battery in my garage remote and, voilà, it worked. Give it a whirl if you are still having issues.
Thanks Bobby, I'll give it a shot. What do I have to loose ; )

@drmaverick, the Air's Homelink transceiver is mounted at the front of the car, near the "C" in LUCID. If you are having trouble getting your car to recognize an existing garage remote's signal, be sure to hold the remote near the "C" when teaching the car.

If it appears the car is learning the remote correctly, but the garage door opener isn't "learning" the car's homelink signal, position the car so that its front bumper is directly under the opener when teaching the opener. To safely do this, you'll want to disengage the opener from the garage door by using the door's emergency release.

I've had to use this method to teach a Model 3 and a Macan. Both cars have the Homelink transceiver near the front bumper.
Thank you, I will definitely give it a shot to see if it works. I think you're right that it does recognize the remote but it fails to transmit the signal to the actual opener

Lots to read here about mileage - it will get better as you learn the car, and there are lots of settings you can tweak and techniques to obtain maximum efficiency - but fair warning, driving that way is boring. :)

Autopilot isn’t bad. It’s FSD that scares the crap out of me. I actually really like Hyundai’s system.

I think Lucid’s is really good at what has been delivered so far, but needs more features, which it’ll certainly get over time.

Can’t speak to this since I haven’t heard the base. But what SW version are you on? I do know they improved it significantly in a recent OTA.

Can you take a picture? I have not seen the same issue. They seem very high res to me.

You need to unlock the car. This got me the first few times too. There is also a manual release in the frunk (it’s in the manual) but 99% you need to unlock the car, haha.

What is the issue you’re having?
Thanks again, I will try and get some representative pictures to recreate the issues I've been having with the cameras.

I do have the latest software update running.

I agree, Tesla's FSD is scary AF. And Yes Hyundai probably has the best Driver assistance package out there currently.

I have owned 2 Lucid Air models. The Dream & the Stealth
Hi - in several of your posts you talk about owning a "Stealth" in addition to a Dream Edition. I was under the impression that "stealth" is an appearance package, and available on Touring and Grand Touring cars (maybe even 'Pure' for 2024??) I didn't think it was a separate trim level. So would it be more accurate (and helpful to other readers of your posts) to say which trim level you own rather than an appearance package, as the latter doesn't have an effect on range, features, interior, etc.?
Not trying to pick nits, just want to understand what trim you have when you talk about your experience with your cars.

Hi - in several of your posts you talk about owning a "Stealth" in addition to a Dream Edition. I was under the impression that "stealth" is an appearance package, and available on Touring and Grand Touring cars (maybe even 'Pure' for 2024??) I didn't think it was a separate trim level. So would it be more accurate (and helpful to other readers of your posts) to say which trim level you own rather than an appearance package, as the latter doesn't have an effect on range, features, interior, etc.?
Not trying to pick nits, just want to understand what trim you have when you talk about your experience with your cars.
He has a Stealth GT-P: https://x.com/baddriver20202/status/1664046984926494721

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses to my original post. I was able to resolve at least some of the issues based on the recommendations of the forum members and I guess that’s the whole point of sharing experiences positive or negative

I did forget to mention something which doesn’t really bother me that much but it seems like it’s pervasive across the model line. I’m referring to the clicking sound from the steering wheel. Members who have had this repaired or replaced, has the issue been resolved? Honestly for me, I only have the car for 18 months and most of the times am listening to music while driving so rarely notice it. Unless there is a functional problem, I would rather just ignore it.

My steering wheel made these noises. Service came, reproduced the problem, and disassembled down to the steering rack. Said the rack would need to be replaced but it needed to be done at a service center. The one near me hasn’t opened yet, so since the car was perfectly safe to drive and the sound a mild annoyance, I deferred.

Then I went on a trip for a few days and car parked. When I returned the noise was gone, and hasn’t returned.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses to my original post. I was able to resolve at least some of the issues based on the recommendations of the forum members and I guess that’s the whole point of sharing experiences positive or negative

I did forget to mention something which doesn’t really bother me that much but it seems like it’s pervasive across the model line. I’m referring to the clicking sound from the steering wheel. Members who have had this repaired or replaced, has the issue been resolved? Honestly for me, I only have the car for 18 months and most of the times am listening to music while driving so rarely notice it. Unless there is a functional problem, I would rather just ignore it.
Not sure what clicking you mean. Can you take a video?

I had some creaking when I torqued the steering wheel laterally; they have a new iteration of the steering wheel that fixes it and I haven’t had an issue in like 9 months.

Not sure what clicking you mean. Can you take a video?

I had some creaking when I torqued the steering wheel laterally; they have a new iteration of the steering wheel that fixes it and I haven’t had an issue in like 9 months.
Just to add another perspective to this issue, the attached video was taken by me last week. I've had my steering wheel replaced twice now, but the clicking when applying lateral pressure to the wheel persists. It's noticeabley worse when the car has been outside in direct sunlight.

Attachments

• 20240118_145813.mp4
    15.7 MB
Just to add another perspective to this issue, the attached video was taken by me last week. I've had my steering wheel replaced twice now, but the clicking when applying lateral pressure to the wheel persists. It's noticeabley worse when the car has been outside in direct sunlight.
My steering wheel did something similar. Took it in for 1 yr service and they replaced it. No issue since.

My steering wheel did something similar. Took it in for 1 yr service and they replaced it. No issue since.
I think there's a handful of owners that have had this persist after multiple wheel replacements, so I'm thinking this is a more isolated and difficult to diagnose problem. When I've had the wheel replaced its great for a week or two, but the clicking inevitably comes back. It really spoils the enjoyment of driving for me sometimes, but asking service to replace the wheel every month doesn't seem like a great solution.

That's exactly what mine sounded like, but was fixed with the replacement.

I had mine replaced for similar noises last month, assuming with the latest iteration. Sounds came back in about a week. It's not a huge deal to me; will ask about it on my next service appointment.

Can someone please confirm if the screen is oled or lcd. It doesn’t appear to be oled on my car due to light bleeds when I turn up the brightness.

Can someone please confirm if the screen is oled or lcd. It doesn’t appear to be oled on my car due to light bleeds when I turn up the brightness.
It is not OLED.

You don’t have to wake the car up, you just have to move your phone around. The phone puts Bluetooth into a sleep when it doesn’t sense movement, which is why it is almost always open by the time you’ve pulled out your phone. Literally shaking it in your pocket will do the same thing.

Taste is funny that way; I much prefer Lucid’s UX (from a design perspective) than Tesla’s word-heavy UX. But it might just take getting used to, either for me with Tesla or you with Lucid.

What do you mean by lags?

Yes, this is on the wishlist and they’re definitely aware of the request.
Oh my god the Bluetooth shake and wake explains so much

After having driven my Touring now for about a month, I figured it was time to share my experiences, especially the negative ones in case someone has found out a solution or work around to the issue.

The positives first -
  • This is probably the best driving car I have ever owned, Period! The ride and handling is exceptional. It’s not quite in the class of the Taycan GTS or even the 4S but it’s pretty darn good.
  • Noise levels are soooo much better compared to my Tesla Model X. I can actually hear myself think..hehe.
  • The fit and finish is excellent, no annoying rattles or squeaks yet though it’s only about a 1000 miles in 🤞.
  • The seats are supremely comfortable, I have lower back issues and I haven’t noticed any worsening at least on moderate distances. It is fairly low to the ground and entry/egress can be challenge, especially if you’re taller, but I have gotten used to it. Unfortunately I do have to twist quite a bit to get in but that’s really not the car’s fault, I knew this going in. It’s still better than the Taycan and even the Taycan Cross Turismo , probably the Model S as well, but adaptive suspension might make it even better.
  • Love having physical buttons for temp. and vol. control. Capacitive buttons for these should be out lawed!

I have long since realized that no car is perfect and this one too has it’s fair share of shortcomings. Fortunately some of these might be amenable to OTA updates, or at least I hope they would be.
  • The mobile key is a joke, and only works about half the time. This is even more annoying in the face of inclement weather where you are left standing like an idiot waiting for the mobile key to be recognized. One work around to this I discovered quite by accident is to launch the app or widget before heading to the car door. Or just use the physical key but that kind of defeats the purpose.
  • The software interface is a major let down, at least for me coming from a Tesla; aside from the convenience of having Carplay, the interface leaves much to be desired. The menus are strangely disconnected and I am still experiencing major lags especially on the music player, especially with Bluetooth and Sirius. More often than not, the car fails to recognize my phone and Sirius sometimes just doesn’t work. I have experienced lags with CarPlay as well though not quite as much as I thought I would.
  • Although the 2 screens are 5K OLED and of very high quality, I really wish there was a way to split the screens to work independently. For eg I would love to be able to have my music interface on the bottom screen and maps on the top screen. Even if I was able to keep CarPlay on the top screen and navigation/maps on the bottom one, it would still beat whatever Lucid has going on here. It’s annoying and frustrating knowing that this really does seem like something that could be enabled with an OTA update.
  • So far my mileage has been way off. I drive quite conservatively and so would have hoped for better economy but so far, that seems elusive.
  • Dream drive pro is decent but Tesla’s autopilot is miles ahead. TBH I think BMW’s IDrive is the best I have used thus far.
  • The base Surreal Sound system is weak. I was renting a Model 3 for a few months while I was waiting for this and although subjective, I personally found it way better. The sound was clearer and had a lot of depth and character. I expected much better from a $100000+ car.
  • I don’t know if it’s me but the resolution on the camera’s is pretty bad, again I am comparing this to our 2020 Model X.
  • This one really irked me and I am hoping someone has a solution; twice now the EA charging cable failed to dis engage after a charging session. No matter what I did it just wouldn’t budge. I somehow got it to release but am apprehensive of charging at EA anymore. Any ideas?
  • Home-link refuses to link to my garage door opener. I have had no problems connecting it to Tesla, Mercedes, BMW and Audi so it’s kinda annoying.

It seems like I have more negatives here than positives but I do genuinely love the car. It puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Some of the gripes are hardware related and I doubt would change at least on the current generation Airs. Apparently the Gravity will have Interface 3.0 so fingers crossed some of the software changes make their way into the Air, although I only have the car for 18 months, so hoping I wont have to wait that long.
I love the Grand Touring, but have also found similar shortcomings:
- There is an air whistle in the driver side window above 40mph.

Back