Brief review of software version 2.1.7 vs 2.0.71 for lengthy road trips

Demosthenes

On my most recent trip between San Diego and Vancouver, I drove to San Diego on 2.0.71 and drove back to Vancouver on 2.1.7. It’s about 1400 miles each way. Noticed a few things:

1. The native nav route planning in regards to remaining charge estimates and charging stops is much much better now. In fact, I usually arrived at the planned charging points a few miles richer than predicted as opposed to being typically comically (and in the early ignorant days dangerously!) short of the mark. This was true at a set speed of 75 mph the entire way with normal usage of climate control, infotainment, massage etc. I’m very happy about this. It means that I never have to replan my route or whip out other apps just to make sure my route is ok.

2. Automatic preconditioning seemed to help, maybe a lot. The nav would typically start preconditioning surprisingly early, close to an hour before arriving at the charge point. But I managed to get 200+ kWh charging speed at every station I visited. My previous experiences have been more erratic but I often either completely forget to precondition or I do so for maybe 10-15 minutes prior to charging. Maybe the automatic preconditioning helped or maybe I just got lucky with a string of good EA stations, who knows.

3. Individual volume control between nav and music was a welcome improvement (finally! Now just need separate nav and music on top and bottom screens. And sentry mode…)

4. Automatic lane keeping seems to be worse after update. It was never ironclad to begin with. In my experience, any speeds over 75 plus minor bends in the road would present a challenge to the lane keeping. Speeds of under 70 were pretty solid, but sharper bends in the road could still sometimes lead to failure. On 2.1.7, however, the lane keeping is overall noticeably less stable and the car sometimes ping pongs a bit even on a straight flat road with no other cars around. A bit disappointed by that, but the feature does still work enough that I could still use it 90% of the time while not really needing to manually control much.

5. The automatic set distances that the car keeps between the car in front seems to have globally increased. Now when set to the largest distance gap, the car in front seems much farther ahead. Also not super thrilled by that, but it’s an easy adjustment to make and the closest setting is still reasonably close.

6. When starting out in San Diego, the Nav repeatedly failed to plot a route all the way to Vancouver. Even when I successfully plotted it on the lucid phone app first and then pushed to the car, it still failed to display on the actual nav map even though the message did show up on the Home Screen of the glass cockpit. Had to eventually give up and plot my route to bellingham as an initial measure first. This has never happened to me so I’m not sure if it was just a one off or what 🤷🏼‍♂️

7. Exiting out of ACC is indeed smoother as claimed.

8. Zero need to perform any resets this time around so didn’t test out the infotainment reset upgrade

9. Max AC with one touch is a good feature to have. Not a game changer, but still useful when it’s hot out or immediately after charging. The max AC will also engage the driver seat vent.

10. I installed a solar panel on the back shelf of my car just to see if I could get anything out of it and despite my 3M tint blocking 80% of light, the panel still was able to produce enough power to run my dash cam continuously and maintain an external battery charged. Probably could’ve kept a phone or other small gadget charged as well 😂😂

I’m driving an AGT that was delivered in March 2022, has about 26k miles on it, running on 21 inch HRE forged monoblock non-aero wheels with Michelin PS AS tires at 45 psi. I also have the lucid roof racks installed and had an empty bike rack strapped in for the trip. Driving speed was set at 75 via ACC pretty much throughout and efficiency ranged between 2.8-3.6 m/kWh with the average probably close to about 3.1 or 3.2.

On my most recent trip between San Diego and Vancouver, I drove to San Diego on 2.0.71 and drove back to Vancouver on 2.1.7. It’s about 1400 miles each way. Noticed a few things:

1. The native nav route planning in regards to remaining charge estimates and charging stops is much much better now. In fact, I usually arrived at the planned charging points a few miles richer than predicted as opposed to being typically comically (and in the early ignorant days dangerously!) short of the mark. This was true at a set speed of 75 mph the entire way with normal usage of climate control, infotainment, massage etc. I’m very happy about this. It means that I never have to replan my route or whip out other apps just to make sure my route is ok.

2. Automatic preconditioning seemed to help, maybe a lot. The nav would typically start preconditioning surprisingly early, close to an hour before arriving at the charge point. But I managed to get 200+ kWh charging speed at every station I visited. My previous experiences have been more erratic but I often either completely forget to precondition or I do so for maybe 10-15 minutes prior to charging. Maybe the automatic preconditioning helped or maybe I just got lucky with a string of good EA stations, who knows.

3. Individual volume control between nav and music was a welcome improvement (finally! Now just need separate nav and music on top and bottom screens. And sentry mode…)

4. Automatic lane keeping seems to be worse after update. It was never ironclad to begin with. In my experience, any speeds over 75 plus minor bends in the road would present a challenge to the lane keeping. Speeds of under 70 were pretty solid, but sharper bends in the road could still sometimes lead to failure. On 2.1.7, however, the lane keeping is overall noticeably less stable and the car sometimes ping pongs a bit even on a straight flat road with no other cars around. A bit disappointed by that, but the feature does still work enough that I could still use it 90% of the time while not really needing to manually control much.

5. The automatic set distances

10. I installed a solar panel on the back shelf of my car just to see if I could get anything out of it and despite my 3M tint blocking 80% of light, the panel still was able to produce enough power to run my dash cam continuously and maintain an external battery charged. Probably could’ve kept hone or other small gadget charged as well
Wait a second! Can you show us your solar panel install and link to what you purchased?

Driving speed was set at 75 via ACC pretty much throughout and efficiency ranged between 2.8-3.6 m/kWh with the average probably close to about 3.1 or 3.2.
If you have a bike rack on your roof and are still getting 3.1 or 3.2, that’s very impressive. Those racks destroy aerodynamics, even empty.

@hydbob My solar panel ‘install’ was basically me finding the largest single panel that could fit on the back shelf behind the rear seat headrests and then connecting it to a power bank designed to also act as a solar generator via a simple DC adapter cord. Minimal real install required lol. Also, now that I’m in Vancouver I think my solar set up just isn’t strong enough to do anything meaningful with especially as we head into the fall/winter. My 80% tint doesn’t help either I’m sure haha…

Back I’m Cali, with the sun out I was able to generate somewhat useful electricity. Overall, with my circumstances being mostly in Vancouver these days, I’d say the attempt is mostly a failure so far.

@joec yes I’ve flaunted all the accepted wisdom of aerodynamics with my wheels and bike rack but interestingly have not really suffered major consequences as far as I can tell. Unless those HRE’s are actually much more aerodynamic than they look 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back