frustration

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
I've been enjoying reading this forum for about seven months. I appreciate the wisdom and the overall friendly tone of the members, and especially the aid and competence of the moderators. Many of you enjoy cars as a passion and some of you can afford to do so. Others on this forum have been waiting almost two years for a Lucid. I've been waiting 14 months.
There was much resentment of the journalist who cherry-picked the negatives from the forum for his article in a business publication. His negativity served little purpose other than decreasing the value of Lucid stock. With that said, even after software revision 2.0 many owners reported to this forum further glitches. I'm reasonably familiar with software and don't quite understand how Lucid manages to keep adding glitches with software revisions. If one sifts through the posts to this forum, it is painful to read the number of problems owners are experiencing with their very expensive Lucid vehicles. There's absolutely no excuse for windshield wipers to be inoperable or malfunction. I am aware that we're not supposed to compare Lucid cars to other EVs, and, indeed, the Air is one-of-a-kind, which is why I've been patiently waiting for 14 months. I appreciate that Lucid innovated the Wunderbox and its patented hardware such as the uniquely small, efficient motors and battery pack. I appreciate the company pursued its own R&D rather than using off-the-shelf components. However, when it comes to software it's time for Lucid to bite the bullet and get outside, truly professional help. If I recall, Cadillac and Volvo simply bought a package from Google (not to worry, it also works with Apple CarPlay) that has received favorable reviews.
There have been admonishments about not comparing Lucid to other companies and/or vehicles and I'm willing to cut the company some slack for being young and blazing a new trail. All I know is that my current Honda Accord Hybrid just turned 102,000 miles without more than standard maintenance. My previous Toyota Camry Hybrid turned 200,000 miles with only one issue (replacing a fuse box) beyond standard maintenance. I was an early adopter of these cars, the first off their respective assembly lines, when both were still made in Japan.
Finally, forgive the rant, but reading a recent post about offering employees an end-of-the-year discount to move vehicles is a slap in the face. Please don't misunderstand, I think it's great for a company to honor its crew this way, but not when thousands of customers are waiting for vehicles for which they've paid a deposit.
I've decided to give Lucid three more months to deliver my Pure and then I'm bailing. The Cadillac Lyriq, although it has 100 miles shorter range than the Pure and is not half as beautiful, is looking pretty attractive. There's a 6-9 month wait, but it also costs $20K less.
As I've posted before, please Lucid, give us a little more information and transparency. You know how many people paid deposits for each model and how many you are capable of producing per month.

You have some valid software concerns, and ultimately, only you can decide what will be a good purchase for you. I imagine we’ll continue to see growing pains for quite sometime, so if you’re frustrated now, you might be even more frustrated later. Or you might just really enjoy the drive once you’re behind that wheel.

The employee incentive is only for 2022 grand touring models. My guess is they’re just trying to quickly move the few they have sitting in inventory that are listed online. This should not impact Pure deliveries, so hoping no slaps in your face or anyone else’s. 😁

I'm very doubtful you will receive your Pure in 3 months, unless you are super early on the reservations AND your configuration happens to be in the first built group.

Regarding software, Lucid is still trying to build a luxury brand. Arguably, it would not be considered luxury if their UX was the same as a $30k car now would it? You can make arguments either way, but the UX definitely FEELS luxury even if it's implementation is still buggy. Isn't that part of what we are paying for though? If I wanted something that just worked, there are plenty of options like you suggested. What I am paying for here is something different. Better? Maybe not, but different right now is still worth it to me. Also, you won't find a better combination of speed, handling, comfort and usability in anything right now.

If one sifts through the posts to this forum, it is painful to read the number of problems owners are experiencing with their very expensive Lucid vehicles.
I completely agree with those that have already responded to you. Reiterating that the discounts and specific cars offered to employees have not jumped the line in front of waiting customers for their Tourings/Pures.

Regarding the part I quoted above: Remember that it's mostly mad/frustrated people that take to the forums to air their complaints/concerns. MOST owners are completely satisfied and not experiencing major difficulties, they just aren't coming on the forum to say "Hey, made it on all my errands or to work and back with no issues". I'm not diminishing those that have had glitches or breakdowns, but even most of those have been handled appropriately and swiftly by Lucid customer service.

Being a customer who waited 2 1/2 years for their car, I can honestly say without hesitation it was well worth the wait!

I've been enjoying reading this forum for about seven months. I appreciate the wisdom and the overall friendly tone of the members, and especially the aid and competence of the moderators. Many of you enjoy cars as a passion and some of you can afford to do so. Others on this forum have been waiting almost two years for a Lucid. I've been waiting 14 months.
There was much resentment of the journalist who cherry-picked the negatives from the forum for his article in a business publication. His negativity served little purpose other than decreasing the value of Lucid stock. With that said, even after software revision 2.0 many owners reported to this forum further glitches. I'm reasonably familiar with software and don't quite understand how Lucid manages to keep adding glitches with software revisions. If one sifts through the posts to this forum, it is painful to read the number of problems owners are experiencing with their very expensive Lucid vehicles. There's absolutely no excuse for windshield wipers to be inoperable or malfunction. I am aware that we're not supposed to compare Lucid cars to other EVs, and, indeed, the Air is one-of-a-kind, which is why I've been patiently waiting for 14 months. I appreciate that Lucid innovated the Wunderbox and its patented hardware such as the uniquely small, efficient motors and battery pack. I appreciate the company pursued its own R&D rather than using off-the-shelf components. However, when it comes to software it's time for Lucid to bite the bullet and get outside, truly professional help. If I recall, Cadillac and Volvo simply bought a package from Google (not to worry, it also works with Apple CarPlay) that has received favorable reviews.
There have been admonishments about not comparing Lucid to other companies and/or vehicles and I'm willing to cut the company some slack for being young and blazing a new trail. All I know is that my current Honda Accord Hybrid just turned 102,000 miles without more than standard maintenance. My previous Toyota Camry Hybrid turned 200,000 miles with only one issue (replacing a fuse box) beyond standard maintenance. I was an early adopter of these cars, the first off their respective assembly lines, when both were still made in Japan.
Finally, forgive the rant, but reading a recent post about offering employees an end-of-the-year discount to move vehicles is a slap in the face. Please don't misunderstand, I think it's great for a company to honor its crew this way, but not when thousands of customers are waiting for vehicles for which they've paid a deposit.
I've decided to give Lucid three more months to deliver my Pure and then I'm bailing. The Cadillac Lyriq, although it has 100 miles shorter range than the Pure and is not half as beautiful, is looking pretty attractive. There's a 6-9 month wait, but it also costs $20K less.
As I've posted before, please Lucid, give us a little more information and transparency. You know how many people paid deposits for each model and how many you are capable of producing per month.
As much as you may not like to hear this, based on your specs, you have maybe a 1% chance of getting it in 3 months..

As much as you may not like to hear this, based on your specs, you have maybe a 1% chance of getting it in 3 months..
Sorry to agree, regarding Pure delivery times. The Air Touring is next in line. I just finalized my Touring design, and Lucid gave me a vague 1Q2023 delivery estimate. I'm taking that to mean the end of the quarter. Guessing the Pure will be after that.

Better order your Lyriq now.. or just wait !

Better order your Lyriq now.. or just wait !

Good luck on that. I put in a deposit on a Lyriq 9 months ago and never heard from the dealer. I finally called and they said there was a long waiting list and they had yet to see one.

I prefer a smaller car and lucked into discovering the Genesis GV60. Only sold in 8 states with limited availability. A luxury small SUV (really a raised hatch) with Nappa leather, 429 HP (483 with boost mode), easy entry/exit, blind spot display, HUD, real SXM, etc. If you can tolerate a smaller car this could be an alternative (the GV60 and the Lyriq are two of the three finalists for North America Utility of the Year).

Good luck on that. I put in a deposit on a Lyriq 9 months ago and never heard from the dealer. I finally called and they said there was a long waiting list and they had yet to see one.

I prefer a smaller car and lucked into discovering the Genesis GV60. Only sold in 8 states with limited availability. A luxury small SUV (really a raised hatch) with Nappa leather, 429 HP (483 with boost mode), easy entry/exit, blind spot display, HUD, real SXM, etc. If you can tolerate a smaller car this could be an alternative (the GV60 and the Lyriq are two of the three finalists for North America Utility of the Year).
I put my Lyriq AWD deposit in around the same time (on the day orders opened). Local dealer called me a couple of weeks later to tell me that the received only two allocations for all of the orders they received. I was first in line so I took the allocation and have a confirmed order (with an order number in the GM system). I haven’t checked on the status lately since the expected delivery is Q1 2023. Your order is probably just waiting on an allocation.

The software isn’t THAT glitchy. I’ve heard of a total of one case where the wipers didn’t work. Sure the auto intermittent high/low never quite find the Goldilocks zone but auto wipers are like that on most cars, so just set it to constant low or high. @hydbob is exactly correct about the UX, what’s great about it is almost any function you need is either immediately available or not many layers deep, and the display is just intuitive and elegant. The cockpit (or back seat) if this car is just a genuinely nice and pleasant place to be. The car often improves my mood once I get into it. That’s my definition of luxury. So yeah if the camera glitches out briefly, or the audio system crashes (not too common these occur but could definitely be less), well I just do a reset, which works, then go back to enjoying the car and forget about that little hiccup. Cadillac’s idea of luxury and Lucid’s idea are very different. Cadillac is more old-Italian-grandpa luxury, I absolutely hated the CT5 I had as a rental car, whereas Lucid does seem to have this “post-luxury” vibe where the car isn’t going to be a Rolls Royce pillow of excess, but is much less bloated but clever and most importantly good at being many things at once. So yeah it sucks that you might have to wait 3-6 more months for that, but I think it would be worth the wait.

I must be “in the minority”, but I’ve had very few issues with my AGT <knocking on wood>. A few very minor fit and finish issues resolved quickly by mobile service. All updates have installed smoothly (and I’m impressed at their frequency). UX already works generally as promised and gets better every week. And ohhh is it fun to drive. Even on the 19” all season tires, just point it where you want to go and hang on.

Waiting is tough. It took me 9 months and one color change to get mine. But I don’t regret it in the least.

I'm very doubtful you will receive your Pure in 3 months, unless you are super early on the reservations AND your configuration happens to be in the first built group.

Regarding software, Lucid is still trying to build a luxury brand. Arguably, it would not be considered luxury if their UX was the same as a $30k car now would it? You can make arguments either way, but the UX definitely FEELS luxury even if it's implementation is still buggy. Isn't that part of what we are paying for though? If I wanted something that just worked, there are plenty of options like you suggested. What I am paying for here is something different. Better? Maybe not, but different right now is still worth it to me. Also, you won't find a better combination of speed, handling, comfort and usability in anything right now.
I disagree that the UX feels Luxury. It’s not very good and if the UX from a 2023 Honda Civic replaced it I wouldn’t be waiting for the car to unlock or having second thoughts about my sapphire order. One year in and the car still doesn’t unlock consistently, no car play, Nav locks up about 25% of the time I use it, and at least once a week the Bluetooth stops working. The basic design of “throwing” upper panel to pilot panel is a terrible idea for something you use while driving. The park distance screen still looks like it was an after thought, and the settings screen is mostly text based. There is a reason both BMW and Mercedes newest interfaces emulate Android or iOS in appearance. We are 15 years into touch screen interface being widely available on consumer products Lucid has not created something better, it’s different to be different and it sucks.

I disagree that the UX feels Luxury. It’s not very good and if the UX from a 2023 Honda Civic replaced it I wouldn’t be waiting for the car to unlock or having second thoughts about my sapphire order. One year in and the car still doesn’t unlock consistently, no car play, Nav locks up about 25% of the time I use it, and at least once a week the Bluetooth stops working. The basic design of “throwing” upper panel to pilot panel is a terrible idea for something you use while driving. The park distance screen still looks like it was an after thought, and the settings screen is mostly text based. There is a reason both BMW and Mercedes newest interfaces emulate Android or iOS in appearance. We are 15 years into touch screen interface being widely available on consumer products Lucid has not created something better, it’s different to be different and it sucks.
With your prior issues and overall thoughts here, I'm surprised you have another one on order. Do you enjoy driving the car to the extent that you overlook these things?

I recall during my ownership of the MS, meeting a friend for lunch and afterwards, having no backup camera at all. It never came back until the next day despite trying multiple reboots. That safety issue began my journey away from Tesla. I had previous issues with delayed MS backup camera functions, but never where it simply stopped for an entire day.

With your prior issues and overall thoughts here, I'm surprised you have another one on order. Do you enjoy driving the car to the extent that you overlook these things?

I recall during my ownership of the MS, meeting a friend for lunch and afterwards, having no backup camera at all. It never came back until the next day despite trying multiple reboots. That safety issue began my journey away from Tesla. I had previous issues with delayed MS backup camera functions, but never where it simply stopped for an entire day.
Lucid’s camera glitches are almost entirely brief and temporary. For me anytime it’s happened I just put the car in park then reverse again and that fixed it. Only once did it require a reboot but that was on a software version several versions ago.

I do enjoy driving the car. I am still hopeful that under the management of Derrick Carty, Lucid's software will improve. He started in June.
Unfortunately, I think bluetooth is a very poor technology choice for lock/unlock and software alone probably can not make it right.
If I get the call to take delivery on the Sapphire and there is no CarPlay and the UI is the same as today, it will be a difficult leap of faith.

I completely agree with those that have already responded to you. Reiterating that the discounts and specific cars offered to employees have not jumped the line in front of waiting customers for their Tourings/Pures.

Regarding the part I quoted above: Remember that it's mostly mad/frustrated people that take to the forums to air their complaints/concerns. MOST owners are completely satisfied and not experiencing major difficulties, they just aren't coming on the forum to say "Hey, made it on all my errands or to work and back with no issues". I'm not diminishing those that have had glitches or breakdowns, but even most of those have been handled appropriately and swiftly by Lucid customer service.

Being a customer who waited 2 1/2 years for their car, I can honestly say without hesitation it was well worth the wait!
Happy to hear, AirDoll. Glad your experience has been splendid to date.

The software isn’t THAT glitchy. I’ve heard of a total of one case where the wipers didn’t work. Sure the auto intermittent high/low never quite find the Goldilocks zone but auto wipers are like that on most cars, so just set it to constant low or high. @hydbob is exactly correct about the UX, what’s great about it is almost any function you need is either immediately available or not many layers deep, and the display is just intuitive and elegant. The cockpit (or back seat) if this car is just a genuinely nice and pleasant place to be. The car often improves my mood once I get into it. That’s my definition of luxury. So yeah if the camera glitches out briefly, or the audio system crashes (not too common these occur but could definitely be less), well I just do a reset, which works, then go back to enjoying the car and forget about that little hiccup. Cadillac’s idea of luxury and Lucid’s idea are very different. Cadillac is more old-Italian-grandpa luxury, I absolutely hated the CT5 I had as a rental car, whereas Lucid does seem to have this “post-luxury” vibe where the car isn’t going to be a Rolls Royce pillow of excess, but is much less bloated but clever and most importantly good at being many things at once. So yeah it sucks that you might have to wait 3-6 more months for that, but I think it would be worth the wait.
Sorry, I have to disagree. The software IS that glitchy. All you have to do is go look at the Members Only section for the number of bugs. Not know for their reliability or software, I have a 2022 Land Rover Defender that has 18,000 miles on it and never one glitch. And, they completely rewrote the software and came out with PiviPro as the interface. I'm not trying to compare the vehicles, nothing drives like the Lucid. But, for $150,000 I would have expected better quality control. Maybe they should have outsourced the software development to a software company.

Still love my car but it's still in the shop because of a software error, amongst other items that I wouldn't have expected to be wrong with the car.

I have 2 friends that loved driving their Lucids and sold them in the past month because of the problems.

I also want to give a shout out to the Scottsdale Service Center. They've been responsive and informative. Thanks, John.

I do enjoy driving the car. I am still hopeful that under the management of Derrick Carty, Lucid's software will improve. He started in June.
Unfortunately, I think bluetooth is a very poor technology choice for lock/unlock and software alone probably can not make it right.
If I get the call to take delivery on the Sapphire and there is no CarPlay and the UI is the same as today, it will be a difficult leap of faith.
The BT Technology works fine with my Tesla Model S so the technology does work. With the AGT I never walk up to the car and the doors present. I am always waiting 30 seconds or so for the vehicle to wake up and present the handles while I tap on the handles.

It’s a shame that lock/unlock still seems to be an issue to some. When I first got my GT back in March (software version 1.2.something I think), I also had intermittent problems with that but somewhere along the way those problems completely disappeared. For me and my needs, the car works nearly flawlessly now. Still excited to see what happens with every update!

Back