Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging

Keith

Verified Owner
Cars
Ioniq 5, Air Touring
Over Thanksgiving last month we drove our Air Pure from NH to FL. Charging added about 4 hours to the trip, and thankfully the EA chargers worked and we really never waited in line.

One bothersome issue we had however was Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging. I only noticed this the one time. While at Walmart somewhere in GA late at night it was very chilly and we put on the heat; the heated seats were working. Set to the maximum value, we never got any warm air from the vents. After disconnecting and driving off, we did have heat.

I spoke to the Mobile Tech (who was here for the Easy Entry Seat Homing) about this. He said he hadn't heard of this before and we discussed the "heat loop" and heater core radiator (which I didn't think the Air had) .. and he speculated that it could be an energy conservation thing while charging. I really didn't buy that .. and he said he'd check with the other techs.

Q: Has anyone experienced no Cabin Heat while DC Fast Charging?

Thanks /keith

I didn't realize that we don't have a heat pump in the Air for situations like this. When I heard it mentioned as being offered in the future at the Gravity launch I was already envious of future owners due to living in a cold climate.
It exists in the Sapphire.

I find Cabin heat is not functional when Pre conditioning the battery too. I am traveling from Minneapolis to Florida and have to stop every 200miles, last 50 miles of 200 is no heat 🥶.
My EPA is 50%. Hope when i am back in Florida, i dont have to worry about cold 😅.

Good thing is, i have no Issues with EA from last 3 stops and this are the only 3 stops i used since my purchase. So it stands at 100% success at this point 😀

FYI & FWIW - It *was* GA where we had no heat while charging (about 9pm). But it was missing in the previously posted table because is hadn't showed up in the Lucid App Charging History. The $$$ is calculated from .48/kw EA cost though actually paid by Lucid free EA charging. I estimated the numbers for line 6, and also added the Distance between charging as well per Google Maps. I suggested to Customer Care they add the odometer to the Charging History if that would be possible. /keith
1702648382468.png

In the car charging right now, chilly, and really sad about this.

If this isn’t your first EV you definitely have certain expectations and this “this-or-that” situation was for sure not one of mine.

The heated seats will cook your ass on high, if that's not enough to keep you warm may I suggest a thermos of buttered rum :cool:
Yes. I’ve charged a number of times in temperatures below 10 degrees, and I’ve never been uncomfortably cold in the car. Seat heat works wonders. I also don’t leave the doors open for more than a few seconds getting out to plug in and back in. Save the heat already inside as long as you can.

In the car charging right now, chilly, and really sad about this.

If this isn’t your first EV you definitely have certain expectations and this “this-or-that” situation was for sure not one of mine.
I crank the the heat as I near the station and until battery cooling starts. The cabin has been nice and toasty for me with this methI’d….for the most part.

Back